Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

oxnard beginer dh

looking for other riders in the area oxnard,ventura, simi to go riding with. only know a few trails. like to ride hummingbird in simi but need to find other riders to shuttle with.
    me 41yrs old.5'7" santa cruz bullit. only ride for fun. i live at silver strand beach.
    email louman@hotmail.com
    thanks
    luis

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Louman, I ride with a group of guys that do Hummingbird most Saturdays , we normally ride up Chumash and down HB , they leave a vehicle at the bottom of HB and shuttle guys/bikes back to Chumash. Obviuosly, we do other stuff , a few of us race XC the others are more AM , but they normally RIDE to the top , if you're interested .... and at 41 you'll be one of the younger ones.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by flux
    Louman, I ride with a group of guys that do Hummingbird most Saturdays , we normally ride up Chumash and down HB , they leave a vehicle at the bottom of HB and shuttle guys/bikes back to Chumash. Obviuosly, we do other stuff , a few of us race XC the others are more AM , but they normally RIDE to the top , if you're interested .... and at 41 you'll be one of the younger ones.

how long does it take to climb Chumash in your group???

and what time you guys start???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Kenny Powers
    SSL !!!! Silver Strand for Life. I am finally moving back their! Just bought a lot.
    805/ 530

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by louman
    ... silver strand beach.
    luis
    lay your bike on the street and drive over it like 90 times.

get in touch with Steve Huerta and get yourself a
    - 6'2" (squash tail thruster)
    - 6'6" (roundpin thruster)
    - 6'10" (round tail thruster)

since you are going all in now that you've shot your bike with every gun you own, might as well join the new retro-old school crowd and get a 5'2" swallow tail fish.

i'd get a modern styled Donald Takayama in the 7'8" range as well... YOU can afford it . hell, you can't afford NOT to!

never look back, man.. BURN YOUR BIKE!
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hey mildbeast come on down by the jetty with your huerta. you are welcome anytime.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    lay your bike on the street and drive over it like 90 times.

get in touch with Steve Huerta and get yourself a
    - 6'2" (squash tail thruster)
    - 6'6" (roundpin thruster)
    - 6'10" (round tail thruster)

since you are going all in now that you've shot your bike with every gun you own, might as well join the new retro-old school crowd and get a 5'2" swallow tail fish.

i'd get a modern styled Donald Takayama in the 7'8" range as well... YOU can afford it . hell, you can't afford NOT to!

never look back, man.. BURN YOUR BIKE!

nah....have Butch Towers make a board (Anacapa Surf n sport)....love those boards
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Timbers, Time to top of Chumash , best time 32, ave35, group in between 35-45. Saturday start time , gather around 7:30 , start 8:00 , we also ride up/down Chumash on Thursday
    evenings 6:30ish , we will be riding today , I'll be on an '08 Yeti 575.

That's gonna leave a mark
    There's a group of us who ride up Rocky Peak, down Chumash, up Mars/SeaShells, down Rocky Peak on Wednesday nights at 6:30pm. Fast climbers and fast descenders in the group. Ages 30-51.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Equal opportunity meanie
    I've only gone up Chumash and back down it again, never between it and Hbird. Heading up from the Rocky Peak exit does the fire road mellow out past Hbird? It seems like it wouldn't gain much more elevation between the two.

Mars/SeaShells? Does that go by another name?

Glad to Be Alive
    Timbers, Time to top of Chumash , best time 32, ave35, group in between 35-45. Saturday start time , gather around 7:30 , start 8:00 , we also ride up/down Chumash on Thursday
    evenings 6:30ish , we will be riding today , I'll be on an '08 Yeti 575.
    too slow for you guys.....best time 48 minutes,...maybe another month to get in shape
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 07-04-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    I've only gone up Chumash and back down it again, never between it and Hbird. Heading up from the Rocky Peak exit does the fire road mellow out past Hbird? It seems like it wouldn't gain much more elevation between the two.

Hummingbird to Chumash....You have a bigger climb after Hummingbird then the ride up HB. ....as you look up in the mountains you have to climb the highest peak there....just look at the cut in the mountains as you drive.

