Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

A noob, where does mr toads take you?

Hello All,
    I am really new to posting here and saw the activity on "mr toads wild ride" on the other post I am fairly new to mtb. I live at the newer townhomes on mission gorge and Rancho Fanita. If you can believe it, I have lived here seven years, and it's been less than one year that I have been into mtb. I am hooked, and at 45, glad to find something to help get rid of da handles. last week I was going up the trail, you know, at the bottom where those old rusty barrels are; and all the way up I couldn't understand why all the cutting of foliage onto that path, all the way up. It was a fine tool that was used too bc the cuts were clean. It was a "wtf" going on here day. Anyways, I am happy to be in this sport now. I go up that trail five days, or nights a week. OFten times I will ride at night, and back into the garage, with my wife and daughter astonished that I would be on the trails in dark. Someone told me about mr toads, an older gentlemen named "marc" who claims to have actually made these trails. Really, these trails were made by one guy? Ok. He;s a better man than myself.
    I would like to know how to get from where I start, whatever you call that path where the barrels are on the bottom, up to the top, down mr toads or 'grassy knoll' whatever,but I would have no idea how to get home from there, and I am still not in shape enough to get majorly lost without having to call a medivac. Where does mr toads take you? I need it to take me back towards the campsite/lake etc.
    Cheers!

most memberable
    May 2011
    The real Mr Toads is up in the Lake Tahoe area. Did that a couple of times. No other pretender compares. I suggest you do that one (you may need O2) before this so-called "Mr Toads" at MT then come back...you may not.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    The real Mr Toads is in DISNEYLAND. The best re-make in dirt IS IN So. Lake Tahoe (well, TRT SE portion). That trail....I'm glad to have just survived. The dirt version here in SD is AWESOME and crazy fun for FREE riders +. The Mr Toads in MTRP...... a short, rocky descent into Oak Canyon from the Euc Tree on the ridge between Spring & Oak. Directly west of the tree is the Grassy Knoll trail, 50 feet SOUTH of the tree look for the trail going DOWN into Oak (west). Hold on tight as many less skilled riders have been dragging their brakes and creating some interesting "holes" to negotiate on the first 100 yards in. Once in the canyon and heading to Oak, lets the brakes off and enjoy the romp!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think every riding region has a " Mr Toads wild ride" we also have one in Big Bear. Anyways, welcome to the sport and hope you get your question answered.

Certifiably Crazy
    Have you tried riding up Grassy Knoll and coming down Barrels? That's my favorite ride so far, but I like climbing, not descending so much.
    I try to ride Mission Trails at least twice on weekdays. Usually an easy 8 mile loop and done by 7:30 A.M If you ever see a guy on a gray Felt 29er hardtail say hi.

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Hello All,
    I am really new to posting here and saw the activity on "mr toads wild ride" on the other post I am fairly new to mtb. I live at the newer townhomes on mission gorge and Rancho Fanita. If you can believe it, I have lived here seven years, and it's been less than one year that I have been into mtb. I am hooked, and at 45, glad to find something to help get rid of da handles. last week I was going up the trail, you know, at the bottom where those old rusty barrels are; and all the way up I couldn't understand why all the cutting of foliage onto that path, all the way up. It was a fine tool that was used too bc the cuts were clean. It was a "wtf" going on here day. Anyways, I am happy to be in this sport now. I go up that trail five days, or nights a week. OFten times I will ride at night, and back into the garage, with my wife and daughter astonished that I would be on the trails in dark. Someone told me about mr toads, an older gentlemen named "marc" who claims to have actually made these trails. Really, these trails were made by one guy? Ok. He;s a better man than myself.
    I would like to know how to get from where I start, whatever you call that path where the barrels are on the bottom, up to the top, down mr toads or 'grassy knoll' whatever,but I would have no idea how to get home from there, and I am still not in shape enough to get majorly lost without having to call a medivac. Where does mr toads take you? I need it to take me back towards the campsite/lake etc.
    Cheers!
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Carlos how would I get to grassy knolls, from say the campsites?

mtbr member
    When you get to the top of Three/rusty Barrels, there will be eucalyptus trees about 50-100 yds to the southwest. From the trees ride due west on the road around a quarter mile and then make the sharp left on to the single track. That is Grassy Knoll.
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

mtbr member
    Big thing for me is figuring out where to go after grassy knoll and trying to get back to the barrels.. ie, I go past Eucalytis tree, down the knoll -- how would I get back from there? My question to you was more trying to get reverse directions than from the barrels and tree which I know. I don't know what happens after the knoll.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the sport, Mr. mantrain. I think what you need is a tour guide, not written directions. I'll volunteer for the task, but it's gotta wait another week or so until I get my bike back from the shop (second busted frame in 5 yrs, but Haro's replacing it - again - under warranty).

