mtbr member
    Jan 2010

... and if we just ... Noob into Freeride Mt biking

Sup guys?

Ive been an athlete my entire life. But Im about to jump into freeride/xc/DH mt biking. I think Im going to buy a 2009 gt chucker 2.0 What are your opinions on this bike?

thanks,

mtbr member
    The chucker is simply not the bike for freeride/xc/especially downhill.Do some research before making a purchase.The chucker is a urban/dirt jump bike,sure you can ride it anywhere you want,just sayin.If you want a do it all bike,you should look into possibly investing in a all mountain(AM) bike like my Santa Cruz Nomad.With over 6 inches of travel it can bomb pretty well down hill yet light enough with great climbing abilitys to do some serious xc stuff.Good luck,plenty of info on this forum!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was in the same position as you are now four years ago. I was looking for a bike to do it all. You definitely want to do some serious research. There are so many choices out there. Knolly, Trek, Kona, Foes, Santa Cruz to name a few. The problem will be finding a bike that is good for all three. An all mountain bike will climb well and descend well but it won't be much of a freeride bike or downhill bike. You can expect the opposite from the DH/freeride bikes. You may want to really consider what kind of riding you will do most and lean towards that direction. I ended up with a Kona Stinky Deluxe. I spend most of my time freeriding and downhilling but I still like to be able to pedal up if I choose. It's definitely a heavy bike and isn't the greatest for going up hill but I get a good work out. I agree that the Nomad is a good choice for all mountain. You may want to check out the Specialized Enduro or the Trek Remedy as these are good all mountain bikes as well. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The avalanche is a blast, I've pushed it to the limit. But Im hindered by the shape of the bike. I miss my bmx days where I could jump & slide out over everything. I dont mind having to pump hard up the hills, because I know once I get to the top Im going to have more freedom. The hills in san diego arent that steep anyways.

I dont have time to wait around for a nice used bike to pop up, so I am going to buy a new one. The most I can pay is about $700......

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    My advice to you would be to:

1-decide what you really want to ride the majority of the time..... park, singletrack,dh, freeride, etc. and how much climbing might be involve. these days there are many different bikes for many different pusposes... but most have a little overlap. for example. I ride a 37 lb 7" travel freeride whip with a front derailler and travel adjust fork for climbing. It is equally at home in a slopestyle park, on a 4000' palm desert singletrack, or on B.C. downhill trail. Do all rig with a frame focus on freeride, and a build focus on all-mtn. make sense?

then

2-spend a lil time shopping your LOCAL used market..the mtbr classified are great, so is criagslist. in this shitty economy you are likely to find a lightly used $2000 bike for your budget. going for a 1 or 2 old bike will allow you to get better components and something you won't grow out of immediately after your realize how rad mtn biking can be.

good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The kind of riding I plan on doing is mainly cross country/dh but I wanna be able to launch if I need to.

I've been doin my research, and honestly I think Im going to get the chucker. Performance bikes has the 2.0 for a good deal. So I put it on layaway, goin with my gut instinct. I can build it up if I need to. I would buy the 1.0 but I dont quite have a thousand bucks.

Probably end up buying another bike within a year or so.... Once I learn the mt bike language a little better.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy_Pedals
    I dont have time to wait around for a nice used bike to pop up, so I am going to buy a new one. The most I can pay is about $700......
    Uh, there's no waiting involved. There are sh*t tons of good condition, cheap, good used bikes on craigslist and pinkbike all the time. Spend an hour looking through the classifieds, Unless youre getting a new bike on sale, or some hookup deal, a used bike is always a smarter buy, especially for a beginner.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy_Pedals
    The kind of riding I plan on doing is mainly cross country/dh but I wanna be able to launch if I need to.
    That has to be the strangest sentence ever. "Ya I plan on mainly doing all aspects of riding". You realize that DH and XC are pretty much polar opposites in terms of bke design/construction. You clearly want a do-all 6inch bike. There are like 50 million threads on this and about 20-30 bikes that fit the bill pretty close to your budget. Put forth a tiny bit of effort doing research (most has been complied for you already) and you'll be much happier.

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Uh, there's no waiting involved. There are sh*t tons of good condition, cheap, good used bikes on craigslist and pinkbike all the time. Spend an hour looking through the classifieds, Unless youre getting a new bike on sale, or some hookup deal, a used bike is always a smarter buy, especially for a beginner.
    really, really

REALLY!

shred
    Feb 2008
    check out fezzari bikes if you want a deal but your not getting a real all mtn bike for under a grand or look into an older bike on pinkbike i think the banshee scratch would fit the description, have fun riding xc lol

Glad to Be Alive
    a great all around bike is a Kona Stinky....buy a used stinky for 500 to 800 ....ride it for 6 to 12 months and then see what you want
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks 4 the advice. Im gonna wait to buy a used Kona stinky.
    Shred till yer dead