Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Noble (vs SART kindof)

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  EBasil 
#1 ·
OK here is the situation. Two separate groups doing to separates rides on the same day. I haven't done either ride before.

My usual riding group over on outdoorsclub.org is planning to ride the SART trail on 5/5. That same day, a group from socaltrailriders.org is riding Noble. As I said, I've never done either of these rides and have heard good things about both. So here is the basic question, with all the information online regarding Noble how difficult is route finding? If I head out there with my normal riding group later in the summer will we have any problems? Or should I take this opportunity to ride Noble with a knowledgeable group so I can lead the way (from the back of the pack ) next time?

SART sounds like a lot of fun and I'd hate to miss the ride but I know I won't be disappointed by doing NOble. My guess is that both of these rides are popular enough where someone will be doing them every weekend and I know this isn't my last opportunity for either. Any thoughts?

G
#3 ·
there are enough things on Noble that you will miss if you aren't riding with the right group that it would make it worth it IMO to go to Noble.

I will be co-leading the Noble group and we should have a bunch of fun.

Noble is more technical than SART. you will get more miles out of Noble. Noble will be a longer day at a relatively slow pace with higher temps. Noble is more epic.

choice is yours. :)

#6 ·
BTW, mauric - it's Mech and I that posted the STR ride. We are doing it both this Saturday and next. Depending on weather during the summer we'll probably get out there, but may not do the entire "Tour" route.

I'd offer to take pics to make it an official route on GeoLadders, but it's going to be a long day anyway, and it's tough to get all of the way points!

If you want to do a shorter version it's easy to navigate just following directions on geoladders from other routes, or even following http://www.mountainbikebill.com 's directions for the trail.

But, you're right. Both trails are pretty popular and usually you can find *someone* that will ride within a week or so of whenever you're interested.

#7 ·
mechmann_mtb said:
Noble is more technical than SART. you will get more miles out of Noble. Noble will be a longer day at a relatively slow pace with higher temps. Noble is more epic.

choice is yours. :)
actually, we are riding the wild, woolley, and rarely ridden upper SART too, so tech is pretty high, and miles are high too.

but i'm certain that both will be great fun.

#9 ·
mechmann_mtb said:
how far past the campground does SART go? i was under the impression that it stopped at the 7 oaks rd. intersection.
Do you mean Glass Road? Glass road is the paved road that leads down to 7 oaks campground.

If soo.....you're missing the best of the area. IMO the best of the SART is the section behind the Angeles Oaks General Store. That section....and the section immediately after the trail crosses middle control are incredible.

In terms of mileage.....my usual route up there is in the high 40's......I think it's around 47.

Yeah....you might say I'm a little obsessed with SART. Have been for years.

It's when you link up the backside of Snow Summit that things start to get long and interesting:)

B

Attachments

#10 ·
BJ - This weekend I'm doing the 24hour race in idyllwild with biotruth. And after my 40mi's this weekend I may not want to ride again on cinco de mayo.

bioman - Don't forget my sunglasses!!!! Thanks.

I was pretty sure that the posters on SoCalTrailRiders were also over on mtbr.com Thanks for the heads up and additional advice. I'm looking forward to meeting some other mountain bikers and exploring some areas that my usual group doesn't ride.

maurice

G
#11 ·
donkey,

we gotta do that ride with you some time man. i have ridden some of SART, but what we rode couldn't add up to 40 mi. i am pretty sure it might get up to 30...

we should set something up on the STR ride calendar!

#12 ·
mechmann_mtb said:
donkey,

we gotta do that ride with you some time man. i have ridden some of SART, but what we rode couldn't add up to 40 mi. i am pretty sure it might get up to 30...

we should set something up on the STR ride calendar!
Absolutely, I'd be up for showing a *few* people around up there:)

B

#13 ·
donkey said:
Do you mean Glass Road? Glass road is the paved road that leads down to 7 oaks campground.

If soo.....you're missing the best of the area. IMO the best of the SART is the section behind the Angeles Oaks General Store. That section....and the section immediately after the trail crosses middle control are incredible.

In terms of mileage.....my usual route up there is in the high 40's......I think it's around 47.

Yeah....you might say I'm a little obsessed with SART. Have been for years.

It's when you link up the backside of Snow Summit that things start to get long and interesting:)

B
Back side of summit do you mean Radford rd. ? thats a good climb:thumbsup: then come down Clarks
Have you ever done the S.A.R.T. section that comes of of Morton peak and takes you down to upper fault line? I don't like to talk about the"single track" (S.A.R.T.) to much. I love this peace of Earth." Keep it secret, keep it safe":D

www.veezeprice.blogspot.com

#14 ·
vzman said:
Back side of summit do you mean Radford rd. ? thats a good climb:thumbsup: then come down Clarks
Have you ever done the S.A.R.T. section that comes of of Morton peak and takes you down to upper fault line? I don't like to talk about the"single track" (S.A.R.T.) to much. I love this peace of Earth." Keep it secret, keep it safe":D

www.veezeprice.blogspot.com
Yeah.....Radford is an awesome climb. I usually go up Clark's though....that way I can hit all of the SART back to middle control and then head up the backside without backtracking at all.

Here's what I want to see happen.......a work crew opening up Siberia Creek trail all the way down into the Santa Ana River bed from the Lodgepine Pole. I can think of some enormous loops that would be absoutely awesome.

B

#15 ·
donkey said:
Here's what I want to see happen.......a work crew opening up Siberia Creek trail all the way down into the Santa Ana River bed from the Lodgepine Pole. I can think of some enormous loops that would be absoutely awesome.
I would be more than willing to help. Siberia Creek is one the the best trails in So-Cal, even as a out and back. I have GPSed the top section to the bush. I need to come up from the bottom to see how much brush needs to be removed.

Here are some pics from Champion Lodge Pole Pine, to about 1 mile below Gunsight were the brush gets to thick. Picture of the brush was May 06. The brush was so thick that I could not tell which way the trail went. Wonder how long it has been overgrown?

I do not know what kind of MTBing community Big Bear has, but it is a total shame that this trail has been lost....lets get it back!

Dean

Attachments

#16 ·
Those are some great shots, and I agree with you about that trail. It's been one of my favorites for years. I know people that have been all the way down it, but I think that scrub you shot a photo of may be the same Manzanita I've never been past, too. At some point, the trail just disappears, although lower portions are still visible from the air/satellite.

The thing is, one of the reasons that trail is so sweet is that it's lightly traveled, both by bikes and hikers. In years where the usage has been up, conditions degrade quickly and stay that way for more than a season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.