mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Palm Springs Art Smith Trail

The Art Smith trail sounds fantastic and I'd really like to ride it while visiting the area in March. However, I've found conflicting information regarding the trail's status. I've read the annual trail closure is voluntary and that there are never any sheep in the area and I've read the closure is law and there are numerous sheep in the area.

If I ride this trail in March will I end up in the slammer?

What is the official status of the Art Smith trail?

mtbr member
    Closure is voluntary. Let your moral compass be your guide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The trail closure is voluntary....but I think that the way the BLM treats this issue is ridiculous....they should either make the trail OPEN or CLOSED (red or green....not grey) all they do is cause confusion (and guilty feelings for disrupting the mating habits of the sheep)....if the trail is CLOSED I guarantee that the majority of MTB's riders would honor the closure......

Its been my experience, on the other hand, that hikers would poach the trail (like they are doing on the closed sections of the Angeles Forest after the Station fire)

Okay, rant over.....if you want more info on the "voluntary" closure, here is the link to the BLM management plan....and if you decide to ride during the voluntary closure, I feel sorry for you on judgement day......

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...TrailsAltA.pdf

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Unfortunately art smith has been "maintenanced". It's been dumbed down significantly with all granite feautes being buried - no more exposed rock anywhere - now all buff singletrack. Think bike path in your local park and I'm not exaggerating. It's quite sad as this was our best technical climb and descent in the desert.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    you got to be kidding...........

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    you got to be kidding...........
    Apparently the forest service has been getting their down time workouts by hiking and doing trail maintenance. They've sanitized some of the goat trails too. The work on Art is extensive. They covered a lot of natural, beautiful rock on that trail. It was very fun to climb and descend and I imagine nice to hike too as it was natural and interesting. The waterfall section that was steps of rock is built up smooth packed dirt now, and that's just one spot. Must have been a very large crew out there - they moved a lot of dirt and maintained it from end to end. The good thing is we've been getting rain to wash it out and people are working to restore its goodness.

mtbr member
    That's too bad about the " maintenance". Has anyone ridden the old descent back down to the parking lot lately? I'm wondering if it's still in decent condition to ride or if it's strictly off limits?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    That's too bad about the " maintenance". Has anyone ridden the old descent back down to the parking lot lately? I'm wondering if it's still in decent condition to ride or if it's strictly off limits?
    Please try to avoid it. The bighorn psycho office is directly across the street. They are ALWAYS monitoring that area and looking for ANY reason to close ALL of the trails to everyone but them.