Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Oakley Berms Trails Threatened!!!

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  She&I 
#1 ·
A big developer wants to build homes and a shopping center there. Check it out: save-portola-hills

#4 ·
About This Project

Blue Yellow Brown Red White
Branch Sunlight Trail Forest Nature reserve
Plant community Nature reserve Ecoregion Signage Sign
Vegetation Branch Plant community Leaf Trail
Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant community Natural landscape
Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire
Thanks to both fongster and mtnbikej for posting! Lots of info can be found here: save-portola-hills and here: https://www.facebook.com/StopBaldwin

I believe this project has overwhelming negative impacts for local residents, and losing the trails is just one of those impacts. I am not "anti-development" or "anti-property" rights. However, I think the information below demonstrates how bad this project is.(This is an explanation of my viewpoint, based on what I've learned in the last few months.)

Property owners (such as Baldwin and Sons) DO have a right to develop, but only within the law. The law is SUPPOSED to take into account many factors.

In my opinion, current law for notifying area residents is deplorable. We live only a few hundred feet from the site but were never notified of the project. As you might imagine, developers have no incentive to notify all affected parties.

This property is contiguous to the Edison Trails, Aliso Creek and Whiting Ranch Park. (All preserved spaces.) In my opinion, the EIR does NOT adequately address the negative impacts to these spaces. The proposed development is IMMEDIATELY adjacent - see here: save-portola-hills

Once complete, the project will generate 10,400 additional vehicle trips DAILY. This is a huge amount for such a small area.

Thanks to everyone who reads and posts here!

#7 ·
Plant community Soil Landscape Sand Trail
She&I - to my knowledge, free access to the land has been granted since the 1980s. I spoke to a couple of guys who have been building and riding trails here for 20 years and they said they were NOT the first - wow!

The image above shows just a small part of the work that has been done. There are actually BMX courses, berm trails AND traditional MTB single-track. It's a little paradise...

Dirtrider127 - I agree that people need to GET INVOLVED. This effort is exploding in popularity and local businesses are now getting on board!

EVERYONE - please join our mailing list here: save-portola-hills

Our first event will be announced soon...

#9 ·
View attachment 928142 She&I - to my knowledge, free access to the land has been granted since the 1980s. I spoke to a couple of guys who have been building and riding trails here for 20 years and they said they were NOT the first - wow!

The image above shows just a small part of the work that has been done. There are actually BMX courses, berm trails AND traditional MTB single-track. It's a little paradise...

Dirtrider127 - I agree that people need to GET INVOLVED. This effort is exploding in popularity and local businesses are now getting on board!

EVERYONE - please join our mailing list here: save-portola-hills

Our first event will be announced soon...
cool, thanks for the info! used to ride and dig there a bunch in the early 2000's while living in Aliso, would be a shame to see it go away.

#8 · (Edited)
There is not another riding area similar to Oakley Singletracts and play area. Orange County does not put much emphasis on outdoor recreation they like the revenue from new property taxes. They believe that a graded fireroad is good enough for the MTBing crowd. Oakley shows how wrong they are. The trails in Oakley are better maintained than most of the trails in our parks. Just to bad that MTBers have such a small voice. Time to release the fairy shrimp, endangered toads and gnat catchers on the property.

I feel like a endangered MTBer.

Dean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.