wawe member

Paging Pain Freak

Did you find anything worthwhile near Quartzsite? Or just miles and miles of RVers?
    I haven't heard anything about that area, ride-wise.

Just another Homer

I decided

to just scout the area on quads. Found a few good places east of town, but no real trails with names on them.Climbs were all short and easy. Temps were good, but a lot of the area was sandy, but not so deep you couldn't ride through just enough to slow you down. I talked with some other locals and they said there were other trails and such, they just weren't marked or named that well. One ride was to a place called Dripping Springs and this is well worth the trip. Has ancient petryglephs (sp) and broken indian pottery scattered all over the ground. It also has some old mining stuff there from the mid 1800's.

I'll probably take my dirt bike out and scout some more before riding anything. .
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Believer in Darwin

There

is some decent riding out there. I have ridden out there a couple of times on my home. There are a ton of trails, though I don't know the names.
    GLTY

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by papisimo11
    is some decent riding out there. I have ridden out there a couple of times on my home. There are a ton of trails, though I don't know the names.
    GLTY
    Thanks guys, sounds semi-promising. Dripping Springs sounds like it could be a worthwhile diversion on the drive to Phoenix. Was this north of the 10? Did you find any decent maps of the area or did you just rely on luck and info from the locals?

Just another Homer

Exit 19

Is where you exit and go to the end of the street where it Tees. Veer left and the start of the trail is right there. You'll see the opening in the fence. You follow this trail in a northeast directions for about 8 to 10 miles with little climbing, very easy 2 to 3 % grade. After about 7 miles you'll get to some decent climbing,but it's realitively short,but would probably be the highlight of the biking opportunity.

I talked a friend of mine into riding it with me in late January, we are going to do this ride. He's also going to show me a few other places further out in the desert. One is on a Indian reservation which is a shuttle, but also a longer ride of 38 miles. I'll try to get as much trail info and directions as possible.
    Toby Keith

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    Is where you exit and go to the end of the street where it Tees. Veer left and the start of the trail is right there. You'll see the opening in the fence. You follow this trail in a northeast directions for about 8 to 10 miles with little climbing, very easy 2 to 3 % grade. After about 7 miles you'll get to some decent climbing,but it's realitively short,but would probably be the highlight of the biking opportunity.

I talked a friend of mine into riding it with me in late January, we are going to do this ride. He's also going to show me a few other places further out in the desert. One is on a Indian reservation which is a shuttle, but also a longer ride of 38 miles. I'll try to get as much trail info and directions as possible.
    Thanks PF,
    Is Dome Rock Rd E the street you started from? Map

member: kv dirt daddies

dirt bike

Mike, I didn't know you had a dirt bike. I ride a KTM sometimes. I don't ride it nearly as much now that I am into Mountain biking but I still do once in a while. If you ever bring your dirt bike up into my area give me a shout and I will take you on some trails. Later, Jeff.

Just another Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Thanks PF,
    Is Dome Rock Rd E the street you started from? Map
    Yeah, it's just east of there. It's the second Quartzsite exit. When you do exit if you were to stay right you'll come to the Tee, then veer left. About 4 or 5 miles from Dome Rock (although we and the locals call it something else)
    Toby Keith

Just another Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    Mike, I didn't know you had a dirt bike. I ride a KTM sometimes. I don't ride it nearly as much now that I am into Mountain biking but I still do once in a while. If you ever bring your dirt bike up into my area give me a shout and I will take you on some trails. Later, Jeff.
    Yeah Jeff, I've just got a little Yamaha 125, that I'll tool around on. I'm not very good on it, but I do have fun with it. I was thinking of riding up there around Kennedy Meadows. Last November 04 we went up there and bumped into all kinds of xc guys. It looked like a lot of fun. Is there much to ride after it snows?

I still owe you a tour of some of our local stuff if you ever get down this way, I'd be more then happy to show you some of our stuff, although it would be dam hard to compete with the stuff you have over there.
    Toby Keith

member: kv dirt daddies
    A 2-stroke guy. Mine is a 400 4-stroke. I have ridden it up in the Kennedy Meadows area a lot. It is great fun up there.
    Winter is one of the best times to ride around here, no dust. We would usually do keysville or the Kern Canyon trail. There are a number of 45 - 60 mile loops you can do in that area. We would aslo go ride in the desert in the winter.
    A birt bike is actually how I aquired most of my local trail knowledge. A few years ago that is what I was riding every weekend. My mountain bike was basically a tool to get in shape for dirt biking and skiing.
    We rode a few trails this summer and fall that are motorcycle trails. Some of them I can see why only motorcycles use them. On one of these trails we were out in the middle of nowhere and came across the forest ranger doing trail work with some dirt bikers. They all said they had never seen mountain bikers on that trail before and were crediting us with the first mountain bike decent. (I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't tried it before.) A mile down the trail we found out why, brutal 40 minute hike-a-bike. I had ridden it many times on my dirt bike and didn't remember it being so long and steep. I guess nothing seems as bad when you have 40 horsepower and 12 inches of travel.

wawe member
    Thanks again! I don't mind going and getting lost for a bit, as long as I'm lost in the right area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    About 4 or 5 miles from Dome Rock (although we and the locals call it something else)
    I can't imagine what other name you could give that thing...