mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Palm Springs Day Trip

This Saturday I'm heading out to LA to start an 8 week tour of the US. I've planned for a 1 night stop over in Palm Springs to spend the day mountain biking in Joshua Tree NP park. I'm a newb to mountain biking - I'm normally a roadie. Can anyone recommend any trails I can do that would be fun but not too technically difficult and would take me through the more scenic areas of the park.

I will be there on Wednesday 26th if anyone wants to ride with me
    Stu

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi,

I believe that bikes are only allowed on the fire/jeep roads in Joshua Tree.

You can probably do a search on the forums here for Joshua Tree and possibly find some ride reports with names of areas.

I've never ridden there, so can't be much help!

mtbr member
    i don't want to rain on your parade , but joshua tree park is not a place to mtb. the fire roads are to soft to ride and there's no good riding up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I'm mainly interested in the scenery so looks like I'll stick to road biking for this one.
    Anyone fancy a spot of road biking & hiking in JT?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    He is right. All soft..not too fun. You should get great road scenery just cruzing the park. My recomendation is to go at sun up or sundown and catch the transition of light. The desert is an amazing place to visit right now. Bring a spare tube or 10.
    C

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sounds cool, that's exactly what I have in mind. Any advice on which areas I should head towards for best scenery? I've read that there's bike racks in the park so I can stop for some hiking.
    Looking at the map it doesn't look like there are roads in from Palm Springs. Is it possible to pick up a bike rental at Twentynine Palms or inside the park? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    try joels bike shop there number is 760 343 2271

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks I will them a try - Although, it looks like they're based in Thousand Palms. Anyone know of a bike shop near the park entrance?