mtbr member

Noble Canyon from a New Perspective

I had never ridden Noble and wanted to hike it before riding it. Frankly, it's reputation preceded itself. We set out Saturday at 8:30 to hike from the very top to the very bottom. Primarily, I wanted to see the trail, and second, I wanted to see how a couple of hikers were treated by the mountain bikers (with our bad reputations). All in all, things were good. Near the top, we were passed by some guys going down, all were pleasant and thanked us for moving off of the shared use trail. A little later, we were passed by some guys going up, also very nice and pleasent. Then it happened, about halfway through our hike, we were almost run down by a biker. He came up on us fast with no other warning than the hum of his tires. My brother and I heard no bell, no whistle and no holler. I feel that I would have been hit had I not jumped off the trail when I did. The kicker was the arrogance of the mountain biker. He said, "That's Ok" as he passed. What do you mean, "That's Ok"?!??!? It's Ok that I jumped out of his way, Ok that I was using the trail? I don't get it! What he should have said was..Thanks..or sorry.. My other rant was bikers cutting corners. If you can't ride it, walk it. If you can't walk it, you shouldn't be there. Cutting the corner to save yourself 2 seconds at the bottom damages the trails and is unacceptable. There is more than enough width to the trails as is. We stand to lose a lot if we, as a group, don't wise up and start acting better. We'll lose respect with other trail users, and more importantly, we will lose trail access. Oh, and I can't wait to get back with my bike!
    Last edited by JerBear; 11-14-2004 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Did you report the description of the misbehaving cyclist to the lanky, disheveled guy with a red Huffy leaned up against the toll booth? He'll revoke that person's trail pass.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JerBear
    I had never ridden Noble and wanted to hike it before riding it. Frankly, it's reputation preceded itself. We set out Saturday at 8:30 to hike from the very top to the very bottom. Primarily, I wanted to see the trail, and second, I wanted to see how a couple of hikers were treated by the mountain bikers (with our bad reputations). All in all, things were good. Near the top, we were passed by some guys going down, all were pleasant and thanked us for moving off of the shared use trail. A little later, we were passed by some guys going up, also very nice and pleasent. Then it happened, about halfway through our hike, we were almost run down by a biker. He came up on us fast with no other warning than the hum of his tires. My brother and I heard no bell, no whistle and no holler. I feel that I would have been hit had I not jumped off the trail when I did. The kicker was the arrogance of the mountain biker. He said, "That's Ok" as he passed. What do you mean, "That's Ok"?!??!? It's Ok that I jumped out of his way, Ok that I was using the trail? I don't get it! What he should have said was..Thanks..or sorry.. My other rant was bikers cutting corners. If you can't ride it, walk it. If you can't walk it, you shouldn't be there. Cutting the corner to save yourself 2 seconds at the bottom damages the trails and is unacceptable. There is more than enough width to the trails as is. We stand to lose a lot if we, as a group, don't wise up and start acting better. We'll lose respect with other trail users, and more importantly, we will lose trail access. Oh, and I can't wait to get back with my bike!

Was this offensive perp riding a silver Gary Fisher Cake? This knucklehead has been terrorizing the fine locals out at Noble Canyon for a long time. Your description of his comments sounds close to the unintelligible epithets he spews. We're close to finding him.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I hear these types of rants on the board and I have to wonder what the offending biker's view is.

I was riding Elfin Forest this weekend and there were a ton of hikers on the trail. I was always well within my comfort zone and never passed any at anything but a crawl, but I also wicked it up between groups of hikers which generally mean't I was braking pretty hard at times. Most of the hikers heard/saw me and stepped to the side of the trail. Some saw me 30 yards away as I was braking and looked panic even though there was absolutely no issue with me stopping well in advance. The worst was a couple who were talking loud, didn't hear my first biker up and on the 2nd biker up, paniced and stumbled to both sides of the trail with the "dear-in-the-head-lights" look. At that point I was 10ft behind them at THEIR walking pace, i.e. not closing. I smiled and told them I didn't mean to spook them and slowly passed.

Bottomline is people have drastically different comfort zones. If you are on a multi-use trail you need to take care of yourself and not expect the other person to do things within your comfort zone. Or more importantly if you are on a trail, whether riding or hiking, outside your comfort zone be proactive and don't rely on others.

You may be justified in your indignation about the biker that you thought was going to run you down, but that biker may have preceived the situation totally different.

On trails like Noble and San Juan, people need to use common sense. These are the MTB Epic rides of SoCal and are DH oriented. Sure if you go out looking for trouble you're going to find it. For those I say go find a trail where biking isn't allowed. There are sure a lot more of those than the few MTB trails...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rprice
    I hear these types of rants on the board and I have to wonder what the offending biker's view is.

I was riding Elfin Forest this weekend and there were a ton of hikers on the trail. I was always well within my comfort zone and never passed any at anything but a crawl, but I also wicked it up between groups of hikers which generally mean't I was braking pretty hard at times. Most of the hikers heard/saw me and stepped to the side of the trail. Some saw me 30 yards away as I was braking and looked panic even though there was absolutely no issue with me stopping well in advance. The worst was a couple who were talking loud, didn't hear my first biker up and on the 2nd biker up, paniced and stumbled to both sides of the trail with the "dear-in-the-head-lights" look. At that point I was 10ft behind them at THEIR walking pace, i.e. not closing. I smiled and told them I didn't mean to spook them and slowly passed.

Bottomline is people have drastically different comfort zones. If you are on a multi-use trail you need to take care of yourself and not expect the other person to do things within your comfort zone. Or more importantly if you are on a trail, whether riding or hiking, outside your comfort zone be proactive and don't rely on others.

You may be justified in your indignation about the biker that you thought was going to run you down, but that biker may have preceived the situation totally different.

On trails like Noble and San Juan, people need to use common sense. These are the MTB Epic rides of SoCal and are DH oriented. Sure if you go out looking for trouble you're going to find it. For those I say go find a trail where biking isn't allowed. There are sure a lot more of those than the few MTB trails...

Certainly, some hikers are unreasonably alarmed at the presence of others, including bikes, and some even dramatically overact it. But this guy posting is a mountainbiker, who rides Noble and probably has a pretty good idea of what's reasonable for a passing cyclist to do. If this hardened veteran is alarmed...it's something to think about.

The worst thing would be for that rider he saw to be thinking the hiker was unreasonably alarmed or to discount the hippy's feelings, er I mean hiker, and keep riding that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Was this offensive perp riding a silver Gary Fisher Cake? This knucklehead has been terrorizing the fine locals out at Noble Canyon for a long time. Your description of his comments sounds close to the unintelligible epithets he spews. We're close to finding him.
    I've heard of THAT dude. Damn him!

This weekend, they'll be smoothing out a section of Noble Canyon that's just not safe, so they'll look for him then. After they're done moving rocks, pouring plaster and trimming bushes, NFS will be renaming "Barney Rubble" to be "Smooth Operator" and "Extra Credit" will now be called "Skate Park". This project is also sponsored by Competitor Magazine and Kryptonics Inline Skate Division.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I've heard of THAT dude. Damn him!

This weekend, they'll be smoothing out a section of Noble Canyon that's just not safe, so they'll look for him then. After they're done moving rocks, pouring plaster and trimming bushes, NFS will be renaming "Barney Rubble" to be "Smooth Operator" and "Extra Credit" will now be called "Skate Park". This project is also sponsored by Competitor Magazine and Kryptonics Inline Skate Division.
    WHAT!!f?! smoothing out a section ... what does that mean? Mayhaps they already did it before I rode it yesterday afternoon - but why do they need to smooth it out? Oooh, I get it, you're kidding, right? moving rocks, pouring plaster and trimming bushes ... all but the latter would be horrible, it's like you said earlier - if you can ride it, ride it, if you can't walk it...but DO NOT MOVE ROCKS OR POUR freaking PLASTER !!!!

anyway ... sorry I'm so excitable

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    WHAT!!f?! smoothing out a section ... what does that mean? Mayhaps they already did it before I rode it yesterday afternoon - but why do they need to smooth it out? Oooh, I get it, you're kidding, right? moving rocks, pouring plaster and trimming bushes ... all but the latter would be great, it's like you said earlier - if you can ride it, ride it, if you can't walk it...but PLEASE MOVE ROCKS OR POUR freaking PLASTER !!!!

anyway ... sorry I'm so excitable
    An organization from the 310 and the 909 got a Permit from the Cleveland National Forest to install safety and aesthetic upgrades to the trail.

I'm just glad I got to ride it before it all changes on Saturday, November 20th at 8:00am. Well, actually, we may go up to bomb it on our longboards on Thanksgiving weekend if the cement is all dry.

Waiting to exhale.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE FHCK!!!! THOSE FHCKING BASTARDS!!! THEY ARE GONNA "SMOOTH" OUT THE TRAIL! what organization?! what are they called. I am going and moving the rocks right back in the same spot as soon as they leave. FHCK 'EM ! ! ! I better not have to work that day!
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ^^eek

anyhow - EBasil - can you get me some more information about this I didn't look too terribly hard, but I don't find a whole lot about the two groups you mention. thanks!

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    ^^eek

anyhow - EBasil - can you get me some more information about this I didn't look too terribly hard, but I don't find a whole lot about the two groups you mention. thanks!
    I heard it's a group of "Total DH'ers" from Orange County and LA, sponsored by an industrial alarm and time-keeping company, but details ARE very hazy.

That, or it's all just a gag and the 909'ers will all be at Aliso on Saturday (to ride).

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I heard it's a group of "Total DH'ers" from Orange County and LA, sponsored by an industrial alarm and time-keeping company, but details ARE very hazy.

That, or it's all just a gag and the 909'ers will all be at Aliso on Saturday (to ride).

EBasil. Yes, please give us more details as they become available!!! JEEEEEZ. OMFG.

EBasil/MIM Minister of Misinfomation.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member

Good job! Ministry of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    EBasil. Yes, please give us more details as they become available!!! JEEEEEZ. OMFG.

EBasil/MIM Minister of Misinfomation.

The new trail names are still killing me.

mtbr member
    I am going to ride Nobel on the 20th. Will that part of the trail be inpassible with those donkeys laying down their plaster?

Just following orders
    Funniest thread I've read in a long time.

Plaster! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAH!

mtbr member
    Went there today. NO PLASTER!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    Went there today. NO PLASTER!
    Que baracho! You got PLASTERED. At least I did today, not at Noble though, more like allday bike maintenance in my garage, and ready for Wiashal trail, Murrieta in the AM.