mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Palm Canyon 4-28 or 4-29 Looking for a someone else

Hello all, new here and will be in palm springs for work this coming weekend for work. I know the forecast is for HOT HOT HOT but i'd really like to try to get Palm Canyon checked off. I"m bringing my bike but never having ridden this before didn't know if anyone was interested in joining me or allowing me to join their group.

I'm a experienced cyclist / but my mtb skills are a little rusty. I mostly ride single track around Kentucky and North Carolina and have never tried a desert ride. I understand carry plenty of water/food/ parts/ect. Not worried so much about the endurance as I am the unknown.

Any advice is welcome. I have the gps file loaded but would really feel better if I knew others were headed out. Is it normally crowded on weekends?. What are the "gotchas"
    Last edited by bryanvanhouten; 04-26-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    It's really not the best time to ride that trail. If you have any mechanicals, multiple flats (common), route-finding issues, or other problems, then you'll be dropping into 100+ degree heat--and there's a fair amount of climbing at the end. There was an experienced rider that died out there last year from heat exhaustion. And it's not uncommon for riders--in cooler weather--to run out of water. Hikers die or are rescued in that area just about every year. There are shorter rides that start in Palm Springs, so you could get an early start (like sunrise or earlier) and get a short ride in before it starts to bake.

But- Idyllwild is just up the mountain from the start of the Epic and has tons of fun (cooler) riding. Hit up the Hub Cyclery in town for more info, maps, and possibly a guide. Good luck!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Start at daybreak if you are going to do it. I would take Dunn Road out after the sand wash because you won't want to be climbing around the goat trails in the mid-day heat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When you say you want to ride Palm Canyon do you mean the Palm Canyon epic? Do you realize that its a point-to-point shuttle anywhere between 24 and 32 miles depending on your route?

The daytime high in Palm Springs is expected to be 104F on Sat and 106F on Sunday... day-time Palm Canyon riding is pretty much over for the season....

But....there is a 96% full moon rising at 10:00 p.m. on Saturday night....if you are game for a night ride and you are not afraid of the boogey man I'd be happy to show you the way....we could start sat at around 7:00 p.m. and use lights for the first couple of hours then finish in moonlight expecting to finish around 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. for the entire epic.

send me a p.m. if interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all your input guys thats what I was looking for. The night ride sounds the way to go. Osmarandsar i'll send you a pm I may be able to pull off a night ride. I was hoping it wasn't to hot but looks like it is. I'll know tomorrow when i land in psp . Thanks for the advise everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Idyllwild ...sounds interesting i'll google it. Any particular trail that you recommend ?

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanvanhouten View Post
    Idyllwild ...sounds interesting i'll google it. Any particular trail that you recommend ?
    The Hurkey Creek area is fun - tons of trails there and pretty well documented in threads here and on the park's own site. It's also probably harder to get lost for too long there compared to some other places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Did you guys end up doing the night ride? How was it? I've been interested in doing this as a night ride....