Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

North L.A. County Trails

2K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  archer 
#1 ·
I have 3 weeks off for Christmas so I'll be riding as much as possible to avoid doing yard work! If any of you would like to join me, just let me know. I can ride almost any day except 1/4-6 when we'll be in Laughlin. There are great, accessible trails up here from Devil's Punchbowl in the east to Golden Eagle in the west and lots in between. Consider this a year round invite to ride some different trails especially after the Station Fire has closed many trails "down below". Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

#5 ·
The only trails I've ridden in the burn area are Middle Merrill (only once), Strawberry Peak and Chilao/Silver Mocassin/Mt. Vetter (both several times). The accessible trails up here are similar. There's a variety of hardpack to loose, gravelly terrain with a good mix of rocks, sharp turns and switchbacks on most of them. 5-Deer is probably the most technical but I'm not sure if it's open. Golden Eagle is great with lots of swooping turns; Devil's Punchbowl/Burkhardt has a bit of everything! Switchbacks, rock gardens among mostly forest hardpack. The Acton trail (my name for it) is a slow speed, bike handling skills test on the north flank of Mt. Gleason. The Joshua Ranch area in Palmdale is like a short race course with several short climbs connecting short, singletrack descents of varying levels of difficulty. They mostly have the typical forest road climbs with singletrack descents. The recent rains have packed down the sandy spots and made the trails nice and tacky. Let me know if and when you want to ride!

#8 ·
I'm in the area as well. I'm in pretty lazy shape at the moment. Not a lot of time off though.

Just did Golden Eagle a few weeks back and it was fun, although I was slow on the way up and it was a bit chilly hanging around talking once we got down.

I did a number of group rides this year including Just Outstanding / Shirley Meadow twice, Cannell Trail/Meadow/Plunge once, Mt. Pinos / McGill Trail a couple times. Didn't care much for Strawberry Peak. A lot of the guys are based in Tehachapi so there have been a number of local rides up there.

Otherwise I've just been doing a few area rides that are nothing special.

#9 ·
Oregon Visitor

Hey folks, I grew up here in the AV but have been living in Eugene, OR for the past 16 years or so. I am going to be staying in Rosamond for the next few months and would love to discover some of the riding in the area. I have a flexible schedule that allows me to ride quite a bit. Can you help a brother out?

#11 ·
Sure! Just let me know when you can ride. I don't know of anything in Rosamond but there's got to be some good riding on the moto trails north of town. I have ridden up by the windmill farms off Tehachapi/Willow Springs Road. It was pretty good but it's been a couple years since I've been there. Archer, let me know when you can ride and start getting back in shape!

#12 ·
Maddog said:
I don't know the Golden Valley trail. Where's that? I used to ride the area on your Garmin when we lived in Palmdale. That area is fun just following your nose to find a different trail.
The Golden Valley trail started right about where the via Princessa exit is off the 14 in Canyon Country/Newhall. Theres a Lowes and Bed Bath and Beyond etc. there now. Too bad - there was some great singletrack there. In those days ('80's-early 90's) guys from Mountain Bike Action had Wednesday rides with 30-50 people showing up every week. Lots of good rides that are covered with suburban sprawl now.

The area on the Garmin is full of trails and that one in particular is a great training ride for me. 1,700 ft. of elevation and the Edison Road comes at you like intervals. From the top its about 10 miles of downhill too. Not the most scenic ride but its close enough to ride from my garage!
I did the Fall Classic at Big Bear in Sept. for my first race. I'd like to ride more to get in better shape for next year. I'm 50 y.o. and getting long in the tooth!

#13 ·
I have plans for most of the weekend but I will probably have some time in the afternoon next week.
I have found a nice little 7 mile loop right out of my front door. About half of it is singletrack with one really sweet (but short) descent. I am continuing to explore the area northwest of town. There are tons of dirt roads.

#16 ·
I'm in Antelope Acres and have been driving to Newhall Ave (San Fernando Rd) to the park and ride. Nice little 4 mile climb and then Placerita Canyon Trail back down to the Nature Center. I would like to find something closer.

#23 ·
We're riding on 12/30/09 Wednesday! Meet at Quartz Hill High School at 9:00 a.m. in the parking lot along 60th west. The school is on the corner of 60th west and Ave. L. We'll ride either Grass Mountain or Joshua Ranch trails depending on weather. Also, I'm thinking of riding Golden Eagle either Thurs, Sat. or Sun. It'll be great after a little rain! Let me know if any of you want to ride on any of these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.