But once you know the trails, there's any number of ways you can put together loops, figure 8's, etc.

But a quick answer to your question - once you find Grassy Knoll and go down it, turn right at the bottom heading north. Stay to the right when the trail forks after about a few hundred yards, then follow that trail (going north-east) and it'll bring you back up to the ridge just north of the top of 3Barrels. That trail is called Iron Tread (but some call it Bracelet).

official eMpTyBRain
    What is the name of the closest major city to where you guys are talking about?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post
    Welcome to the sport, Mr. mantrain. I think what you need is a tour guide, not written directions. I'll volunteer for the task, but it's gotta wait another week or so until I get my bike back from the shop (second busted frame in 5 yrs, but Haro's replacing it - again - under warranty).

But once you know the trails, there's any number of ways you can put together loops, figure 8's, etc.

But a quick answer to your question - once you find Grassy Knoll and go down it, turn right at the bottom heading north. Stay to the right when the trail forks after about a few hundred yards, then follow that trail (going north-east) and it'll bring you back up to the ridge just north of the top of 3Barrels. That trail is called Iron Tread (but some call it Bracelet).
    Will the "real" Mr Toads please stand up!?

Did Robin Hood only have one arrow in his quiver...did Dirty Hairy always have one bullet left when he asked punks if they were lucky...did the Germans give up after they attacked Pearl Harbor?

I think not!

In other words, "Real" riders have more than one stead at their disposal...unless, you are dirt poor and on food stamps.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    What is the name of the closest major city to where you guys are talking about?
    This is sam-itched between San Diego and Santee (sorta).

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    This is sam-itched between San Diego and Santee (sorta).
    Wow, there really is a trail with this name in every major city.

mtbr member
    Funny how a good name like that gets used over and over again.

Like Cardiac Hill. I know of two trails with that name just in San Diego County, but I bet there are a bunch of 'em all over. One of them climbs out of Sycamore Canyon... oops, I think there are 2 or 3 different Sycamore Canyons just in SoCal...

mtbr member
    thanks
    Last edited by mantrain; 05-23-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Certifiably Crazy
    I start from Mast. This is my route.
    G'Knoll by carloswithac at Garmin Connect - Details
    I can show you sometime next week if you'd like.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Wow, Garmin does a much better job at display than my Timex Cycle trainer. Same info, but just better to look at. plus I have to pay like extra to get all the date. I would like to try and figure out a way to show you my route too but I think Timex is behind the times on this. anyways your route makes sense, after I turned it on terrain. Looks like yo go up rusty barrels, down the knoll via the tree and just down and around. I just need to make sure I catch the trail back to where your go east.
    You are quite a bit faster than me so I will pass on you showing me. too embarrassing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How many Sycamore Canyons are there in So. Cal?, I could name off 3, San Diego( the one in this discussion), Riverside and Santa Monica mountains.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Wow, there really is a trail with this name in every major city.
    Don't get me started on trail junctions with the name, "4 Corners."
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Certifiably Crazy
    I go up Grassy Knoll first then down Barrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    Wow, Garmin does a much better job at display than my Timex Cycle trainer. Same info, but just better to look at. plus I have to pay like extra to get all the date. I would like to try and figure out a way to show you my route too but I think Timex is behind the times on this. anyways your route makes sense, after I turned it on terrain. Looks like yo go up rusty barrels, down the knoll via the tree and just down and around. I just need to make sure I catch the trail back to where your go east.
    You are quite a bit faster than me so I will pass on you showing me. too embarrassing.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    How many Sycamore Canyons are there in So. Cal?, I could name off 3, San Diego( the one in this discussion), Riverside and Santa Monica mountains.
    Everything south of the Orange Curtain are pretenders, wannabees, usurpers!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Technically, the one in the Sta Monica Mtns is "Big Sycamore Canyon".

mtbr member
    I did it today. When dowm the grassy knoll from the Tree; under the 52, up and over a couple a small but steep hills, and back into the lake area and back home -- a 9.5 mile ride from where I live. what a gorgeous ride

mtbr member
    p.s, I don' know how many grassy knolls there are but this one is a beaut! won't find this kinda beauty in LA County.

mtbr member
    For a little more of a challenge, go left/east before you go under the 52 and take Dear Dancer up and over, back to Spring Canyon. Skips that hike a bike section and its all single track...........very single track!
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast