Truckboy

north county conditions?

Requesting some advice from locals...
    It's possible I'll have time to squeeze in one last vacation ride
    later this afternoon before heading home to MA. Given the recent rain in unusual quantities, is this a terrible idea that would contribute to increased negative attitude toward mtbers in the San Diego area?

I just don't know how well the soil drains here. All advice/directives welcomed and heeded.
    Thanks,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Daley Ranch "might" be okay to ride on, but we had a crazy downpour of rain at around 5:30am this morning. I probably wouldn't risk it.

most memberable
    May 2011
    I'm hiking out at Calavera right now...too wet for riding ....or horses!

Truckboy
    Same for Elfin Forest you guys think? I ask because someone said it's about the only place where tires would have low impact, in the "when its raining here" thread. Seems like even that should be ruled out.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Tomorrow, after 12pm..at earliest...if it doesn't between now and then!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aging Wannabee View Post
    Requesting some advice from locals...
    It's possible I'll have time to squeeze in one last vacation ride
    later this afternoon before heading home to MA. Given the recent rain in unusual quantities, is this a terrible idea that would contribute to increased negative attitude toward mtbers in the San Diego area?

I just don't know how well the soil drains here. All advice/directives welcomed and heeded.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob,
    Sorry the one time you want to ride out here it rains... In the middle of a drought no less. But thanks for being responsible and not being part of the problem. Come back and ride anytime!
    If you are going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill

Truckboy
    Thanks Rhino, bit I'm fine. I'm out here just about every december, and last year shipped my old hardtail to the in-laws', so I get more riding in now than I used to. I got some good miles in this week, some at night, and found a great spin class this morning.
    If any of you guys in the north county are looking for a quality spinning studio, check out Cycology in Encinitas. Great people and great equipment.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Next time you're out look into the San Juan trail in south OC, especially if rain is a factor. It's one of the best regional trails and handles rain really well.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Anyplace in decent enough shape to ride today? With storms approaching tonight and Saturday this is more weather then we have had in a long time. And I notice with the short cool days things are not drying too fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I went to daily Ranch yesterday.. It was fine. Mostly hard packed.. The few wet spots could ride around.. Some nice big puddles on the back street coming into the little village to soak my son as I went by.. But it was nice out there..

Beer Please!
    To the OP - La Costa Trails seem to dry out faster than most North County rides, I think part in due to the steepness of the terrain (no where for water to really puddle up) and in part due to the difference in soil.

That would be the place I would check out before Daley or Calavera.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    After rain La Costa, Double Peak and Elfin are all good areas to hit. Not sure why someone told you not to hit Elfin, it would have been epic conditions even while raining. It cannot hold any rain at all and there are too many rocks to make any impact from the wet weather.

Calaveras gets pretty sticky after moisture. Daley is hit or miss depending on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Anyplace in decent enough shape to ride today? With storms approaching tonight and Saturday this is more weather then we have had in a long time. And I notice with the short cool days things are not drying too fast.
    I rode from Hodges to La Costa today including Elfin and Bernardo and conditions were all time. Bernardo was as good as I have ever seen it and Elfin was not far behind.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks! Good to know. Where in Rancho Bernardo are you referring? And where is Double Peak?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Thanks! Good to know. Where in Rancho Bernardo are you referring? And where is Double Peak?
    Bernardo Mtn at Lake Hodges. Double Peak is in San Marcos, but I recommend a guide up there. Lots of stuff semi hidden in the bushes.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Ahh. After I posted that I thought it might of been Berardo Mt. I'ver never been to double peak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    AND its raining....boo

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    AND its raining....boo
    I feel myself falling out of shape by the day...... Hopefully I can ride this weekend. I normally do all my riding during the week.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Truckboy
    I am so happy that this thread lives on almost a full week after I came home to Mass. Sorry you guys have to deal with weather, but I guess you need the rain.

I had no idea you could link Hodges, La Costa and Elfin. I'll have to start pleading for a guide early next trip out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aging Wannabee View Post
    I am so happy that this thread lives on almost a full week after I came home to Mass. Sorry you guys have to deal with weather, but I guess you need the rain.

I had no idea you could link Hodges, La Costa and Elfin. I'll have to start pleading for a guide early next trip out there.
    Just let me know next time you are out. Everything is up on my Strava profile too. BTW our "weather" is great for riding if you stick to the right locations.