Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr dismember

Palm Canyon UncleMTB 50th ride?

How about a Palm Canyon ride to celebrate UncleMTB's 50th birthday in early February? Saturday February 4th or 11th? This ride requires some logistics, including self-shuttling, so it would be nice if someone from down south did some of the planning. We had a great time last spring. Check out the ride reports, photos and videos:

Palm Spring epic pics

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/PalmSprings/index.htm

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I might be able to make it

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    How about a Palm Canyon ride to celebrate UncleMTB's 50th birthday in early February? Saturday February 4th or 11th? This ride requires some logistics, including self-shuttling, so it would be nice if someone from down south did some of the planning. We had a great time last spring. Check out the ride reports, photos and videos:
    not sure if I can though. it'll be a pretty late decision for me if I can make it.

My baby is due 1/29/06 so I'm not sure if I'll be granted a full day furlough that soon after birth or not..............we'll see.

YR

mtbr member

wife + newborn = epic?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    My baby is due 1/29/06 so I'm not sure if I'll be granted a full day furlough that soon after birth or not..............we'll see.

YR
    Congrats YR, but....

Heh, um good luck on that one... like your wife's letting you leave for an all day epic with a week old baby. You'll be lucky to ride around the block

I might be in on this ride, been wanting to hit it up for some time now.

Its only 1" on the map!

Palm Spring epic pics

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/PalmSprings/index.htm
    If you can ride on Sunday the 5th, I can show the way. I'll cover you and UncleMTB for the shuttle. (I should even have a roomier truck by then)

We will plan more as things develop, but all plan on your entire day being out on this 31 mileish route. According to how many decide to do this ride, well setup an A and an A Minus group. This route is not for B groups (mostly based on length/endurance requirements).

Shuttle setups can be tricky so that will be the biggest logistics crunch.

-Bill

hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by burner
    Congrats YR, but....

Heh, um good luck on that one... like your wife's letting you leave for an all day epic with a week old baby. You'll be lucky to ride around the block

I might be in on this ride, been wanting to hit it up for some time now.
    yeah, I know it's pretty much wishful thinking.............I've already had to back out of a fantastic New Year's Day epic since I can't be gone that long. Man, who'd ever thought parenthood would cut into my riding time! ;-)

on the plus side, I can still remember driving home from a morning ride at Martha's Grove/Sycamore Canyon 2 1/2 years ago when my wife called me to ask how long I'd be until I got home. I said, 20 minutes why? Cuz my water just broke! rush home, jump in the shower and then head to the hospital. 36 freaking hours later..........My son finally decided to come out and see us!

YR

mtbr dismember

We're in!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    If you can ride on Sunday the 5th, I can show the way. I'll cover you and UncleMTB for the shuttle.
    Just talked to Tim and we're in! I'm getting him down there as a birthday present and you can do the rest. You did a masterful job last year. Really looking forward to it, especially since I have both a better bike and helmet-cam system this year.

I've been putting off a ride down that way for too long, I'm in. Plus, I need a little idea of what that big five-oh ride is like, mine's coming real soon.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MTBr ReMember

Thanks Bill...

If you can ride on Sunday the 5th, I can show the way. I'll cover you and UncleMTB for the shuttle. (I should even have a roomier truck by then)

We will plan more as things develop, but all plan on your entire day being out on this 31 mileish route. According to how many decide to do this ride, well setup an A and an A Minus group. This route is not for B groups (mostly based on length/endurance requirements).

Shuttle setups can be tricky so that will be the biggest logistics crunch.

-Bill
    ...It's going to get tougher to do SoCal with my son tranfering to Va...

I've been looking forward to a big ride for my B-day and I couldn't swing the Copper Canyon deal...maybe for my 60th...I'll see what Steve does for his and then decide!

See you on the 5th of Feb...
    Tim

Just another FOCer

Good job! I'm in!

Count me in as well with some of my OC peeps.

