Its only 1" on the map!

Otay Mountain Loop

I actually did this ride back in the winter months so now is not the best time to go tackle this ride. I'm just now getting around to putting a page up on my site for this ride. This is a really cool 31 mile loop that includes about 3,900 feet of climbing and some killer views of the Pacific Ocean, the San Gabs, San Bernadino, and San Jacinto Mountains as well as a few other surprising sights.

I started at the Marina at Otay Lakes and rode along the southwest corner of the lake and then cut through Lower Otay County Park down into the Otay Valley and climbed out of the valley to the south on a fireroad. I then worked my way over to the the Otay Mountain Truck Trail.

I had a nice big climb up Otay Mountain. My GPS did had a couple of blips early in the ride but I had already registered something like 3,900+ feet climbing . The Truck Trail took me up to the intersection of the Minnewawa Trail at an area known as “Doghouse Junction”

The descent from there down the Minnewawa Trail was mighty darn zippy and seemed to be over way too quickly. The trail dumps you out right at the 1,000 Trails RV Park Otay Lakes Rd (HWY 94).

I crossed the road into the park on the other side of the road and proceed west through the RV park. At the end of the RV park I picked up a segment of the California Riding and Hiking Trail (CRHT). This area was burned in the 2007 Firestorm. The rate of regrowth was pretty amazing forcing me to use “the force” to follow the trail in some sections. In some of the steeper hillside sections, rocks had erroded down onto the trail make it technical in spots. Combined with shin-high grass over the trail and things got really interesting.

I followed the CRHT for a couple miles until Otay River crossed under Otay Lakes Road. I hopped on the pavement for about 1.5 miles or so until I hit the eastern entrace to the Otay Lake Park.

I cruised out to a point on the lake on a bit of old pavement. Once out at the point I picked up some nice pretty buff singletrack heading north up the east side of the lake. From here the navigation was pretty darn easy. Take any left you like and don’t go in the water. I must have ridden at least 6 or 7 miles of single track as I worked my way back around the north and west sides of the lake to get back to my truck.

[SIZE="4"]You can go here to see the full trail review and pictures.[/SIZE]

Silence and Thunder...
    nice...great pix too!

*I was wondering about that trail. I grew up in CV but never made it up there....
    ...every day sends future to past...

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Great RR Bill, I have ridden this quite a few times. There are numerous variations to do, we included part of your route plus a bunch more miles on the east side of Otay Mt. in our annual Death March. We rode 61 miles starting at the Performance on Bonita Rd. I have been trying to tell people that the South Bay has some of the best trails in San Diego, but nobody wants to listen. The views from up top are great and so are your pics. You should make it out to one of our Sunday rides(like this Sunday) and check out some of the more local stuff. Also, I have been wanting to do a ride that included much of what you did today but throw in Hollenbeck to Lyons Peak(3,741ft.). I have been wanting to explore the Lyon's Peak area. There has to be something up in them hills. On the SoCal trailhead map look on the 94 past the CBP station for a trailhead called Bandit. I would be more than happy to show this to you sometime, it is a gem. Later.

Also thought you would find this funny:
    Last edited by jonathan_sykes81; 07-12-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81
    Great RR Bill, I have ridden this quite a few times. There are numerous variations to do, we included part of your route plus a bunch more miles on the east side of Otay Mt. in our annual Death March. We rode 61 miles starting at the Performance on Bonita Rd. I have been trying to tell people that the South Bay has some of the best trails in San Diego, but nobody wants to listen. The views from up top are great and so are your pics. You should make it out to one of our Sunday rides(like this Sunday) and check out some of the more local stuff. Also, I have been wanting to do a ride that included much of what you did today but throw in Hollenbeck to Lyons Peak(3,741ft.). I have been wanting to explore the Lyon's Peak area. There has to be something up in them hills. On the SoCal trailhead map look on the 94 past the CBP station for a trailhead called Bandit. I would be more than happy to show this to you sometime, it is a gem. Later.

Also thought you would find this funny:
    It was so out of place that I could not help but snicker. Igot hot up the Sunday ride. It won't be this weekend. I'm up in San Jose. My boy's team is playing in the North American Roller Hockey Championship tournement. We will be there most of the week and then we are going to camp and bike in a few spots on the coast on our way back.

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Enjoy the ride back down. Are you going to take Highway 1? It is a beautiful drive and the kid(s) would most likely enjoy the scenery. Where are you planning to hit up on the trip back? I am jealous of your retired lifestyle; spending time with the family, riding when you can. I can't wait! Later.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81
    Enjoy the ride back down. Are you going to take Highway 1? It is a beautiful drive and the kid(s) would most likely enjoy the scenery. Where are you planning to hit up on the trip back? I am jealous of your retired lifestyle; spending time with the family, riding when you can. I can't wait! Later.
    The plan is to take the 1. Hopefully the fires will not be a problem by then. I'm pretty sure Montana Del Oro SP is on the list. Everthing else is tbd. My nearly 3 months of the leisure life is just about over. I start working for "The Man" a week from Monday as a defense contractor. Should be fun. There will be a little bit of travel involved. Just so happen those places have mtb trails