cdouble
    Jul 2007

Out of towner looking for advice on San Diego

I will be in San Diego next month on business, considering tacking on an extra day to try the local mountain biking. Trying to turn all this business travel (airport food, hotels) into something memorable (fresh air, single track).

I am a sport class rider from Pennsylvania. I am looking for single track, flow, and some nice views (I don't get out here often). I will be in town near Torrey Pines State Park and would likely have a rental car. Ideally I'd pick up a bike in the morning, drive out, ride ride ride, then return the bike the same evening.

Any "must ride" trails near town? I am looking for single track and flow. Would also like some views since I don't often get out here. Some moderate technical for spice, but I generally don't go nuts when riding alone in strange territory.

Local bike shops that rent quality bikes? I ride a Turner Flux geared and a GF Rig SS at home. There are so many places that rent crappy hybrids and call them mountain bikes, I want to avoid that obviously.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting dirty in San Diego.

Chris
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    www.mountainbikebill.com for all your trail needs.

Noble Canyon in the Laguna Mountains is the best ride around, could be hot though and is pretty remote.

North of the Border Bike shop in Mira Mesa (very near where you are staying), has had demo quality rentals in the past. Give Doug a call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    www.mountainbikebill.com should be a sticky for this forum for San Diego riding info.

mtbr member
    I'd second North of the Border. They are a turner dealer, and very cool guys.

There is some decent riding very close to where you're staying though it isn't anything too special.

Referring to MTB Bill's site, a few places that would be worthwhile are La Costa (1/2 hr drive north), San clemente singletracks (under 1hr north) and San Juan trail (1 1/4 hr north). Bill has pics, directions, and trail descriptions.

All have sweet singletrack. LaCosta is a small area but good for a couple hours, and has nice views. San Juan is considered the most popular trail in Orange county and can be done as an out and back/lollipop or shuttled. Great views there too. San clemente is some of the flowiest trails around. The drive would be worthwhile just beware of freeway traffic on weekdays. You could probably hit up 2 of these in 1 day if you're in good shape.

Post up when you know your travel plans, you can probably find people to give you a tour.

ah, hamburgers
    San Juan is the one, you need to make the effort to get there.

La Costa is a lot of fun for its size, Elfin is hardly flow, but I I like it.

Based on where you are staying, I might seek these out.

I have rented from BL on two occasions and have been satisfied. Both times a 120mm Stumpy.

See you at the top.
    Oct 2005
    Noble is our must ride.
    Don't be the 13th inch. Keep single track single!

Buck Fush.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    There is an abundant amount of excellent single track in the mtns east of S.D. Between Cuyamaca and Laguna Mtns....... all at 3-5k elevation. Weather will setthe stage for when ya want to start. Sept can be our HOTTEST month. PM me, I can make something happen.

mtbr member
    You will be equal distance from San Juan and Noble Canyon. Both are among the top 10 rides in California, but be prepared for the rocks in Socal. Something that a lot of first timers are not prepared for.