mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Noble Canyon Saturday 3/31

Anyone interested in riding? We've got a small group going so far. Plan is to meet between 8-8:30 and head out up the trail. Small portion on the road, continue up Indian Creek and Noble, maybe do a loop around BLT, then descend back down.

30 miles, over 5000ft of climbing.

Phil from San Diego
    I'd like to join you guys and gals.. but climbing just isn't my strength and I'm definately still out of shape from the "winter".

So.. if there will be other intermediate/out of shape riders, I'm there! =p But if you guys are all advanced riders who climb like mountain goats... then I don't want to slow you guys down... and I'll probably go on my own.

If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. =) Either way, I'll probably see you guys on the trail.

Phil.

mechmann_mtb
    Prexus2005...

if you can handle the 30 mile ride, chances are you aren't all that slow. we won't be going out setting a blistering pace on the climbs, and if the faster climbers want to they can do intervals (i do this sometimes and would be glad to do intervals with someone if they want). we are going out there to enjoy the day. so long as you are prepared to do a nice long ride, you are welcome to go.

also.... we start off the ride with a nice technical rocky section but if you like you can ride up the pavement.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    I'd like to join you guys and gals.. but climbing just isn't my strength and I'm definately still out of shape from the "winter".

So.. if there will be other intermediate/out of shape riders, I'm there! =p But if you guys are all advanced riders who climb like mountain goats... then I don't want to slow you guys down... and I'll probably go on my own.

If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. =) Either way, I'll probably see you guys on the trail.

Phil.
    I hear you- I'm out shape from sitting behind a desk 60 hours a week though! I'll be doing the much frowned upon "shuttle" on Sunday if your interested (I'm training for a half marathon 4 days a week- give me a break).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    I hear you- I'm out shape from sitting behind a desk 60 hours a week though! I'll be doing the much frowned upon "shuttle" on Sunday if your interested (I'm training for a half marathon 4 days a week- give me a break).
    Make it 5 and cross-train!!

mtbr member
    Hey, i'd love to do this also, how long is this ride in hours? I would have to be back in Temecula by 1:00, so is there any bail out areas that would shorten the ride if I had to split or I got burned out? I am also a slow and out of shape climber so Prexus2005 wouldn't be the only one slow dude there. also how long does it take to get there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_lizard
    Hey, i'd love to do this also, how long is this ride in hours? I would have to be back in Temecula by 1:00, so is there any bail out areas that would shorten the ride if I had to split or I got burned out? I am also a slow and out of shape climber so Prexus2005 wouldn't be the only one slow dude there. also how long does it take to get there.
    The route we're doing we'll definitely still be riding at 1 pm. It takes between 1.5-2 hours to get there, I think, depending on how fast you drive and traffic.

A quicker way to do it is just to ride up the pavement, and even if you want to skip out on the Indian Creek singletrack, you can continue up the pavement past the oak tree and then just turn off to the right onto Noble.

mechmann_mtb
    you can bail out if you like. if you were going to bail out, i would suggest going up the lower portion of the trail with us (extra credit & whore), then climb alp du wheez with us to the tree (where we will take a break). from the tree we will be heading down the fire road to pick up Indian Creek, but if you are time constrained and there is more than one of you to ride together(i wouldn't want a lone rider going down and getting hurt on my conscience), then you could continue up the paved road and pick up noble canyon where it crosses the road (where most shuttlers start their descent). this route would be less climbing and many fewer miles and could be done pretty quickly (although i don't think you will be back in Temecula by one o'clock, but it is possible if you keep a pretty brisk pace)

mtbr member
    Well, looks like I'll have to pass on this one due to time. But if you ever do any other rides on Sunday or during the week(evening) like at Santa Rosa, PM me or post 'em. I would like to try to get out during the week for a ride. Anyways have a good ride
    Anyone up for Daley Ranch Saturday Morning?

Ya, right.
    I would like to join you guys, since I have never climbed it and would like to know the route for that. I too am a bit worried about the pace. I hate to be a loner in a group of new people and then end up being a big boat anchor to the rest of the group on top of that. I know you guys race (I'm PacMan on STR) and probably go at a quicker pace and don't want to slow you down. I know I can do the ride, like I said, I just don't know if I can hang with a quick pace.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    I would like to join you guys, since I have never climbed it and would like to know the route for that. I too am a bit worried about the pace. I hate to be a loner in a group of new people and then end up being a big boat anchor to the rest of the group on top of that. I know you guys race (I'm PacMan on STR) and probably go at a quicker pace and don't want to slow you down. I know I can do the ride, like I said, I just don't know if I can hang with a quick pace.
    Pace shouldn't be too big of an issue, as long as you can handle the distance and climbing. If you can keep up with a chick on a 34lbs bike climbing in granny gear you'll probably be fine

FWIW, I know all you beeshes say you're slow but you're probably all faster than I am!!

