mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Palm Canyon Epic Trail Status

Anyone know what the trail conditions are for the Palm Canyon Epic trail? I'm assuming they got snow with this latest storm. I was thinking of riding it this Saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just drove through Palm Springs / Cat City today and was looking out to the south as I was passing through - didn't see snow at the lower levels but take my observation for what its worth.

Only need One
    trail is clear. There will be water in some of the washes.Should be close to perfect on sat

It ain't easy being Green
    Rode the trail yesterday in pefect weather, 60f at the top, 80f in PS. The trail was close to perfect too, the only downside was unavoidably wet feet but hey, it's the desert, they dried off!

Tough ride, 30 miles took us 4.5 hours (with some regrouping and a 20 minute stop at the top of Dunn Rd.). The singletrack descents took a lot of concentration! I'm told that the scenery is awesome but I didn't dare look while I was moving

Fun Day!

Only need One
    Yes,Yes.......rode saturday and was as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    I am looking to do this ride with some buddies from work at the end of March. I am looking for some decent maps. I have never done this ride, and I hear you can get lost if you dont know where you are going. Any help would be great.

5 x 5
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey - sorry for being dense. 2-part question - I'm new to the area (for mtn biking at least). So if you look at a google topo map there is a Palm Canyon Drive (and I can also see Murray Canyon Drive right there) which leads into a 'canyon' which you can see using 'terrain' on the maps.google page, which ends at Ribbonwood and 74, which is what the route description says is the end of the ride. And using 'Terrain' you can sort of see the canyon the whole way.

However the description in the link above says to go to the RimRock shopping center, which does indeed have a main trail behind it. I rode that a few days ago, but it was hard to figure out how to make it go and go and go forever, which is what the real Palm Canyon Epic is supposed to do. Here is the meandering I did (you can see me trying to find where it ascends to the snow-topped mountains) - and I did 3 fingers to try and find how it keeps going - only the one in the middle that ends at the wash looked promising - and I did see bike trails in the wash, but they were parallel with the wash, and at that point someone put 10 rocks in a line perpendicular to the wash showing where to walk to pick up the trail on the other side, so it is something, but not sure it is the real Palm Canyon ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25977657

I did finally find the wash and there was a hiking route after the wash, which looked bikeable after 200 feet or so. You can see, using 'terrain' where I stopped biking at the wash.

Btw, whatever route that is, some crazy rocky downhill singletrack by the water tanks as you leave!

Okay, but looking at the google map, the RimRock shopping center is not Palm Canyon drive.

Where does this ride start - Palm Canyon the street, or at RimRock (assuming you are starting from the bottom) and if it is the RimRock place as described in the link above, is that direction where I stopped at the wash the right place to continue?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    xxMedicxx - I can tell you firsthand you can definitely get lost. I did do a lot of the singletrack options to the side of the main trail on the way back, but would not have done so without my Garmin. It puts a little line where you've been so I could figure out and verify that the singletrack trails and whatever were eventually leading back to where I had been. Otherwise that place is a maze!! Trails everywhere...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I finally correlated the topo map on the site above with my Garmin results (took a half hour or so). I hit the wash between the 1200 and 1000 foot lines, you are supposed to hit it NW of where I did, above the 1200 foot line, so I was indeed on the wrong trail (I'm pretty sure a hiking trail). I was pretty darn close given all the options!!!!

I'll print the topo's and bring them.

To others: yes, indeed, it is a maze of tens of trails out there everywhere. Don't go without someone who has done it several times or without a GPS and map. It will be entirely useless. Well, fun, but I would assume you won't finish the trail and may have to walk home in the dark . And if doing it 1-way downhill, you may have to back up however far you came down or whatever. Boy would that not be fun... Or - I suppose you could just take any trail down and keep going till you hit a road and then road-bike to RimRock. That wouldn't be the worst thing, but could be quite the 'epic'.

Lastly, this part is aka Goat Trails.

Oh - and conditions? Dry and dusty for the bottom 5 miles. The top 5 is probably more what people are asking about however, as that part gets snow.
    Last edited by LightMiner; 03-04-2010 at 12:32 AM.