a.k.a. MTBMaven

"North Shore" Like Trails in SoCal?

I'm planning a trip to the Whistler area for the end of May and have been looking at all kinds of photos of the trails up there. There is some really sweet looking stuff I've found in the Whistler area.

So this got me thinking as I sit here while it rains, again, do we have any trails in the SoCal area with "North Shore" like structures? I knew of some okay structures in the PV area that were hidden in a canyon, but most of these have been destroyed last I rode. Plus they were rather small in height off the ground and only about ten feet long at the most.

It seems that most of the trails I ride are all on National Forest or other federal agency lands (e.g. Angeles, Cleveland, San Bernardino, and Santa Monica). I would imagine that building North Shore like structures would be difficult to accomplish on these protected lands, especially seeing as we have issues keeping them open for bikes anyway. However...do people know what the possibilities of building approved structures would be?

I've seen on this forum where bikes have installed homemade bridges at stream crossings. Many of our local trails have been seriously destroyed around stream crossings due to all the rain. I'm wondering if building small elevated bridges across these streams would be beneficial for the trails in the long run. I would love to see mountain bike trail groups get approval to build cool, challenging structures for us bikers to ride. Structures with teeter-totters and the like. I would think if we built something with a challenging obstacle, (drop off, really narrow bridge, teeter-totter, etc.) but also provided an easy alternative for less skilled bikers and hikers it would be easier to get approval for the powers that be.

See attached drawing of a teeter-totter bridge I just drew up. I wanted something what was a suspension style bridge that would not block the flow of water in the stream. Something like this would be really fun. If there was a regular flat bridge right next to the teeter-totter the bridge would be useable by all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 03-18-2005 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    where are you located in socal????

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Pasadena

Pasadena

mtbr member
    No trails, you just have to make do with what you find. And put it back when you're done.

mtbr member
    yeah you gotta be careful with what you build cause they could very well close the trail to bikers if someone is hurt.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I would never build something without permission. First of all I don't want trails to get closed, second I don't want to spend the time and money if it's just going to get ripped out.

The people up north have been able to build stuff legally, granted some of trails are illegal, but tons are legal. It would great to get permission to build some obsticals so long as they also provided an easy way around as well. It seams it might be easier to get permission from local or state parks rather than from the feds.

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    I have a secret N.shore style trail but it needs work. All I need is a cordless saw and some help.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Donde esta?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    mmm....fun...

Glad to Be Alive
    search and you will find
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 09:21 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Nice Work

Nice work there. Is it legal? A non-response will suffice if not. If so how did you get approval?

suspension whore
    I'm in pasadena too
    count me in if you need help