Can't wait to hit the Dry Wash Trail aka Highway to Hell again:

[SIZE=1]Photo by Wherewolf[/SIZE]

Just talked to Tim and we're in! I'm getting him down there as a birthday present and you can do the rest. You did a masterful job last year. Really looking forward to it, especially since I have both a better bike and helmet-cam system this year.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

5 x 5

I would like to come

Mind if I tag along? I can fit two in comfort, four a little cramped.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

Medium?

Basdiges...

That's my wife's b-day. The 24 Hrs of Laguna Seca is mother's day weekend too.

I've got AZSF pencilled in though...

OMR - Old Man Riding

Good job! Oh Yeah....

How about a Palm Canyon ride to celebrate UncleMTB's 50th birthday in early February? Saturday February 4th or 11th?

We did the Pinion Flats ride this last Friday with a small group in a little over 6 hours and had a ball... except for the 3 miles of the sandy wash up to Dunn's Road. Very glad that I had read one of the threads of a previous Pinion Flats ride... I took my body armor and was glad I did! Other than a couple of flats, our group had a great ride. Perfect time to ride weather-wise.

How does the Palm Canyon Ride compare to the Pinion Flats ride??? I'd go back in a heart beat!

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    We did the Pinion Flats ride this last Friday with a small group in a little over 6 hours and had a ball... except for the 3 miles of the sandy wash up to Dunn's Road. Very glad that I had read one of the threads of a previous Pinion Flats ride... I took my body armor and was glad I did! Other than a couple of flats, our group had a great ride. Perfect time to ride weather-wise.

How does the Palm Canyon Ride compare to the Pinion Flats ride??? I'd go back in a heart beat!
    The Pinion Flats trail joins the Palm Canyon trail after about 4 miles at in the canyon bottom. The Pinion Flats trail is a faster trail than the traditional Palm Canyon trail, but top of Palm Canyon is very narrow, often rugged and more exposed that is better "sipped" than "chugged". Those scared of heights usually get nervous on parts of that section. They are both good trails.

Just another FOCer
    Sunday February 5th is Super Bowl Sunday.

Looks like I'm out.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

Its only 1" on the map!

Palm Canyon Qualifier List

Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    Mind if I tag along? I can fit two in comfort, four a little cramped.
    Posting here, pretty much makes this an open invite ride.

General Rule for those deciding to do this ride:

This is a big freaking ride at 31 miles over some rugged terrain and you may end up out there all day. This ride really stresses cardio-endurance and while falling into an mid-intermediate level on the technical arena for the majority of the ride there are some hairy sections (The route we are going), mostly in the later half of the ride.

If you have never done an "epic", this may not be your best ride choice for your first one.

Here are a couple of SoCal trail routes that I have done that I think if you can do one of these rides you'll be okay to do this ride.

- You have started at the bottom of Noble, rode up the pavement and done Indian Truck Trail to Noble, did the Big Laguna Trail and then went down Noble.

- You have gone up Harding Truck Trail, over Santiago Peak, down Holy Jim and looped back to the Harding Truck Trail. (Thats harder climbing, but matches endurance drain)

- You have done the Cannell Plunge ride in Kernville.

For the other Palm Canyon Vets here, what other trails do you think will put someone in the "okay to do this ride" category?

OMR - Old Man Riding

New question here. OK...Let me get this straight....

The Pinion Flats trail joins the Palm Canyon trail after about 4 miles at in the canyon bottom. The Pinion Flats trail is a faster trail than the traditional Palm Canyon trail, but top of Palm Canyon is very narrow, often rugged and more exposed that is better "sipped" than "chugged". Those scared of heights usually get nervous on parts of that section. They are both good trails.
    the bottom portion of the Pinion Flats Trail is the same as the Palm Canyon Trail.. up that great sand wash (read walk!), ends up at Dunns Road to the tractor, then up the hill and down that great downhill single track & finally down the fire road back to civilization?

I would imiagine the that snady wash has a lot of water in it right now from the rains and will be rideable soon after?

Last question: As I understand it, the Pinion Flats ride is closed from Jan through June due to the mountain goats.. is the Palm Canyon Trail effected as well with this closure?