I've only XC raced twice! On a rigid singlespeed! All that means my head isn't on quite straight, not that I'm fast

If anyone is interested, the last time Justin and I did this route was last Memorial weekend. My avg speed was 6.1 and I had just under 5 hours of ride time. I've improved a bit in climbing and descending since then. It was a long day because we took a good amount of breaks, and had two flats on the upper portion of Noble. The last time we rode a portion of this (15~ miles with around 4k ft of climbing) avg speed was 6.1 (hmm, noticing a pattern) and it took about 2.5 hours of RIDE time.

I'm still expecting this to be a most of the day ride, just so we can all enjoy it. I want to take a good amount of photos and ensure that anyone that wants to try out stuff can do it. We aren't going out to hammer, just want to keep a decent pace. Me and my camera will most likely hang back for photos, or take off ahead and make all of the fast beeshes wait so I can get shots of everyone going by.

If you can do a 30 mile ride with over 5000ft of climbing, most likely you aren't that slow!

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    If you can do a 30 mile ride with over 5000ft of climbing, most likely you aren't that slow!
    That's the other thing. I've never ridden that far with that much climbing. I'm 99% sure I could do it now that I've gotten my weight down, but I've never put the distance and climbing together. I've done 36 miles with 2,000' and 3,000' over 18 miles, but never 30+ miles and 5,000'+.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    ....a 30 mile ride with over 5000ft of climbing...
    ummm, check please....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    ummm, check please....
    Oh come on! I'll be doing all that on the same bike I raced DH with last weekend.

As long as there aren't any walls I have to pedal by I think I'll be okay.

I'll just have to remind myself that I'm "training". Not sure what for. Unless it's as gorgeous out as it was last May. It was just a-MAY-zing -

mtbr member
    May 2006
    just out of curiosity, where is everyone departing from??

i'm thinking about joining you guys, but am in the same boat as Prexus and DHDuke. it would be my first time at Noble, and 30 miles is a bit daunting.

i guess if anyone is looking for another first timer to maybe bail early if the ride becomes too much, i'd be your man

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix
    just out of curiosity, where is everyone departing from??

i'm thinking about joining you guys, but am in the same boat as Prexus and DHDuke. it would be my first time at Noble, and 30 miles is a bit daunting.

i guess if anyone is looking for another first timer to maybe bail early if the ride becomes too much, i'd be your man
    We're heading out from the lower trailhead in Pine Valley. We are planning on riding up the trail, not the pavement.

If another group decides to ride up the pavement, that's cool too!

ss poser
    nice pics, A!

we'd love to go, but are headed up to arrowhead tomorrow. maybe we can tag along for one of your rides soon. let us know when you're out this way again!

did you get your frame fixed/replaced?
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

mechmann_mtb
    don't be intimidated because we raced beginner class at Fontucky!

we are just out there to have fun. there will be lots of breaks and jabbering. the only time i usually turn up the pace is on the descents (i am not always the fastest on the way down either, especially on the HT), and i always stop every so often to re-group. i will be making multiple attempts at The Waterfall, and anyone in the group is totally welcome to redo any technical sections they like. Allison loves to take pictures and the rest of the group usually does some cheering/heckling.

we will be pedalling from the lower trailhead/parking lot at probably 8:15 am. most of us will be heading up Xtra Credit because it is WORTH IT! we will regroup at the top of Alp du Wheez (at the big oak tree) and relax a bit. there are several bail outs that can be taken from here, but it would be nice to not have lone guys bailing at different locations, although to be completely honest we will be running sweep back down the trail later. if you print out the mtbbill or the geoladders directions you should be able to navigate the bailouts, all the trails are pretty well traveled.

hope to see everyone in the morning!!! (post here if we should expect you so that we aren't waiting till 8:30 for a no-show)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    nice pics, A!

we'd love to go, but are headed up to arrowhead tomorrow. maybe we can tag along for one of your rides soon. let us know when you're out this way again!

did you get your frame fixed/replaced?
    Have fun up there! We're working it out! I'm riding the Enduro tomorrow!

Phil from San Diego
    Looks like I won't be making it. =/ so don't wait for me.

Think I'm comming down with a cold from my nightride couple days ago. blah.

I'll catch up with you guys in a couple months when I get in better shape! =)

Have a great ride and post pics when you get back.

Phil.

Ya, right.
    I would really like to make this ride, but am not sure I can pull the 0815 start time (I'm coming from Hemet). If I'm there, I'm there. Don't wait for me if I'm not.

Just wondering what kind of vehicle you'll be in so I know who to look for?