mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Is the Nursery Still Open For Pass through At San Clemente - Rose Canyon Loop

Rode through here for the first time in probably 6 or 7 years on Sunday. I figured maybe they're just closed on Sundays but I seem to remember riding through here pretty regularly on the weekends way back when.

Anyone know for certain if/when it's open to pass through? If not, what options do I have for going around it but keeping as much of the trail both north and south of the nursery as possible. Thanks!

mtbr member
    They have been more active in patching the hole in the fence so sometimes you can't get through there easily. Construction has also messed up some of the passage under 805, as well as the Cemetary killed a lot of the good trail on the north side. I rarely go over there any more. Instead I take the trail up to the park just west of 805, cross over to Governor and up the highway off ramp, there is a trail exit there near the top of the ramp that puts you along the south side of the nursery fence. Then continue as normal.

Beer Please!
    I never knew you could connect the two on that end. I always connected at the 5 fwy via the cement wash.

I only tried to ride under the 805 going east in San Clemente Canyon once, and it quickly became a hike a bike mess and got really narrow under the freeway. I can see trails on the north east corner of that intersection as I drive east on 52 and merge to north 805, but how they get down and across the creek I have no idea.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    cool stuff,

Ya... not sure why or what the normal route to take is but i've always parked at clairemont mesa, Headed west, split north along the 5 usually riding just above that cement duct unless I make a mistake :-p.... then cross the duct on a board that's always been there There's now a bridge type deal at the north end, continue north toward rose canyon, start heading east about over there near la jolla colony, cross genesee and pick the trail back up on the north side of UC highschool, continue heading east, under the 805 (noticed the construction already mentioned here last weekend, didn't want to follow the construction road up so had to walk down to the trail close to where that broken down Scout is(i didn't look for alternate routes i just knew i had to get down there to know where i was :-p)... then continue east until the long straight hill that goes up to the north side of nursery is.

At this point I rode around a bit looking for legal ways in/around the nursery. At which time I noticed the temporary gates on the north side were not locked in most areas, move it to get in, set it back where it was but ended up hopping the barbed fence on the south side of the nursery to get out (probably catch some flack for that... head south keeping left straight and down the big contruction hill with what i like to call speed bumps in it...BUT here will be a faint single track on the west side of this road hardly visible anymore this heads south west a bit then has a steep rocky climb and turns more east and eventually heads down to the 805/52 junction, I do walk down, cross the creek bed on foot, then walk up to the north side under the 52 bridge and ride where possible and walk where necessary my bike under the bridges south west a bit and it drops me off just after the eastbound 52 onramp to the 805, then i just head west on the trail to finish

All of that you can see pretty clearly on a google satellite map of the area if you ever wanted to try it, I really like the section connecting the south side of the nursery back to marian. My only concern now is i don't want to anger the nursery. I may just call and talk to them

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    It is completely fenced in now. Used to be open on the back end towards Miramar to allow you to drop down into Rose Canyon.

I live in PQ and work in Kearny Mesa so it is a route I would take after work once or twice a year. I rode into the nursery though the front gate and headed towards the back. Nobody ever says anything to me when I do so I thought I was fine. Unfortunately the fence is there now. It is a construction grade, temp chain-link fence but I don't think it is temporary.

It appears there is passage along the back side of the nursery between it and the Miramar fence but long ago there was a fence blocking the south side of that passage too, where the earth moving equipment yard for Miramar Landfill is located.

Ultimately I wound up riding a bit on the north bound 805 on ramp, threw the bike over and hopped the fence to take the power line utility road into Rose Canyon. You can't even access it without climbing fences.

Does anybody have a contact that we can create some sort of easement long the back side of the nursery?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    I think you'd be calling our pals over at MCAS Miramar. The way they have been treating us lately though, I wouldn't bother.