mtbr member

Nix Center Opens Saturday, March 17 In Lw

Will there be any new singletrack opening up in Laguna Wilderness? I seem to remember reading in the McNewspaper (OC Post) that there would be some new trails.
    Last edited by Clyde S Dale; 03-16-2007 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Will there be any new singletrack opening up in Laguna Wilderness? I seem to remember reading in the McNewspaper (OC Post) that there would be some new trails.
    There's a new single-track but only part of it will be opened. It connects the new Nix area to the existing Willow parking lot, but the portion to the Willow parking lot will not be opened until a bridge gets installed near the existing parking area.

The park has revised maps printed that will be available at the staging areas.

Biking in the new North section of Laguna Coast will consist of the Stagecoach Springs South Trail, the Camarillo Trail, Stagecoach Springs North Trail, and part of the Serrano Serrano Ridge Trail (which is shared between the Laguna Coast W.P. and the City of Irvine Open Space Preserve.

Right now the Stagecoach Springs North Trail and the Serrano Ridge Trail heading inland will be an out and back ride to the boarder of the Irvine Open Space Preserve Property.

The Little Sycamore Single-Track and the Dilly Preserve are both for hiking only.

Even with the out and back, there is some good mileage added to the park since you now can ride legally under the toll road past where the barbed wire gate used to be.

Grab a map from the park entrance and try the new trails. Just keep your eyes open for the City Of Irvine Open Space Preserve signs that are placed at the border trails and the end of the out and back trails. These areas are still accessed by Scheduled Program, Reservation, or Permit only; and the Irvine P.D. Open Space Preserve Rangers are out there patrolling seven days per week.

I'll be out trying out the new Laguna North Trails tomorrow morning myself.

See ya on the trails.

One note as usual.......as in the other areas......if it's not on the park map, or does not have a sign.....it's not an authorized trail. Let's help Rangers Larry and Barbara have a fun and problem-free grand opening.

Also, take the time to visit the Nix Nature Center. It's a great addition to the County Parks.
    Last edited by JamR; 03-16-2007 at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey JamR, thank you for the reply. Is there anything comparable to Five Oaks, Stair Steps, or Laguna Ridge?

If not It'll still be nice just to get to see new areas on new trails. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Hey JamR, thank you for the reply. Is there anything comparable to Five Oaks, Stair Steps, or Laguna Ridge?

If not It'll still be nice just to get to see new areas on new trails. Thanks again.
    Not that I know of, but I have not been on the Stagecoach Springs South Trail yet, although from talking with Ranger Larry, it's a pretty nice single-track.

mtbr member
    Recap of the trails.

I rode the area for around six hours today and had the chance to try the new Stagecoach Springs South trail (at least the portion that is open from the Nix Center to the Camarillo Trail).

It's not a technical trail, but a very sweet single track that is totally climbable in both directions. Very nice trail work with some swicthbacks, climbing turns, and good rock-work.

There's not a ton of riding in the north section yet, but if you added the north and south together and take advantage of going under the 73 toll road bewteen the LC north and south areas; you can put in some good distance and get in some really good climbs.

A couple of cautions;
    The area that goes under the Laguna Canyon Road (Stagecoach Springs North) is not opened to bikes yet (I believe due to the CalTrans construction still underway), and the Little Sycamore Trail is for hikers only; so there are no loop options available yet.

That being said however, climbing up Camarillo and riding the Serrano Ridge Trail out to the border sign of the City of Irvine Open Space still provides some nice up and down quick rolling.

The best way to take advantage of the area is to hit both the north and south sections.

It will just get better with time when the county gets a bridge in place and can make a nice loop trail from the Stagecoach Springs South Trail. Just be patient, and it will be opened as soon as possible once the bridge and a minor alignment to the parking area is worked out.

All in all though.....definitely more good riding just opened up.

Again, the Stagecoach Springs single track from Camarillo to the Nix Center is worth the trip.

See ya on the trails!

Adam