mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Palm Desert Riding

Staying at the Palm Desert Westin for the 4th of July. I did a search and found some posts about 25 mile rides, but we are looking for something around 10 miles. I figure we would start early to beat the heat, then get back to the hotel for cocktails and relaxation. Would prefer technical rocky riding, but will be happy with any recommendation. On a side note a recommendation for a good local brewery would also be awesome. If anyone is interested in joining us, I am a slow old man that rides with my fast young son...just so you know what you are dealing with. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Two areas close to town that I like:

Goat Trails. They are right above the Vons on Hwy 111. Check out mountainbikebill.com for some maps and info. The goat trails are mostly not well signed. But if you head up the road from Vons and then start linking up singletrack up the hill you should find some goods. Try to get up to the top of Wildhorse trail and you will have a fun descent back down. If you make good time up that you can try going up and over Murray Peak (Clara Burgess Tr). Its a steep switchback trail up and down. Pretty fun though. Goat trails are rocky technical and meet your distance requirement.

There is also a bunch of trails above the other Vons near the intersection of Hwys 111 and 74. Its more contour singletrack but still pretty nice. It will have more hiker traffic. I don't know that its on anything except hiker maps. You can find it if you go in behind the shopping center on Painters Path off Fred Waring drive. You will see the trailhead and the lineup of range rovers and beemers parked up. There are multiple options starting at the same spot. Take the left most option and stay on the most travelled main trail. There will be lots of off shoots going down to neighborhoods. If you keep on the right path you can make it all the way to a cross at the top of a hill. That's one good turnaround point. (It keeps going but I wouldn't recommend going further this time of year).

Have fun. Just know that you won't beat the heat in July, it probably won't go below 70 at night. I'd be pedalling as soon as its light enough to see, it warms up fast once the sun is up.

If you really want to beat the heat take a drive up Hwy 74 to Idyllwild. There are some awesome trails up there and it will be cool in the early mornings, 80's in the day. The Hub bike shop up there can help with trails. Worth doing for one day for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow!! thanks so much for all that info. I think the goat trails sound about perfect. I hear ya about the heat...that's why we are planning on being out for only a couple of hours. Thanks again...happy riding.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Two areas close to town that I like:

Goat Trails. They are right above the Vons on Hwy 111. Check out mountainbikebill.com for some maps and info. The goat trails are mostly not well signed. But if you head up the road from Vons and then start linking up singletrack up the hill you should find some goods. Try to get up to the top of Wildhorse trail and you will have a fun descent back down. If you make good time up that you can try going up and over Murray Peak (Clara Burgess Tr). Its a steep switchback trail up and down. Pretty fun though. Goat trails are rocky technical and meet your distance requirement.

There is also a bunch of trails above the other Vons near the intersection of Hwys 111 and 74. Its more contour singletrack but still pretty nice. It will have more hiker traffic. I don't know that its on anything except hiker maps. You can find it if you go in behind the shopping center on Painters Path off Fred Waring drive. You will see the trailhead and the lineup of range rovers and beemers parked up. There are multiple options starting at the same spot. Take the left most option and stay on the most travelled main trail. There will be lots of off shoots going down to neighborhoods. If you keep on the right path you can make it all the way to a cross at the top of a hill. That's one good turnaround point. (It keeps going but I wouldn't recommend going further this time of year).

Have fun. Just know that you won't beat the heat in July, it probably won't go below 70 at night. I'd be pedalling as soon as its light enough to see, it warms up fast once the sun is up.

If you really want to beat the heat take a drive up Hwy 74 to Idyllwild. There are some awesome trails up there and it will be cool in the early mornings, 80's in the day. The Hub bike shop up there can help with trails. Worth doing for one day for sure.
    As has been said, Idyllwild or Hurkey Creek are the best choices. It is only about 45 min to Hurkey Creek from PD. The Bump n' Grind trail in PD is actually good and the closest. It gains just under 1,000 feet in two miles and there are a few trails that connect to it. The humidity in the morning on the valley floor doesn't make it comfortable to ride though, but it can be done if you don't mind a little suffering.