mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Noob with some questions!

Since this is my first post I will start off by introducing myself. My name is Shane and I live in S.D., I'm new to MB's but I used to ride/race BMX when I was a kid.

About 2 months ago I bought an 08 GF Tassajara disc and have been hooked since. I try to ride at least twice a week but with my schedule its tough. I have ridden many times in Mission Trails and once in Sycamore canyon which basically sums up my experience.

Now on with the questions-
    I am getting bored of the scenery with the local San Diego trails and would like to hit up some better single track with more trees, where is a good place for this within an hours drive from San Diego?

I have read alot about Noble and was wondering how good of a rider you need to be to take on that challenge? Also, if there are some trails similar to Noble but not as long that simulates the same difficulty that would help. I realize I am still a beginner and I know my limitations so if Noble is out of the question that is fine for now, I can work up to it!

Last question, does anyone know of any pump tracks in socal? I saw some videos and that looks like a kickass time!

On another note, if there is anyone that needs a ride partner during the week for the local trails in San Diego I am free in the mornings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Check out Mtn Bike Bill's web site, http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

I used to live down that way. Coastal San Diego is a little short on trees, other than in canyons. You are going to have to drive a bit to get to forested areas.

mtbr member
    Noble has some difficult sections, but as long as hiking some sections isnt a huge deal its an increadible ride. You get a little taste of every style of socal riding there is. Tree lined single track, stream crossings, techy rock gardens, and sandy fast dessertish downhills.
    Ask around about Marthas Vinyard and some east county shops.

CEB
    No horse'n round

Martha's GROVE

Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro
    Noble has some difficult sections, but as long as hiking some sections isnt a huge deal its an increadible ride. You get a little taste of every style of socal riding there is. Tree lined single track, stream crossings, techy rock gardens, and sandy fast dessertish downhills.
    Ask around about Marthas Vinyard and some east county shops.

The Grove is a VERY SMALL section of a larger network for trails that run from Santee to Poway thru Sycamore Canyon. Sycamore can be accessed 3 ways. Off Hwy 67, thru Poway from the north, and the way I ride, from Santee. A very popular place for all types of riders and skills except true DH maniacs, just not much of that there.

Don't horse around near the horses in Sycamore!

Chip

mtbr member
    Check out socaltrailriders.org for some group rides. Sycamore is one of my fave local rides if you only done it ones chances are you might missed the fun parts, Los Penasquitos preserve also offers lots choices but you have to wait until it dries.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been on MTB bill's site numerous times, excellent resource! What brought up the question about my ability to ride Noble was Bill's emphasis on being at least an intermediate rider before attempting it. However, I'm in no hurry to hurt myself and am not afraid to hike down tough sections if I lack the confidence. The next chance I get I will go for it, cant wait!

On my visit to sycamore I only rode through Martha's grove then checked out the ranger station and headed back to the poway entrance where I started. It was indeed a short ride but that was all I could pull off that day for lack of time. I'm sure there is much more exploring to be done in sycamore. I will try the Santee entrance next.

I will definately check out socaltrailriders.org for some rides. My friend who originally got me hooked on riding has been too busy with school to go so I'm solo for now.

I have trying to locate a pump track in socal but it appears there arent any. Anyone know of one in someones backyard, I'll bring the beer and a shovel!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Beginners are fine on Noble as long as they know their limits and walk sections when they have to. If you are not shuttling remember it does require 2500' of climbing.

More beginner/intermediate friendly trails up there would be Big Laguna trail and Cuyamaca grand loop both these are featured on Mtn bike Bill's site and are very fun trails.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    I woud also make sure you have explored all the spots you frequent. Sometimes a new route or some extra miles can really make a difference. Lots of fun stuff a Sycamore Canyon, Los Pensquitos and Mission Trails. Nobel is a blast I shuttle my first time out and had to hike a few sections but still had a good time. Going to earn it next time and do the climb sometime after the new year.

Like Bajamtnbkr mentioned check out socaltrailriders.org they have rides in SD going on pretty regular. If you don't see anything new, try a night ride at a trail you know well. I hear it takes the experience to a new level. I don't have lights so I don't know, but I have been stuck after dark and that was crazy enough. They also have rides in the OC, LA and Riverside posted if your looking to go out of town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My next ride will probably be at the south end of sycamore to do some exploring. I havent tried night riding yet but it sounds fun!

Does anyone know of a pump track in socal? Or how hard would it be to convince mission trails to let us build one next to deerfield? I dont know anything about how to deal with the parks, I would assume contacting someone from sdmba would be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Doubt you'll find a public pump track anywhere.

As for Noble... don't go alone. Preferrably go with someone that is familiar with the area. I'd *highly* suggest riding and feeling somewhat comfortable with San Juan before doing Noble. Some may disagree (it does have way more switchbacks and less variable terrain, but is somewhat indicative of technical ability), but Noble IMO is way more technical overall than San Juan. So, if you can ride SJ and feel good, then maybe attempt Noble.

I do about a 34mi ride out there with 4500ft of climbing, and it's one of my fave's. I ride or attempt basically everything except the Waterfall climb on Indian Creek. But, as a somewhat new rider to the area, I wouldn't want to be out wandering on lower Noble close to dark. There are a lot of spots where someone that isn't comfortable on rocks with exposure would have to walk, and it might take some time to get through the trail.