mtbr member
    Mar 2008

OT: Anyone know where to shoot outdoors in San Diego (not a gun range)

Hey all I know it has nothing to do with biking but I figures many of you are outdoors people and like shooting as well as biking. I called and found out that the BLM has closed Carrizo Creek shooting area, is this for sure true??? I hear it from a Cleveland National Forest rep. Also, Orosco Ridge is closed due to safety issues! Are there any places within an hour or a little over that we can shoot now???
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Try calling the Forest Service office somewhere like Ramona or Alpine.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    I have a 1000 rounds of stocked ammo and never even fired my new pistol. I wish ranges the military used were open to the public. They could make a lot of money that way!

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's been a while since I've been out shooting, but we used to be able to camp out in the desert and fire away. Plaster city, Ocotillo, etc, as long as you were out of the city lines. Like I said, it's been a while and our government has been more and more Gestapo like, so ......

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Back when I lived at 32nd & El Cajon...

mtbr member
    There's a couple of canyons behind the landfill outside of Ocotillo friends go all the time, been there once. Great thing is you can pack your garbage and dump it at the landfill on the way out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Back when I lived at 32nd & El Cajon...
    Hey! I resemble that remark.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Was riding in New Mexico once and exploring a little used "road". I was tired and close to bonking, not even looking up. As I was watching my feet spin, I noticed a bunch of bottles set up across the dirt road. Alarm signals started going off in my brain as I looked up to see 30 yards up the road there were some idiots reloading! Yes, they were shooting down the road. I pointed out to them that maybe they should line there targets up against a bluff off to the side of the road so that they didn't shoot anyone. Since they had loaded firearms, I was more polite than I felt like being.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cross the SD County line . In Imperial County, you can target shoot. Not here. Not anywhere.
    You can only target shoot here at a designated shooting range.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Just go to a range and shoot. Anywhere else, and you are looking to get arrested. My $.02.

on the path most traveled
    Used to go shooting all the time out in Otay Mesa right near the border. If I remember it right, there's a prison within eyesight of that area. Border patrol used to be pass by me all the time and wave.

The problem is having a vehicle that will take you around those windy and unkept fireroads. Also, I've heard that armed illegals will sometimes pass through there on their way to a better life, so I always kept an eye out just in case I looked like an easy target to someone who needed a vehicle on the spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Most or all of san diego free outdoor public shooting range is all close due to people trashing the place. They don't pick up trash they brought also to much lead in the dirt that may cause illest.
    Go to the desert and shoot or go to a local shooting range.