Warrior's Society

OC Register write up on 24hrs of OC

Check it out:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1151486.php

Place of their own
    The races in Silverado Canyon are put on by the Warrior's Society Mountain Bike Club. The 24 Hours of Orange County is June 3-4 at the ranch.

By DAVE STREGE
    The Orange County Register

A mountain biker navigates a trail.

FILE PHOTO
    Graphic
    Elevation profile of the race
    Graphic
    The race loop
    24 Hours of Orange County
    Where: The Flying B Ranch in Silverado Canyon.

When: June 3-4. Race starts at noon on June 3.

Who: Open to all; divisions include solo, two-person, five-person and corporate (six-10-person teams) with age and men/women/coed categories.

Cost: $85 per rider. Public welcome at $5 per vehicle.

Practice: The course will be open 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, for practice rides by contestants or for those wanting to test the course to determine whether they want to enter. Cost is $5 per vehicle.

Contact: Visit www.warriorssociety.org, call (714) 894-8211 or e-mail countingcoup@
    warriorssociety.org.
    Essentials for the race

Be in shape! Remember, this is an endurance race.
    Bring plenty of water. About 200 ounces of water for two to three laps.
    Comfort food, sport supplements, dinner and breakfast
    Changes of clothes, extra socks
    Spare tubes/tires
    Helmet, gloves, sunglasses, sunblock
    Warmth for cold evening laps
    Lighting system for bikes, charger. (power strip will be provided)
    Tents, basic camping gear

Sources: Amy Ferguson property manager of the Flying B Ranch, Baker Canyon Green Recyling; Sherry Panttaja, Switchback Cyclery; Geoladders.org

SILVERADO - A dirt trail zigzags through scrub oak, sage and mustard plants. It goes up and down, curves around, intersects fire roads and connects to make one giant, 6.3-mile loop.

Just what Orange County mountain biking enthusiasts needed - a trail system on private land designed for mountain bike events, and one that is close to home.

The venue is called the Flying B Ranch, and it will host the first 24 Hours of Orange County mountain bike relay race June 3-4.

"We've been looking for quite some time for an area to hold competitive events," said Chris Vargas, executive director of the Warrior's Society Mountain Bike Club.

"It's hard to hold events at county parks because of the safety issues and the concern for people. Fortunately, we knew this picnic area existed."

Dan Dulac and Allan Dean own adjacent property, about 800 acres in all.

Dean owns Silverado Ranch, which includes the Black Star RV and Picnic Park.

Vargas said he first approached Dean four years ago about possibly using the property for mountain bike events.

But it wasn't until two years ago when the parties hooked up, with Dulac calling Vargas.

"He was thinking of ways to make money off this property, because you can't develop it," Vargas said. "Dan called me and said, `Why don't you come take a look?' That's how the ball started rolling."

Volunteers from Warrior's Society built most the trails and are adding to them, as well as maintaining the current ones.

Last year, the first for public events at the Flying B Ranch, the club put on the Six Hours of Orange County, the 12 Hours of Orange County and a sprint series.

Equestrian, running and BMX events could be in the future for the Flying B, too.

"There's a lot of potential," Vargas said.

Thus far all proceeds have been put back into the infrastructure. As for building a reputation, that'll take time, Vargas said.

"So it's important the events we do, we offer value out there," he said.

At $85 for the 24-Hour race, it's a bargain compared to $250 charged by similar races.

"It's important this venue succeeds, because there's a real need for it, especially with gas prices at $3.25 and above, and the closest facility being Fontana," Vargas said.

"We're going to keep on investing and building up the infrastructure, and, hopefully, we'll get some big-time sponsors that will be willing to put up major cash to sponsor the park."

ali'i hua
    any better info on the race course? geo-something-o-other? how ssable is it?

apparently I'm now part of a 5-man team....as of this morning.

ss poser
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=915

i personally wouldn't ride my ss at the ranch, but hey, i'm just a ss poser... seriously, i've seen tons do it. if you're fit, go for it. it'll be a long day... good luck & have fun!! see ya out there!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell

i personally wouldn't ride my ss at the ranch, but hey, i'm just a ss poser... seriously, i've seen tons do it. if you're fit, go for it. it'll be a long day... good luck & have fun!! see ya out there!
    Tink, you could totally do SS at the ranch....you just have to be geared right.

When my wife did the 6 hour there...i put a 22 tooth cog on the back. That gear change allowed her to ride 99% of the course and stay relatively fresh.

ss poser
    oh, come on padre! don't even compare me to madre! that gerl's got legs of steel! i've seen her ride!

that's what i run..22 in the rear. i dunno... maybe some day i'll 'man up' & give it a go.

Warrior's Society
    oh, come on padre! don't even compare me to madre! that gerl's got legs of steel! i've seen her ride!

that's what i run..22 in the rear. i dunno... maybe some day i'll 'man up' & give it a go.

What's the worst that could happen.......ya suffer for about 45 minutes, then its over.

mtnbikej

Recovering Weight Weenie

Pretty sure 24 tooth rear cogs are available. I know I have a 23.

mtbr member

At least SS removes the problems with shifting on that up and down course. I'm glad I brought extra cogs and a chain whip, I had no idea how it was going to be. Very steep sections but at least short sections.

4 laps with a GPS, I've plotted % grade against distance and colored for altitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

COme on TInk you could handle it. You totally hammered up Cholla on Saturday.
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    What's the worst that could happen.......ya suffer for about 45 minutes, then its over.

mtnbikej
    oh, goody. the ss will make me faster...!

j, i do the loop in an hour on my geared bike... doh!

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by ocrider101
    COme on TInk you could handle it. You totally hammered up Cholla on Saturday.
    tks, matt!

what a turn out we had on sat, no? i hope the we can expect a good turn out for the race, too!