Chumash to Hummingbird .... it settles down for steepness ...there a little easy hill past chumash then it goes down....then slight climbs, down, slight climbs, down, slight climbs.then long long down hill to HB..

mars/seashells is the name of the final very steep, long hill on las llajas (backside of Chumash)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Agreed from Chumash to HB short mellow climbs ,from HB to Chumash one long "good" climb,about 12minutes.... the rest pretty much rolling hills,but yes Rocky Peak to HB a continous fairly steep climb,but not as loose as it was before the filming up there.You guys do Johnsons? That's fun down and a good climb up , depending on the temp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Timbers,don't worry about times we get all spread out, the 35-45 was an estimate , my 32-35 has one guy with me and how long do we wait????I'm not sure , but we ALWAYS wait ,it's a good group of guys and one girl , when they show , yesterday ended up beeing a solo.Not sure what we're doing tomorrow,this morning one group doing Dead Cow/Suicide and me and another doing Los Robles(time limitations) any time/any place...

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot

Here's a link to the route I recorded with my GPS unit. It's posted on Geoladders . Hit "Playback" for details.
    Last edited by Upchuck; 07-04-2008 at 06:41 AM.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

mars/seashells is the name of the final very steep, long hill on las llajas (backside of Chumash)
    All this time I never knew that "small" climb had it's own name.

Question for ya'll, at the top of the above mentioned climb coming from Las Lajas, if you head on to the peak on the right (NW) there is a single track that follows the ridge back down to the beginning of LL, any one ride it?

If so, is there anything I need to watch for other then going off the side?
    Some sections look a bit steep but thatís about it, from what I can see. There also use to be a sign at the bottom giving a name to the trail but that has disappeared.

Glad to Be Alive
    Timbers,don't worry about times we get all spread out, the 35-45 was an estimate , my 32-35 has one guy with me and how long do we wait????I'm not sure , but we ALWAYS wait ,it's a good group of guys and one girl , when they show , yesterday ended up beeing a solo.Not sure what we're doing tomorrow,this morning one group doing Dead Cow/Suicide and me and another doing Los Robles(time limitations) any time/any place...
    is Gina the girl in the group??

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalDBD
    All this time I never knew that "small" climb had it's own name

Question for ya'll, at the top of the above mentioned climb coming from Las Lajas, if you head on to the peak on the right (NW) there is a single track that follows the ridge back down to the beginning of LL, any one ride it?

If so, is there anything I need to watch for other then going off the side?
    Some sections look a bit steep but thatís about it, from what I can see. There also use to be a sign at the bottom giving a name to the trail but that has disappeared.
    why the name...everybody hates the climb and their are a ton of Sea Shells all around

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The name on the sign is/was Gina from what I was told and her friends put it there and I'm told the it's name is "no name"... whatever. It is STEEP and very loose , best to ride after a rain has firmed it a bit. I have yet to ride all of it , the beginning of the first big drop is intimidating and you do not want to go off the "trail".Timbers,no Gina does not ride with us and our group is riding Chumash tomorrow @7:30 I'm not sure if I'll be there , might do a road ride , most of them will be on SC Nomads , possibly four of them and if I go I'll be on either my Yeti 575 or a Turner Flux.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Timbers, We will be at Chumash on Saturday,7:30 finish down Hummingbird.

mtbr member
    ...It is STEEP and very loose , best to ride after a rain has firmed it a bit. ...
    So what yer saaaayin' is I should hit it mid August for a bit more fun. Got it

Thanks for the info, next time I am up that way I will need to check it out.

Glad to Be Alive
    The name on the sign is/was Gina from what I was told and her friends put it there and I'm told the it's name is "no name"... whatever. It is STEEP and very loose , best to ride after a rain has firmed it a bit. I have yet to ride all of it , the beginning of the first big drop is intimidating and you do not want to go off the "trail"..

man that sounds like fun...where does that trail start and end up

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Top of seashells intersects with LL fire road about .5-1 mile of entrance.DBD I'm sure you can out ride me , so mid August may be what you need for a challenge , that's not meant to be sarcastic , descending is not my thing.

mtbr member
    Top of seashells intersects with LL fire road about .5-1 mile of entrance.DBD I'm sure you can out ride me , so mid August may be what you need for a challenge , that's not meant to be sarcastic , descending is not my thing.
    I was sarcastic as well, it can get a bit too dusty up there around that time but I guess as long as you are not following someone it should be alright.

I will probably hit it after a few more training rides so the short climb up LL does not kill me so much. I have yet to clear that last little climb to the top, that is my current goal, clear the entire climb with no rest.

Glad to Be Alive
    nice riding with you guys...thanks for the invite

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast