mtbr member
    Mar 2007

... and if we just ... Noobie noob getting back to sport.

Hello People,
    I'm new here, and in the process of purchasing a new MTB, I previouly ride when i was younger, I rode BMX and bought a MTB from Toy's R us in high school about 10yrs ago geez, has it been that long I used to freestyle, a little down hill, and do some jumps from little hills to homemade ramps for fun with friends when i had my BMX. Any ways, i'm basically doing my research and trying to search a new MTB to use for an all around use. Mostly, probably going to use it for XC and maybe alittle downhill or a little freeride with friends, but for most, i'm not going to compete.

I'am about 6'0" 235lbs, experience: BMX and a little MTB, did security using a MTB in the mountains and beach. At the moment, i'm looking to replace my toy's R us MTB and upgrade to a better bike that will support to what i want to do.

For the momment, i'm looking into Specialized, Kona, & GT: I have gone to 2 refered shops from cyclist from my area and gotten measured for the frame and size, 18" frame & 26" rims. Models that i have narrowed it down to are: Specialized: Rockhoopper Disc or Hardrock sport Disc both hardtails, for the KOna: Stuff or Caldera Backcountry also hardtails and last is GT Avalanche 2.0 & 3.0 disc. Without looking at the price tag, i guess Specialized is the way to go, but for most, i'm looking for a good deal and have a budget of $400 to $525 max. (i may move a little higher on my budget if the situation is right ) for the Price and all around use is the GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc Hardtail.

Any comments to what i'm choosing, i guess i've been out of the sport for awhile and don't really know what i'm getting into, but i know that these bike should take the pounding and last me for awhile and upgrade part as i get more experience. My only preference in MTB that i'm looking into was Disc Brakes, Hardtail, & budget. i appreciate everyone's comments and time to read this and will take everyone's advice to choosing the right MTB.
    thanx everyone

mtbr member

Welcome back

Well, I can give you a little advice as a noob last year who got into it with an entry level hardtail (Fisher Wahoo) who is also about the same size. The Hardrock Disk and GT 3.0 have about the same component set as mine and have lasted pretty well in riding over the SoCal rocks. Things I've had to replace (about 700 miles of riding): tires, rear hubs (just got new wheels), cassette, chain and chainrings. My derailleurs have worked just fine and I don't feel a pressing need to go to a 9 speed setup (like the Rockhopper and Av 2.0). I have riding buddies that have the GT and Hardrock and they are happy with them. Make sure whichever way you go to make sure they fit and set up your bike for you, and that you test ride before you buy.
    If you are not doing 3 foot drops a $500 hardtail should work just fine.

Have fun
    Ron in SD
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

mtbr member
    My only advice is buy the best bike with the best components that you can afford. Because if you stick with it, you WILL want to upgrade. It's inevitable. I bought a budget/entry level bike at first (this was in 1998) and I regreted it after about two weeks. After a bit, I bought a GT Avalanche and I was very happy with that after I put Rock Shox Judy's on it and Race Face cranks and a new wheelset. Remember, this was around 1999!

I now have over a few thousand into my bike and it is addicting. I always want more and I always want to upgrade.

Here was my first "real" bike:

Here is my current bike:

Obviously I have spent waaaaay too much on bikes! But like I said, the best thing to do is pay for all the stuff now, then you will want to continue. It's kid of like buying a guitar. If you buy a cheapo lame one, it hurts, it's tough to play and you eventually quit. If you get a nice one, it's much smoother and easier to play and it's a blast!

JMHO.

Good luck! let us know how it's going.

Oh, you get a lot of bang for your buck if you buy LAST years model, and Iron Horse and Kona seem to give you a lot for your money. I wish my first bike was a Kona Stinky.
    Last edited by Bobby Peru; 04-02-2007 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Close to buying...

Thank you everyone for reading and suggesting some advise.

I'm very close to buying and may have made my choice, as of now, i'm in the comparison stage and comparing a MTB to my choice and which one would either replace it or just keep it.

My first choice is the Specialized RockHopper Disc, basically just wondering if this MTB is better than the TREK 4400 Disc, HardRock Disc, or GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc.

I've been doing some small research and learned some vocabulary to shorten the discription to what, im thinking or maybe doing with my MTB. I guess, i'm going to use my MTB for: Crosstrailing or XC, Single track, and maybe little down hill for fun, but seriously not to go mad and throw my self down a doubleblack diamond ski hill.
    Can these MTB handle these type of riding?

again, i'm 6'0" 235lbs...experienced bmx in my teenage years, and did some mtb security 5 yrs ago.

mtbr member
    I say go with the GT. I had one for years before I got my first DH bike. It can take whatever you are going to give it. I get the feeling that you won't be doing any big doubles or drops in the near future. Just get a good bike, spend as much as you can and go ride. HAVE FUN!

mtbr member

Probably can't go wrong with any of you choices...

I've taken my hardtail down some slick, rutted downhills, through any number of rockgardens (this is So Cal - the major feature is rocks everywhere. I had a great time at Mammoth going down the easy and intermediate trails all day. As Bobby P said, keep it close to the ground. I'm about your size and feel comfortable with 1-2 foot drops as long as the run-out is pretty mellow. The bikes you listed are a great way to get into it without throwing down a big investment.
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

mtbr member

GT Avalanche has served me well....

You have a few solid choices, nothing wrong with any of them. My first real MTB was a GT Avalanche 2.0 and I still have it. It is now my back up ride when my full suspnsion bike is in need of some repair. But just to make it a little more interesting, why not consider a full suspension bike? After a year you will be going there anyway, you will be frustrated to have all the FS riders flying by you on the downhill. Consider a Schwinn Rocket on sale at Performace Bike for 349.- !!! My wife has bought a Rocket 2 years ago and is still very happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ODB
    mtbr member
    For my money, Iron Horse offers the best value on entry-level MTBs. Performance has some smoking deals right now (several models under $500), but if you're willing to stretch your budget to $650, you can get a full SRAM drivetrain, FSA cranks, Avid disc brakes, WTB tires and what appears to be a halfway decent Marzocchi fork. You wouldn't feel the need to upgrade this thing for a long time. Check it out:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050