GOT DIRT!!

Norba National/fontana

To all mtn bike racers who raced the nationals this last weekend. What did you think about the whole event overall?

mtbr member
    I've never ridden Southridge, but, overall, the XC course was cool The downhill sandtraps really sucked by the time the sport women went through, though. The Super D was okay. It was my first one, so, I don't have anything to compare it to. As far as the DH, didn't see much of it. I wish they had it end somewhere closer to the venue so everyone can get a glimpse of it and draw more spectators in.

As far as organization, they could have done a better job. Several of us pre-rode the Super D course in the morning and ended up doing half of the XC course It wasn't until during the race that I realized, like everyone else, that the course was indeed shorter. They really need to have a map on the site or on paper during registration and have more aggressive staff to direct people to their events. Also, what about more schwag This is a nationals! They at least have some free flowing sports drinks at the venue like at the Sea Otter.

Overall, I was happy. I podiumed in both events I just wished the event could have been run better, but this is the first one at Southride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiva
    I've never ridden Southridge, but, overall, the XC course was cool The downhill sandtraps really sucked by the time the sport women went through, though. The Super D was okay. It was my first one, so, I don't have anything to compare it to. As far as the DH, didn't see much of it. I wish they had it end somewhere closer to the venue so everyone can get a glimpse of it and draw more spectators in.

As far as organization, they could have done a better job. Several of us pre-rode the Super D course in the morning and ended up doing half of the XC course It wasn't until during the race that I realized, like everyone else, that the course was indeed shorter. They really need to have a map on the site or on paper during registration and have more aggressive staff to direct people to their events. Also, what about more schwag This is a nationals! They at least have some free flowing sports drinks at the venue like at the Sea Otter.

Overall, I was happy. I podiumed in both events I just wished the event could have been run better, but this is the first one at Southride...
    well i got two last places, soooooooo.....

I AM PEDALING!

Good job! It was BIG!!

I would have never thought they could hold that big of an event at Fontucky!!
    My daughter Lacey raced the Jr. Beg 14 & Under Women's class. When we got there that morning they told us at the check in area that she would be doing 1.5 laps, for about a 10 mile course. We saw Donny Jackson later, and he also said 1.5 laps. Lacey and the other girl entered in their catagory ended up doing a REALLY SHORT lap. With the winner pulling a 25 minute lap, and Lacey comming in at 34 mins, I'd say they only rode 3 maybe 4 miles.
    All in all, I'd say they did a good job, but would also hope to see a little improvements on course description.
    Don and his crew deserve a HUGE thanks for the work it took to put it on.
    I'd like to see them land it again for next year.
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

That's gonna leave a mark
    Hey Crash, I saw you and your daughter Lacey in your Warrior's Society jerseys. I was going to say hi but figured you don't know me from Adam so I didn't. I did, however, give Lacey a good luck as I passed by.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

I AM PEDALING!
    Shoot Man, next time come introduce yourself.
    I'm always talking to people I don't know, think I know, or know, but don't remember that I know them.
    Thanks for throwing out the good luck to Lacey!!
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Just another Homer
    Considering it's in my city I felt obligated to go check it out. I was suprised by the size and the amount of people there and racing. Looked to me to be a well run event. I talked to a couple racers and heard the same thing about the course not being easy to find/ride because of no details or markers in key spots. I talked to the guy who got second I believe in the 50 to 55 class and he got beat by the guy in the 65+ catagory.Wow.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

bicycleonthebrain

Southridge is awesome

I can't get enough of that place.i did the marothon on fri and got 16th out of 20something in the open class: and on sunday did the open singlespeed class and got 8th out of 21. two spots off the podium i'm super stoked.Donnie and his crew and tom and his did a great job. no complants here.those of you that are complaining about shwagg : , they gave 6 bikes away everyday. and on top of that the bar naked had all the granola you could eat.Donnie's odi tent had redbulls.what else do you need? anyway i don't race for shwagg
    The course was just another day at southridge I ride that course 3-5 times a week (i live only 20-minutes away). After the pro men went through on saturday, it looked like a heard of horses stampeded the place.But hey thats Southridge ruts, ruts, and mors ruts plus a couple of hells
    Last edited by vzman; 05-09-2006 at 12:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the event was well done. It takes alot of effort to do a national and Donnie and crew and as always TBB did a outstanding job. Being only my second race back in 4 years (first was Firestone) things havent changed much.Too bad Big Bear cant do DH it was the best venue on the west coast. All in all a great race weekend !

mtbr member

Good job! Great Event

Don & his crew put together a great event. Loads of thoings going on: lots of companies/vendors showed up and the scenery was great!! The female MTB racers ROCK

To those who complain, it's probably because they didn't pre-ride the course. Plus, there was plenty of free stuff as well.

I had ridden the XC course before the event and anticipated it wouldn't be easy, besides who really wants an easy race? Atleast the course doesn't have hike-a-bike sections.

Hopefully the consensus is that they'll be back here in Fontana next year.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Anyone know which company took the photos?

bicycleonthebrain
    Terry Martin took alot of photos.if you race southridge through-out the year, you no Terry