mtbr member
    Mar 2009

OC Trail Conditions (San Juan?)

This is my first winter in Socal and I want to figure out when its OK to ride and when we need to let the trails dry out.

I was thinking of riding San Juan Saturday morning, I have read that it handles rain well, I just wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I would bet that it's just about perfect today. Cold, but perfect!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I would bet that it's just about perfect today. Cold, but perfect!
    LOL @ cold. (For context, moved back here from NYC.)

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I would bet that it's just about perfect today. Chilly, but perfect!
    Fixed it.

: )

Btw- I grew up in the Midwest, and I've lived all over the country. But after a few years in Socal, I got spoiled from the weather. It'll happen to you, too!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    double post...
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-29-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Why?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fixed it.

: )

Btw- I grew up in the Midwest, and I've lived all over the country. But after a few years in Socal, I got spoiled from the weather. It'll happen to you, too!
    Was just talking about this yesterday. So true!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A few wet spots but just about perfect, the temperature was just about perfect too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    On a related note - what condition is Los Pinos in?

I'm not so interested in rain and moisture - but general maintenance.
    A few years ago it was recommended that one wear long pants and sleaves on Pinos - was that b/c of overgrown brush and is that still the case?
    Is it fairly easy to follow or is it overgorwn?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    A few wet spots but just about perfect, the temperature was just about perfect too.
    What are the current conditions of the San Juan Trail? I'm thinking about a road trip; it's been a few years since I've been down there.

Thanks

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ It was great a couple of days ago. It's going to be good all winter, unless you hit it right after (or during) a big storm. BUT- the upper section through the meadow doesn't drain as well, so if you continue past Cocktail Rock you might want to take a right to the Viejo Tie or do an out-n-back to Chiquito.
    Why?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i might be heading down to san juan tomorrow with some buddies.
    i keep hearing from one of em that its supposed to be epic after a rain.
    Juice

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ We rode it today in light rain (the first mile up, the last couple down), just up to Cocktail Rock. That usually wouldn't be my preference, but I was giving a visitor the tour. And it was pretty damn fun! The rain has stopped down here, if it stays away it should be great tomorrow.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-30-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Why?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    well, i finally made it to san juan. pedaled up, did the lollipop, about half way through the lollipop it started snowing/small hail. this made for a pretty miserable descent for my feet. but overall it was a good ride, i could definitely see why people like it so much. with just a little moisture in the dirt things would be pretty sick!
    Juice

mtbr member
    San Juan Trail, December 30, 2012.

We're from out of town and were really excited to ride this trail. The first hour was very pleasant; it's a challenging, but do-able climb for me and I was able to make all the switchbacks. It was partly sunny most of the way, and then it started to rain.

But the rain was actually pea-sized hail. It was light at first, and we were like, this is cool. Kept riding. And then, the skies opened up in a biblical way and poured evil down on us. Dumping, massive hail. We stubbornly pressed on, hoping to make it to "cocktail rock," but then it got to be too much (about two inches of hail sticking on the ground) and we turned around.

It was like riding in snow, but then lower down, mud and water. We were covered head to toe in water and mud. Coldest descent, and day, of my life. Hot tea and a fireplace at El Adobe in San Juan Capistrano helped.

Oh, and it wasn't hailing very much in this picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OC Trail Conditions (San Juan?)-sanjuantrail.jpg