Thanks Bill for the info & Happy New Year... perhaps we'll get to ride together in the future.

Best,

Gregg

Just another Homer

I'm supposed

to be training for a double century for the 18th (Butterfield Double Century), but I guess I could kind of call this training too,huh? If it's open I'm in!

I believe the Palm Springs century is the same day.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    the bottom portion of the Pinion Flats Trail is the same as the Palm Canyon Trail.. up that great sand wash (read walk!), ends up at Dunns Road to the tractor, then up the hill and down that great downhill single track & finally down the fire road back to civilization?

I would imiagine the that snady wash has a lot of water in it right now from the rains and will be rideable soon after?

Last question: As I understand it, the Pinion Flats ride is closed from Jan through June due to the mountain goats.. is the Palm Canyon Trail effected as well with this closure?

Thanks Bill for the info & Happy New Year... perhaps we'll get to ride together in the future.

Best,

Gregg
    The Pinion Flats trail ends where it drops into canyon bottom which is Point D on this Map. After that point you are on the Palm Canyon trail until you hit the bottom on the sandy climb (Dry Wash Road).

The voluntary closure area for the sheep lambing season includes all of Dunn Road on BLM land so you are not "volunteering" for the 1/2 mile section between the top of the sandy climb to the top of the Hahn Buena Vista trail. (Between Point M and N on this map).

Here is some 411on the voluntary closure.
    Last edited by mtbbill; 01-03-2006 at 09:48 AM.

hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Sunday February 5th is Super Bowl Sunday.

Looks like I'm out.

that may change things for me too.........If Seattle makes it, no way in he!! I'm missing hte game. if they don't I still may not miss the game. We'll see...........

YR

mtbr dismember

Bill's call

Tim and I don't care about the Superbowl. But since Bill is leading I'll go with whatever he decides. I can go any Saturday or Sunday but the 5th and 12th work best.

Its only 1" on the map!

Superbowl Ride Change

Tim and I don't care about the Superbowl. But since Bill is leading I'll go with whatever he decides. I can go any Saturday or Sunday but the 5th and 12th work best.

I say lets change it to the 12th due to the Stupper Bowl.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the 12th

mtbr dismember

Ok

Ok, I'll make sure it's OK with the birthday boy. I could use the extra week anyway. I rode three times last week for the first time since double knee surgery three years ago and my knees went out. Emergency cortisone shots seem to be helping.

mtbr dismember

Qualified?

Who is "qualified" for a particular ride is always a difficult question for me to answer. Virtually everyone I've ever ridden with is much "better" than me, both faster and more technically proficient. Yet when we get out on the longer epic rides things seem to even out a bit. Perhaps it is a combination of attitude, experience, confidence (or bravado), a sense of adventure, and a good bit of foolishness that makes up for my lack of speed and skill. I'm not particularly tough but I am very stubborn and only dangerously high temperatures have ever prevented me from finishing a planned ride. Due to excessive heat on this ride last year I took the last available bailout. I probably could have made it but it would have really slowed the rest of the folks to a crawl.

I routinely do a 30+ miler every week and in the summer it is always a bit of an epic. And for a long time most of them were solo. So first and foremost I'm not afraid of being in the wilderness by myself. I know many people who will not even do a local 10 mile ride solo. I have the attitude that I can do just about any ride, as long as it is at my own pace. I am not afraid to be left behind and I always make it clear to the other riders that they may leave me if I am too slow.

I'm not even close to the A or A- category Bill suggests for this ride, except in attitude and spirit of adventure. I get one ride per week and I want it to be an adventure! I'd rather die on the trail than on the couch at home. I think you just have to honest about your abilities, how much epic ride experience you have, and your willingness to be on your own if need be.

P.S. I've done the Cannell Plunge nine times, four this past summer, and I love it!
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 01-04-2006 at 02:30 PM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Two More

JMH and CHUKY are likely a go for the 12th. I will put it on the calendar.

JMH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast