mtbr member

Upset Once again...stolen bike alert!

Well folks here is another stolen bike alert. This one comes from Costa Mesa.

Saturday evening around 5:30 pm my Kona A singlespeed was stolen right out of my garage. I was getting it ready to ride on Sunday morning, went in to get a slice of pizza and then gone...

It's a 2003 Kona A, blue/silver, Easton post, stem, and bars, avid brakes and levers, Marzochhi MX Pro fork, Fox float rear shock, singlespeed specific hubs with a White Industries ENO freewheel on Sun Mach IV rims.

Luckily, my Bianchi GUSS and Kona Kula were not touched even though they were hanging right above it.

I know it's probably been painted rattle can black by now, but if you happen to see it or find someone trying to pawn it off, a PM would be appreciated.

Chris

Recovering Weight Weenie
    A rattled-canned A will not be hard to miss. The upside is, whoever took it can't get away very fast with only one gear.

I lived in CM for 6 years...I tried my hardest to keep that garage door closed!

That sucks!

Lord of the Chainrings
    Sorry to hear that.
    A guy at work got his bike stolen the same way.
    A couple of days later he was driving to work and saw an "illegal" riding it. He chased him down and repo'ed it.

Keep your eyes open.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Where exactly did it happen...ie, what cross streets? I work in C.M., so I'll keep my eyes out for it to and from work, and during lunch.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear about that

I live in the CM and will keep my eye out. I know sometimes I do that as well leaving the garage door open to go grap something real quick. I know for myself I don't think someone will rip my stuff off by leaving the garage door open for a few min. Where in CM do you live? I live in the east side off of 22nd and Elden

mtbr member
    sorry man that sucks. do you have any pic's? I work in that area so I'll keep a eye out.

mtbr member
    Yikes!

All of the "bike stolen from garage" posts prompted me to start securing my bike to the wall of my garage with a steel cable and padlock. Pretty sad when you have to do that (and not foolproof, but it's something).

I also starting using 3 different locks when I have my bike in the bed of my truck.

I hope you get your bike back somehow. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Post a pic if you can. I do better with pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyR in San Antonio
    Yikes!

All of the "bike stolen from garage" posts prompted me to start securing my bike to the wall of my garage with a steel cable and padlock.
    i just recently did this since i don't like to worry about my bike being alone in the garage

i drilled a hole in the cement with a hammer drill and masonry bit. stuck a huge eye bolt in it and cement epoxied the bolt to the cement. I'm currently using a fat kryptonite cable and a titanium cased masterlock lock. i know it may not protect it if a guy really wants the bike, but it will deter would be thieves

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    i just recently did this since i don't like to worry about my bike being alone in the garage

i drilled a hole in the cement with a hammer drill and masonry bit. stuck a huge eye bolt in it and cement epoxied the bolt to the cement. I'm currently using a fat kryptonite cable and a titanium cased masterlock lock. i know it may not protect it if a guy really wants the bike, but it will deter would be thieves
    Hey!!!! you need to add one more eye bolt. You can spin the bike and cable to untread the bolt. Two eyes at 16" apart can't be spun out.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Hey!!!! you need to add one more eye bolt. You can spin the bike and cable to untread the bolt. Two eyes at 16" apart can't be spun out.
    That's pretty much exactly what I did. Two eye bolts, but about 6" apart. Nothing is unbeatable, but at least it would be a pain in the butt for some punk to mess with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    not sure if you can still spin it with the epoxy in there, but i'll add another one just in case

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I keep my garage closed when I'm not in it for this reason. My car was stolen from my driveway in simi valley years ago and I've been paranoid ever since.
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

The Garage

I have just installed my retna eye scan that automatically unlocks my bike. I also just installed my laser grid inside the garage as well. I feel pretty secure with the 24 hour guard and my three attack pit bulls.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. For the local guys, I live in Mesa del Mar, right behind the fair grounds and Tewinkle park. There has been an increase in gang activity over the past year and the police are becoming an ever present sight in the neighborhood. Here is a pic. The only difference is that the Fox Vanilla was replaced with a Fox Float.

Chris
    Last edited by Socal-Stumpjumper; 03-06-2007 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member

Thats too bad

I grew up in Costa Mesa and I love the city. I have lived all over the Pacific South West, and mid West US and overall CM is my home and where maybe some day start and raise my own family their. I know exactly where you live, thats too bad the homes are seeing more gang activity. I know the area behind St. Johns Church is kind of bad.

mtbr member
    I ride pretty close to your house 4 days a week on my way to school at OCC. I'll keep my eyes open. I know a few bikes have been stolen at the school by a$$holes that are too lazy to walk home, so maybe yours will turn up. You can always drive up and down the alleys on the other side of the liquor store in the middle of your neighborhood, my brother used to live over there and there was no shortage of crime then. Good Luck.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I will keep my eyes out forsure. I live off Baker and Harbor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    keep your bikes in the house on lock down !

Never advertise your bikes in the garage …it screams take me to the local kid down the street.

mtbr member
    I too live in CM (Fairview and Baker), will keep an eye out for it.

mtbr member
    i feel your pain.... ive been bikeless about a week now because of a theif
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

Where are You ?
    Mar 2007
    sorry to hear that. I just ordered Quadrachain to lock my down. The chain has square links to fowl up a drimmel saw....

L8ters...