mtbr member
    Oct 2012

OC - Shady Canyon Area Trails?

I picked up a mountain bike about a month ago, but have mainly been stuck on the paved roads thus far. There don't seem to be any bike rack options currently being made for my car (I may check out the suction cup options that were just reviewed on this site) so I pretty much have to ride to anywhere I want to go.

I rode over to the Shady Canyon loop on Tuesday and had fun, but at just 1.7 miles and not technical at all, it's not exactly what I was hoping for. It's only about a 7 mile ride for me to get there though, so it's one of my only options at the time.

Are there any other trails right in that same area that I could check out? I'll figure out the bike rack situation eventually, but at this time I pretty much need to be able to pedal to wherever I am going to ride.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    From Shady Canyon you can ride into Laguna Coast Wilderness Park, El Moro State Park, and (if you're fit and motivated!) Aliso and Wood Canyons Park. There are trails for all levels, although many of them may not appear on maps...
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been looking at google maps and following the trails through there to get a better idea. Looks like there are definitely some good places I can ride.

I'm still at the beginners level, even the small climb at the shady canyon loop got me winded at the top. I made 2 loops around it and with the ride back home that was about right. I'll probably just stick to that for the next month and try to do an extra loop every time I hit it to get my stamina up.

A buddy of mine took me down to El Moro and I ended up walking my bike up half of the first climb, but I still really enjoyed it, especially hauling ass down the side of the mountain to the lower trails. So I'm motivated to get better at this.

mtbr member
    Yeah link it up with what dirtvert said. Most of all the trails on the maps are very sanitized for all users. What kind of car do you have? Thule make racks for just about every car, I love there products. Once you get a rack you can venture out to some cool trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am driving a 370Z right now. There is a rack out there for it, but it looks like the small company hasn't made any in over a year now.

Thule doesn't list any for the 370Z, but it looks like the mini cooper rack may work, just hard to risk $500 or so on a rack without knowing for sure...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You might visit Rack n Road

1995 HARBOR BLVD STE A
    COSTA MESA
    Tel: 949-574-9990

I bought racks for a hang glider from them years ago. Looks like they've changed owners, but it is a shop dedicated to car racks, so they know their stuff. They should be able to outfit your car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    By the way, when I started riding in OC a few years ago I bought this book to learn where the trails are: Mountain Biking Orange County, by Randy Vogel. You can probably find it on Amazon for cheap, or at your local bike shop.

It is a bit dated, written in '96, but amazingly still quite accurate. It lists MANY cool rides around here, and I've now ridden almost all of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think Seasucker racks would work well in your situation. On the other hand, can you take off both wheels and put the bike in the trunk? You are going to hate riding so much pavement to ride dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's a lot of money. But how about a hitch rack? You'd have to install a hitch (about $150) and the hitch rack (about $125 to as much as you want). Hint hint 1UPUSA

Look out for the Yakima KingJoe series or the likes from other makers. You should find something in the low $100 range for new. Hell, you can find some for around $50 on Amazon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    From the Quail Hill Trailhead (Shady Canyon loop parking lot), follow the dirt bike path towards the ocean for 2.5 miles or so (this is Shady Canyon Bike Path - which has both paved and dirt). You end up at Bommer Canyon Trailhead. Take the doubletrack trail behind the building (Bommer Meadows trail) for about 1 mile or so. It winds around then crosses a street. Take the singletrack trail directly across the street - Bommer Pass (it goes up then down about 0.5 miles). After you get to the bottom, turn around and go back the way you came. I liked this ride when I was a complete beginner.

If you go beyond Bommer Pass singletrack, the terrain gets much tougher (West Fork is a tough climb and Turtle Ridge is a tight, steep, switchback climb - in this direction).

Also, don't bother with the Shady Canyon loop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Another good ride is Aliso creek trail. Just park at the main parking lot and ride down the paved road for 2.5 miles or so, then hang a right onto the dirt trail. Take the trail all the way to the base of Cholla trail (there's a sign and a covered bench where everyone stops and rests). Turn around and go back to your car. If you're feeling adventurous, there's a singletrack called Coyote Run that parallels Aliso Creek trail. But there's one spot that you'll likely have to walk both up and down but its only about 50 yards long or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    In response to the posts about the racks, I'll head over to Rack n Road hopefully this weekend. It's right near where I work actually. Unfortunately I can't install a hitch on the Z, the muffler is right in the way from what I've learned. The Seasucker mounts are probably what I'll lean towards. I really want to be able to remove the rack when it's not in use and keep the car clean. Even with removing the wheels, there is really no way to get the bike inside the car, just no cargo space at all.

Hoping it isn't raining on Monday, if not I'll see if I can locate the Bommer pass trail and explore that. A buddy of mine is out of the country right now, but when he gets back I'll get him to take his truck out so we can ride some other trails. I've seen a few of my friends ride the Aliso Creek trails on my Strava app.

Very happy about all the replies this thread has gotten already, nice community you guys have built here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am pretty sure that Rack N Road doesn't carries Seasuckers. I bought mine direct, but some forum members get it through
    PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    He is a forum member.

I have been following the lengthy thread about Seasuckers. And someone was using it with your car.
    Seasucker?
    PM me if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for linking me to that page. I actually like the Seasucker product he is using a bit more than the one that was just reviewed on this website. Looks like it would hold the bike a lot more stable with the rear tire attachment. The only thing I don't like about it is that I would have to take it off of the car every time I got to the trail and put it back on when I was ready to leave for fear of it being stolen...

XMas is right around the corner though so maybe I can put this at the top of a 1 item XMas list