Negative Rep Points!!!!

Noble Canyon - Comeback

She's really beginning to make a comeback after all of the devastation last fall.

These shots are from the newly reopened portion at the top of Noble.

Photo credits by Rodman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 06-07-2004 at 07:21 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice - can't wait to get out and ride that ride again - it won't be too many years before most of the brush will totally recover; the trees however, are a different matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

dang, i need to see it now

Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    Nice - can't wait to get out and ride that ride again - it won't be too many years before most of the brush will totally recover; the trees however, are a different matter.
    My bike has been down for 2 weeks now and i missed last weeks Noble canyon ride. I guess i will have to solo it as soon as my parts come in.

Just another FOCer
    I rode Noble on Sunday June 6th. First time this year for me. Sad to see the upper section burned, but the smaller plant life is making a nice comeback. A lot of soot and fine dirt on the upper section, makes you think you have a flat. Still an excellent trail.

120 pounds of xc sex!

where is..

where is noble caynon? looks damnn smooth

and fast!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

If you have to ask...

Heh. He said "smooth"

Yeah, Noble is smooth, fast, and a mellow ride. If you have never ridden it, you really should do it soon, before it gets too hot.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Smooth?

Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    where is noble caynon? looks damnn smooth

and fast!
    In sections I suppose. But there's allegely a rock or two in the trail

here's the videos I shot of the trail

and here's one Bill Porter made
    • File Type: jpg 23.JPG (100.1 KB, 217 views)

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Yeah.... And, there's this one hairpin............

120 pounds of xc sex!

hmm..

so where is the trail? I want to know for this weekend, thanks!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    shamelessly ripped from some other site:

Directions: Take Interstate 8 East out of San Diego. Travel east for about 50 miles then exit at Pine Valley. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp and then right at the stop sign in Pine Valley. Go into the gas station and purchase an Adventure Pass ($5). You will need to display the pass on your vehicle. Leave the gas station and head east on the main road (highway 80). Travel about two miles east and you will cross a bridge. Turn right immediately after the bridge. WARNING this is a very sharp turn so slow down. Travel north on this road for about 2-3 miles until you see the Nobel Canyon trailhead Parking lot on the right. Follow the road to the parking area and display your pass. The trail starts here. You can alternately start at the top and ride down as part of a two car shuttle. The shuttle is recommended unless you really like to climb on paved roads. For the shuttle, head back into Pine Valley and follow the main road through town (east) until it deadends at the Sunrise highway. Head north on the Sunrise Highway (left turn) for about 12 miles to the Penny Pines Pullout. Park there (you will need to display the adventure pass that you bought in Pine Valley). The trail starts on the south side of the highway. Enjoy 12 of the best single track miles in California. The trail will return you to the car you left at the bottom.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    shamelessly ripped from some other site:

Directions: Take Interstate 8 East out of San Diego. Travel east for about 50 miles then exit at Pine Valley. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp and then right at the stop sign in Pine Valley. Go into the gas station and purchase an Adventure Pass ($5). You will need to display the pass on your vehicle. Leave the gas station and head east on the main road (highway 80). Travel about two miles east and you will cross a bridge. Turn right immediately after the bridge. WARNING this is a very sharp turn so slow down. Travel north on this road for about 2-3 miles until you see the Nobel Canyon trailhead Parking lot on the right. Follow the road to the parking area and display your pass. The trail starts here. You can alternately start at the top and ride down as part of a two car shuttle. The shuttle is recommended unless you really like to climb on paved roads.

For the shuttle, head back into Pine Valley and follow the main road through town (east) until it deadends at the Sunrise highway. Head north on the Sunrise Highway (left turn) for about 12 miles to the Penny Pines Pullout. Park there (you will need to display the adventure pass that you bought in Pine Valley). The trail starts on the south side of the highway. Enjoy 12 of the best single track miles in California. The trail will return you to the car you left at the bottom.
    If you decide to ride up, there are a few ways to do it, the most direct being to get back on the pavement road you came in on, and ride north/up until the point (at the big oak tree) where going straight puts you on dirt and going right has you climb more on pavement. Go right/up on the macadam and that will take you directly to the top of the trail, but you'l miss about a mile long section between that road and the Penny Pines trailhead. There are a few other ways, too.

If you decide to climb, START EARLY, like 7:15am, because it gets HOT on that macadam road. Even if you're going to shuttle, start early.

Regardless of whether you climb or shuttle, bring more water than you'd ususally use, at least 100oz to just descend. It gets hot as you come down Noble Canyon and a rider without water on that trail is just a disaster waiting to happen. If you need water on top, you can ride the BLT over to the campground for plentiful, free, cold water and bathrooms.

Go to Michael Paul's , Mtn Bike Bills or the Laguna Mtn/s sites on the 'net for maps and descriptions.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Yeah.... And, there's this one hairpin............
    You must be talking about that little bender featured in this Noble Canyon Public Service Announcement?

On another note, the pics of the recovery of the trail look great, would it be cool if I post them on my Noble Canyon page? (Photo credits for Rodman to be given of course)

Bill

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    OMFG!!! That video clip leaves me with a belly ache from laughing, every time. I'm sorry.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    You must be talking about that little bender featured in this Noble Canyon Public Service Announcement?

On another note, the pics of the recovery of the trail look great, would it be cool if I post them on my Noble Canyon page? (Photo credits for Rodman to be given of course)

Bill
    I think he was talking some smack my way since he knows I have yet to successfully clean that piece of trail. But then, there's video proof of you also failing badly so I can't feel so bad! ;-)

YR

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I think he was talking some smack my way since he knows I have yet to successfully clean that piece of trail. But then, there's video proof of you also failing badly so I can't feel so bad! ;-)

YR
    Failure?...Merely a measured step towards success!
    I later made it down the drop, but had to dabb halfway through the turn when I had the front wheel at nearly a 90 angle. I'll clean it next time! (I'm not saying how many tries it will take me next time, but next time it is!)

Bill