Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494

    North L.A. County Rides

    I'm a newbie to the forum so I'd like to put out a cattle call for anyone interested in joining me in future North L.A. County rides. I live in Lancaster and once the fires are put out and the smoke clears there is some great riding in and around the Antelope Valley. I go on day trips from Big Bear to Mt. Pinos and north to the Kern Plateau and even Mammoth. I'm 46 and weigh 215 lbs so I climb slow but decend fast. I prefer cross country but won't turn down a good shuttle. I've been riding for 13 yrs and I'm not a weirdo (unless you ask my wife or daughter). Contact me if you want to join in on some good riding up here. My previous riding buddies have either lost interest or have morphed into roadies and I'm getting tired of my wife nagging me about riding solo! Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    748

    Teacher huh?

    my bro-in-law teaches at littlerock hs, mr keily. lemme know if you do 5 deer or any scv rides. scott

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Namlak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    134
    Yep, Five Deer is a good ride.

    Also check out Devil's Punchbowl.

    If you go a bit south there are even more options - lot's of stuff surrounding the SF valley and into La Canada and Pasadena areas.

    Here's a good group that rides the area

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494

    I know him!

    Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    my bro-in-law teaches at littlerock hs, mr keily. lemme know if you do 5 deer or any scv rides. scott
    I taught at littlerock for 8 years and know Keily well enough to feel sorry for you! I'm planning on a ride for Sunday; probably McGill at Frasier Park; so let me know if you can come. I'm technologically challenged so I don't know if we can do direct e-mail on this site but I'll call Keily to contact you. For that same reason I have to ask; what is an scv ride?

  5. #5
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,811
    scv = Santa Clarita Valley (the southern part of which is currently resembling The Great Smokey mountains....ugh!)

    If you guys are riding in the area (SCV), post it here so others like myself can try to join you. I live in Castaic, I will be 46 in a few months and am well into the Clyde catagory (not a fast climber) myself.

    PS: Try not to scare any birds into the power lines

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    748

    what he said...

    thats where i live. there is a group who rides every sunday morn. from the rec. center out there at Castaic. here's my addy scottay1@socal.rr.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494

    Down Below

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    scv = Santa Clarita Valley (the southern part of which is currently resembling The Great Smokey mountains....ugh!)

    If you guys are riding in the area (SCV), post it here so others like myself can try to join you. I live in Castaic, I will be 46 in a few months and am well into the Clyde catagory (not a fast climber) myself.

    PS: Try not to scare any birds into the power lines
    Thanks for the info. Out here in the country we call anything south of Acton "Down Below". I'll post if I plan a ride near you. Always nice to encounter another middle-aged Clydesdale! How about that red-tailed hawk arsonist? The Crown fire was caused by some dope using his lawn mower to clear his brush. Now a Forest Service spokesperson said on the news that they are considering closing down forest access as they did in the fall of '02. That would be a bummer. They should just keep out guidance challenged birds of prey and knuckleheads who start fires while making their fire clearance zone!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Namlak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    Out here in the country we call anything south of Acton "Down Below"
    That's OK, we here in the Valley call anything North of Canyon Country "Where?!?"

    (And anything South of the Santa Monica Mountains is known as "Slow Roasted Death by Traffic")

    As I mentioned below Five Deer is a good ride on Bouquet Canyon Road between SCV and AV.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlak
    That's OK, we here in the Valley call anything North of Canyon Country "Where?!?"

    (And anything South of the Santa Monica Mountains is known as "Slow Roasted Death by Traffic")

    As I mentioned below Five Deer is a good ride on Bouquet Canyon Road between SCV and AV.
    Fortunately, I have a job up here and don't have to endure the "slow roasted death by traffic". You're right about Five Deer. It's a great trail. Let me know when you ride it next and perhaps I can meet you there.

Similar Threads

  1. New to SD North County and NEED to start riding again!
    By davedave in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 02:23 PM
  2. New to San Diego
    By gallorody in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:40 AM
  3. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
  4. OK ... wrote my North Shore letter -
    By Duncan! in forum Passion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 07:43 PM
  5. help save the North Shore
    By Jesus in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •