mtbr member

Nike base/ Viper up in smoke

Fire in Santa Clarita looks like it took out a few good rides.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

members only

Ya, that's a bummer...

Haven't done the Los Pinetos loop since spring.
    'been thinking about it a few weeks, but now....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Fires

Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal
    Haven't done the Los Pinetos loop since spring.
    'been thinking about it a few weeks, but now....
    Anybody know if May canyon/ Wilson canyon up by Olive View Hospital is still open?
    I'm planning to ride there Thursday, but now I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice pics! I just rode the Los Pinetos trail last week (thrusday), it was awesome, hadn't ridden it in about 5-6 years too. How quick before you think they'll let people back up there? I want to do some trail work on Viper...anyone, anyone, um...bueller?

mtbr member
    I was reading on CNN that one of these Socal fires was accidentally started by a bird who stuck a powerline.

I would curious to learn about this scenario. Was it a freak accident where all the wrong things happened or are powerlines generallly prone to such seemingly easy damage?
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member

Bird stike..

i think maybe the torched bird lit the fire when he hit the ground.
    as far as riding up from the Olive View side, the fire looks to be on that side of Nike Base now. In the second pic you can see the towers on the peak, now there is a huge smoke plume behind the towers. scott

mtbr member

just snapped....

out my window. The fire looks like it burned rt to left and stopped at the new fire lines (bare earth). Hope they didnt use Viper as the guidelines!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

May Canyon/Wilson Canyon Loop

I rode up there last night behind Olive View Hospital, it was a great 13+ mile loop!

What si the word on Los Pinetos/Viper?

34N 118W

charcoal

I live just a few miles from Pinetos / Placerita Cyn.. We packed up some stuff and evacuated last Sunday per the Sheriffs and firemen, and returned home late Monday night. I'm planning on riding up to Camp 9 this weekend (paved), then down to Pinetos if I can.

Placerita Cyn. road is toast. About 40% of the visible brush burned down to the street. The lower part of Pinetos seems burned in places but not all. That's about as far east as it went, on the south side of Placerita Cyn. The lower "Nature Center" trail is toast too. Looks like the firefighters saved the Nature Center itself, it's kind of an oasis of green now. The San Fernando Rd. fireroad climb to Viper is also being served up "blackened" now.

And yes, the word is a Red Tail Hawk flew into power lines, caught fire and dropped into dry brush. 6,000 acres later.... crazy.

HW

Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    I rode up there last night behind Olive View Hospital, it was a great 13+ mile loop!

What si the word on Los Pinetos/Viper?

mtbr member

Lemme know...

if its a Sun. morn ride and theres room for another. i've never gone up that way, its got to be better than that beat-up/burned-up dusty fireroad from SanFer. scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Crown fire further east in Acton burned over some great riding including some singletrack west of Aliso Cyn. and some jeep/forest roads along Mt. Emma rd. There was an article in today's Valley Press (our local rag) about the forest service thinking about closing access to all SoCal forests. If any of you guys ride any of those trails mentioned (Viper etc.) please let me know and I'll join you. I need some new places to ride.