mtbr member

Palm Desert area

I am going to Palm Desert this weekend for 4 days and want everyone's fav trails. I've been there several times road biking but not on the dirt(my host preferred the road but is now agreeing to test the trails down there)
    Before you get on me about doing a search, I admit that I am being lazy and haven't looked around the forum yet for info, but I really wanted to ask some specific details. I bought the SoCal mtn bike trails book by David Story and Laurie and Chris Leman for some preliminary info.
    Here are my specific questions:
    What are the best trails in the area and are there any that aren't SS friendly? We are from SLC and ride all the trails here w/ SS and are in reasonable shape (maybe that's overstating the fitness w/ the winter we've had).
    We're staying just off the main strip in Palm Desert a couple of blocks from where 111 meets 74, so I assume that it'd be the easiest to ride up 74 across from the visitor center and jump on the trails there.
    We also have minivans rented so we can drive if we wanted and especially if there are some "must ride" rides somewhere within an hour or so from Palm Desert.
    It looks like there are several just up 74, there are some in Joshua tree and if I'm not mistaken, it seems someone told me there was a 24 hour race course on the other side of the mountains that had some good singletrack.
    Recommendations??
    Thanks in advance.

"It's all ball bearings"

Blue Dot Junkie
    You'll be staying very close to the Art Smith trail, which you'll probably enjoy.
    If you have time for an all-day ride you might consider the Palm Canyon run... a worthy ride for a day of vacation.

They're all SS friendly, in my opinion...
    I earn my living building Siren Bicycles

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    +1 for Palm Canyon, to Hahn, to Wild Horse, to Clara Burgess and finally to bottom. about 30 miles, 6000+ descent and 2500+ ascent.

mtbr member
    tibiker325 go up 74 there are the box springs trails or hurkey creek. if your interestead in riding up there this weekend let me know . i would be down to ride up there this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The Art Smith trail is about 15 minutes from where you'll be. Steep fire roads going up and some fun and semi-technical singletrack coming down. I don't know much about SS riding, but I have to think some of the climbs would be tough.

Idyllwild is where you really need to go. It's just about an hour from where you'll be. There's a 24 hour race at Hurkey Creek which is about 10 minutes before you get to Idyllwild. Lots of good singletrack, probably good SS riding. There's a handful of places in this area that are good.

I have short descriptions with pictures of both places on my blog. Check geoladders for more details on the routes. Have fun.

Blue Dot Junkie
    I'll be in the shop this weekend, but I'm always available to point riders in the direction of good trails up here in Idyllwild (mi casa, su casa). The trail conditions are outstanding right now.

Still, for as much as like it up here, there's piles of good riding in the PD area- and this is prime season down there as well. The desert is blooming right now & it's not so hot that you'll fry yourself riding mid-day. If you have other things to do during your visit (visit with friends, eat, drink, be merry, live, etc) I'd say save yourself the fossil fuels & enjoy the desert singletrack.
    I earn my living building Siren Bicycles