mtbr member

North County San Diego riders

I just moved to north county (vista) and I am tired of riding alone. I am 24 yes old and I consider myself an intermediate rider but my conditioning has dropped to a poor poor level. I currently ride in Carlsbad at the Rancho LA Costa preserve. I am slowly getting myself back into shape by hiking my 2005 giant team dh up the trails 3 times a week (getting trail time preparing for snow summit) I do have a 2003 giant iguana that I am going to begin to ride up the trails again. To get further in conditioning. I feel I'm holding myself back in my downhill and in my conditioning by having no one to chase/ride with. Message me or post if you want to ride sometime. Im normally at the trail head at about 7am and normally make it to the view point no later than 8 depending on how long I get ready.

Looking forward to meeting some of you. If there are any tips you guys have on bettering conditioning lmk. Dr says no running though. Have to save my knees.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I don't usually head up that way much but when I am looking for a challenge to get back in shape, Daley Ranch is a pretty fun park. Lots of climbing but rewarding DH as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Head out to Calaveras...a lot of daily riders out there and plenty of loops to get some saddle time. My buddies and I are out there 2-3 times a week...message me if you want to ride sometime.

mtbr member
    I was at La Costa both days this weekend - must've missed you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check dirttreaders.com - they have group rides at Calavera (and a few other places) 2-3X per week and always post on teh sire when they are going to meet up. They ride a couple times a week per night and almost every saturday morning.

mtbr member
    I'll check that out. Gouda- I was there pretty early. I park at the end of junipero in a blue Nissan. Runningchicken- I'll message you when I head out there. After work rides don't happen too much since I'm off when its dark most of the time.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member

Resurrecting this thread... saw a few riders out at La Costa this weekend on Copper Creek, Whiptail, and Horned Lizard. Anyone, anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Resurrecting this thread... saw a few riders out at La Costa this weekend on Copper Creek, Whiptail, and Horned Lizard. Anyone, anyone?
    After all these years, I still have not made it back up that way. I know that Rich J. is a true 'artiste' with trail design and trail work. Any thing he touches is improved. I think I even saw the telltale signs of his touch on a hillside single track in San Clemente canyon. It's that one that leads south to behind the Strauss brewery. It went from an off camber, sketchy trail in most places to a nice bench-cut that is 100% rideable. Now, it's a GREAT little trail, so I know that La Costa/Copper C. has to be first-rate!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    I was out there hiking with the ball n chain today...saw a juvenile rattler on Whiptail. I guess they don't know it's December yet.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    I was out there hiking with the ball n chain today...saw a juvenile rattler on Whiptail. I guess they don't know it's December yet.
    Really? Whereabouts? Toward the top or bottom? I'm surprised I haven't seen any sort of wildlife outside of rabbits and birds this year.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    After all these years, I still have not made it back up that way. I know that Rich J. is a true 'artiste' with trail design and trail work. Any thing he touches is improved. I think I even saw the telltale signs of his touch on a hillside single track in San Clemente canyon. It's that one that leads south to behind the Strauss brewery. It went from an off camber, sketchy trail in most places to a nice bench-cut that is 100% rideable. Now, it's a GREAT little trail, so I know that La Costa/Copper C. has to be first-rate!
    I don't know the history of this Rich J. guy but I've been very impressed with La Costa in the last 6 months I've been regularly riding it!

most memberable
    May 2011
    Really? Whereabouts? Toward the top or bottom? I'm surprised I haven't seen any sort of wildlife outside of rabbits and birds this year.
    About midway between southern end and terminus on Denning rd. another biker had just passed us going up and alerted it to us. That's about the 5th time I have seen snakes there in last 3 years...one almost bit me on The Switchbacks while trail running last year.

most memberable
    May 2011
    I don't know the history of this Rich J. guy but I've been very impressed with La Costa in the last 6 months I've been regularly riding it!
    Whatever happened to Taffy? There used to be some home-made trail signs up there with his name on them...they are gone now.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    About midway between southern end and terminus on Denning rd. another biker had just passed us going up and alerted it to us. That's about the 5th time I have seen snakes there in last 3 years...one almost bit me on The Switchbacks while trail running last year.
    Yikes. I've been lucky I guess. I'm typically out there pretty early, too - not sure if that increases my luck of not seeing any. There have been a few times where I've seen 'tracks' across the trails early in the AM. Figure by midday those snake tracks have been replaced by MTB tire tracks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys!

I'm headed down to visit family in Vista for Thanksgiving. I'll be bringing my bike and hope to hit some trails. I did Calaveras a few years ago, but that was on a loaner bike and I was not in shape(I remember hiking up most of the trails :/). I'll most likely head out there with my bro-in-law and conquer some ****!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sillywantos View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm headed down to visit family in Vista for Thanksgiving. I'll be bringing my bike and hope to hit some trails. I did Calaveras a few years ago, but that was on a loaner bike and I was not in shape(I remember hiking up most of the trails :/). I'll most likely head out there with my bro-in-law and conquer some ****!
    I'll probably be out at La Costa a few days next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ended up riding Calaveras on Saturday afternoon. My brother-in-law hadn't been there in 3 yrs and was surprised about all the fences they built. We rode up the peak, and were greeted by many hikers and a few bikers. Then back down and up to the water tower and around the backside to the parking lot. Not too long of a ride, but it was fun! I hope to ride there again next time I visit.