mtbr member

Otay Mountain Truck Trail

Went up Otay mountain to this WWII artillery piece impalement yesterday, left from Otay lake boat launch parking, around the water treatment plant and park. The Trail goes by the US/ Mexico border so Border Patrol is everywhere, all the officers we ran into were rather friendly. The WWII bunker complex is at around 3,000 ft, were as the antennas at the very top are 3,300 ft, couldn't convince the group to keep going, and in the end I guess I cant complain too much because after getting back to car I was spent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6112.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6117.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6120.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6124.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6126.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6134.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6139.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6144.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6147.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6152.jpg  

Last edited by Cobra8d; 06-03-2013 at 11:06 PM.

mtbr member
    More pictures of the complex, the long rectangular structure is below the other r two structures and we had to walk there as the trail is overgrown and pretty narrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6135.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6136.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6140.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6141.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6143.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6149.jpg  

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-dscn6150.jpg  

Certifiably Crazy
    Cool!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My fiancee and i ride this once a month as a conditioning ride on a rotating basis. It's tough, especially when it's hot ... but it's a great measure of fitness. Need to beware of the border patrol speeding down the roads. The visibility on the sharper turns is bad. Had a couple of skid incidents with them. Great views and sense of accomplishment at the top!

I'm your density
    Yeah, that's a burly ride. I couldn't imagine doing it in temps above 80. I'd have to bring a gallon of water.

When I did it in March, I didn't even get to enjoy the long downhill after the antennas -- there was a caravan of road maintenance vehicles. Once I cleared that, the last third of the road had been turned to grey slime by a watering truck.

It was cool to see "forests" of Tecate Cypress down in the valleys, though.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Been riding the trail back ad forth around the like. Might try and do the loop on MTB Bill Sunday. Should be the cooloer of two days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Those are some great pics. I've only climbed Otay mountain a couple times in all the years, the last time was still a few years before the fire. The cypress trees that grow only on that mountain were lining the fireroad back then.

It's a really nice ride and climb on a day when the coastal eddy clouds blanket the land to the west with around a 3,000 ft. ceiling breaking through them near the top and looking around is a pretty cool experience.

Both times I rode it I started from either the valley to the east or the fire road near the store. I appreciate the details about the ride from the west direction, I was wondering about that.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    I've ridden up Otay Mtn. twice, both times this spring - once from the north (parked at the store/campground) and once from the west. Definitely liked the west trail going up. It's a bit longer, which means not as steep for the same elevation gain.

Good view of the Donovan Prison and Otay River Valley/Hwy. 125 bridge:

Otay Mountian Truck Trail-img_7498.jpg

Last time I rode it, we parked at the boat launch at the lake, headed south into Otay Valley then climbed the mountain up the west side. Then bombed down the north side, then hit the road back to the lake, then took the single track around the north side of the lake back to the parking lot. Made for a nice 30-mile loop.

Here's the track: Otay Mountain Loop by chuckanado at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Otay Mountian Truck Trail

What a brutal ride! No KOMs in my future on that ride anytime soon. Departed the marina and ride for about 3 hours. Probably not going to be doing that one again anytime soon, haha.

I'm your density
    If I ever do that one again it'll be because I'm training for something worse.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Haha. Anyone ever follot MTB Bill's trail? We followed it from the dam to the rv park. The "trail" that is supposed to be on the other side of the road at the end of the camping sites is non-existant. Lets just say I will be picking out the toothpick sized grass needles from my shoes and socks for a few days.