Thread: OT: working...

mtbr member

OT: working...

hey all

So I've just graduated and am looking for jobs. For all those with a 40 hours work week how is it? Do you still get out during the week to ride? How long is your daily commute milage and time? Where do you live and work? I had an interview last week and it seems like a good oppurtunity. I live in Walnut near Diamond Bar and West Covina and the job is in Torrance, a 40 mile commute(6 different freeways). Took almost 2 hrs to come home. If I end up with this job I have no intentions of moving out to torrance(any good riding out there? far from trails?). I'm just kind of curious how others are dealing with this whole job/career thing.

thanks all

jr

Floater

If you want to ride, you'll ride...

But I have to say I am blessed with El Moro 12 minutes away from my office. So I ride at least 4 days a week at lunch. My drive to work is about 11 miles in 20-30 minutes, barring any delays. I grew up in the area, so I know all the good side streets to take when traffic gets slow. Two hours and six freeways sounds like too much to do everyday. Move closer to work or get a job close to where you love to ride. Also, after 27+years in this job, I've accumulated a lot of vacation time, so I'll take a morning or afternoon off for a medium size ride, and a whole day off for a big ride. I'll do this once to twice a month. And then there are the weekend rides with family. Don't be concerned about working 40 hours a week, think of it as working for new bike parts or a new bike. Reward yourself.

mtbr member

Be patiant

Find something closer to home; even if it pays less you'll make it up in fuel and maintenance costs on you're car; not to mention you're sanity. A bud of mine drives from South O.C. to Torrence and it's tough on him. I'm 12 miles from work and would like to be closer so I could ride to work with a half hour commute.

banned
    Apr 2004

When I was a young whipper snapper

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    hey all

So I've just graduated and am looking for jobs. For all those with a 40 hours work week how is it? Do you still get out during the week to ride? How long is your daily commute milage and time? Where do you live and work? I had an interview last week and it seems like a good oppurtunity. I live in Walnut near Diamond Bar and West Covina and the job is in Torrance, a 40 mile commute(6 different freeways). Took almost 2 hrs to come home. If I end up with this job I have no intentions of moving out to torrance(any good riding out there? far from trails?). I'm just kind of curious how others are dealing with this whole job/career thing.

thanks all

jr
    man was I stupid, not only was I working 50 to 60 hrs to make a few nominal extra bucks only to spend 120% of whatever I earned, I was also commuting.
    In the 80's & 90's we/almost everyone used to compare & brag about how many hours we worked,
    Now we sit around and compare how few hours a week we work, and compare our budget/getting good deals prowess, I thought I was doing good at 38 hrs or less with no commute but my brother 30hrs and his wife 25ish hrs take the cake.

The good news is nowadays "the man/Chez Whitey" realizes that young people have a lot to offer being up on technology and computers & that they do not want to waste their whole life away strapped to a desk like their fathers did and for what? To retire, tired, old in poor health waiting for death.
    A couple of things the old timers told me that I wish I would of paid attention to from the get go

1. It's not what you make it's what you spend.

2. Buying a house right away may seem like it's strapping you down but it's actually taking your first step towards financial freedom.

3.If you use credit cards, pay them in full every month.

and #4 is from this old crustation, Quality of life is everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    hey all

If I end up with this job I have no intentions of moving out to torrance(any good riding out there? far from trails?).

For one thing, its way too early to be worrying about this. Interview, schminterview. Get a job offer THEN worry about whether you will take it or not.

Don't know about MTBing in Torrance, but there is plenty of good road riding and some really cool road clubs in South Bay, including some blazing fast early morning group rides during the week.

34N 118W

ditto - wait

get a few job offers lined up so you can compare. More money but further drive? Less money but they're nearby and close at 4pm instead of 5? Lots of variables that will affect your quality of life. I'd go Berserker if I had a 2 hr. car trip home everyday. Meanwhile your cell's ringing from your riding buds wondering where you are

also look into to access to potential jobs via Metrolink trains. I used it regularly and got to ride to & from the train station. Turning cranks for 30 min. beats stop n go for an hour any day.

good luck - don't rush into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Find something closer to home; even if it pays less you'll make it up in fuel and maintenance costs on you're car; not to mention you're sanity. A bud of mine drives from South O.C. to Torrence and it's tough on him. I'm 12 miles from work and would like to be closer so I could ride to work with a half hour commute.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Hey now...

2 hours of commuting each day equals 40 hours every month that you sit in your car.

That's an additional work week each month.

12 weeks each year.

That's a lot of your life to barter for a job. Keep looking.

mtbr member
    work to live, don't live to work.

It's so true; it's not so much what you make, but how you spend it. Save & Invest !!

It took me a while to get it, but quality of life is what it's all about.

as of right now; i work full-time, go to school full-time, and ride 2-3 times a week. i figure i'll rest when i die.

During the summer when i don't go to school, i ride 5-6 times a week. once i get my degree and get my career rolling I'll focus more on a better quality of life and hopefully start racing again.

mtbr member
    its not so much the money i'm looking for. i went through school working part time on campus not really gaining any real world experience. i'm just worried about getting some good experience early on in my career. but i do realize there are alot of oppurtunities out there i just need to find them. i really do believe in the quality of life is much more important and enjoyable than money. i don't really see myself as a big spender.