Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Night Time Legal Trails in OC?

With the streetlights coming on earlier and earlier - I was wondering if someone could point out some trails in the OC area that are legal to access after dark. I want to try out some night riding.

Over the Hill

Cleveland National Forest

Santiago Truck Trail / Luge. Can get a little busy out there at night.

All the County and State Parks close at sunset.

stay thirsty, my friends
    fullerton?

mtbr member
    i've done fullerton at night before. even though its by the houses it gets kinda creepy. people use the wooded areas for random things at night.

we do a weekly night ride in the claremont area. marshall canyon/claremont wilderness trails. lots of people from the oc ride it every wednesday night around 7 pm.

i've heard they do san juan at night too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anything in the Cleveland National Forest - Black Star, Santiago Truck Trail (already mentioned), San Juan?? I dunno. Just look for trails in the national forest. The State and County parks are illegal at night. But then I haven't been night riding in like seven years, so I'm probably blowing smoke out my bung ho, hehe. I got a ticket once night riding out at Whiting years and years ago. My brother and I were met by a cop and a park ranger at the four corners. At least they let us ride back down on the trails

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    With the streetlights coming on earlier and earlier - I was wondering if someone could point out some trails in the OC area that are legal to access after dark. I want to try out some night riding.
    1. Santiago Truck Trail/Luge (most popular at night)
    2. San Juan (Never been at night, but heard it's great)
    3. Fully Loop (sucks for either day or night riding, but it is open after dark)

Closed at night:
    Whiting
    Aliso & Woods Canyons
    MCM# 2007.1

I've got a Stiffee
    Anyone know of any group night rides on STT/Luge during the week? Or anyone looking for a ride partner once a week out there? Just not interested in riding out there at night solo.

Over the Hill

team basso

What! did my avitar scare you?

I don't remember what night of the week, but it was a week night. They meet at Cook's Corner. The night I rode there were allot of them...steady stream of lights climbing the hill.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Team Basso more info...

Team Basso rides the Luge on Tuesday and Thurday's after daylight savings. Currently their still doing the Tuesday -Aliso and Thursday- Whiting rides.

For more info click on logo , the rides are listed on the right hand side of the main page. enjoy.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Man I need a light

Climbing Sucks.

We have a group meeting at cooks at 7:00 on friday to do luge

Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    Anyone know of any group night rides on STT/Luge during the week? Or anyone looking for a ride partner once a week out there? Just not interested in riding out there at night solo.

We are riding luge 7:00pm friday nights meet at cooks corner I will be in the white 4runner.

CappyKd

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by cappykd
    We are riding luge 7:00pm friday nights meet at cooks corner I will be in the white 4runner.

CappyKd
    Thanks for the invite, however I'd like to do something mid week instead of a Friday night. You ride any other nights besides Friday?

giddy up!
    Tuesday night, 6pm, cooks corner. We usually ride up to old camp, down the luge, then wahoo's for food. Usually a pretty big group, up to 20 on some nights, pretty good pace, lot's of singlespeeders. Come on out if you get a chance.

Brian
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Be about it!
    Man I remember my first and only night ride at Luge earlier this year -- my buddy and I had just got our lights. We caught up to a group of about 12 riders going up Modjeska -- the guys were pretty fast. Anyways I was pushing hard because I'm still fairly new and didn't want to get left behind -- my buddy Craig is really strong rider. So coming down the last stretch of ruts just before going up to the flag (start of luge) I ate ****e big time!!! I was in the middle of the pack so thank goodness I didn't cause anyone to crash, but all the fellaz were real cool and made sure I was aight. I didn't get their names though.

Anyways I'd like to hook up with some riders or groups who's cool and varied in terms of riding skill for some mid-week rides -- my road-dawg Craig isn't always available. I have a family so I usually don't have time afterwards to eat and hang out (although I wish I could) -- so Luge loop from Cook's would be cool.
    Last edited by MoeChedda; 09-22-2004 at 04:33 PM. Reason: cuz I be illiterate sometimes...
    ... You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe? It should be more natural, brotha. It should flow out like this: "Look man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!" See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long ... Axel Foley: Beverly Hills Cop
    -Moe

_
    Mar 2004
    I'm down for this, i just need a good light, preferrably one that doesnt cost a million bucks!

Be about it!

Cygolite Z-Force

Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    I'm down for this, i just need a good light, preferrably one that doesnt cost a million bucks!
    Yoe bdee:

My buddy and I picked up Cygolite Z-Force brand new for $216 including shipping. These are HID and handlebar mount. Bombproof and very bright and focused. 3 hour runtime on single charge and I've had zero complaints.

I'd be down also to run luge at night.

Peace.
    ... You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe? It should be more natural, brotha. It should flow out like this: "Look man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!" See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long ... Axel Foley: Beverly Hills Cop
    -Moe

I've got a Stiffee
    Figure it is time to bump this one back up to the top! I plan on riding Cooks/STT/Luge tomorrow night (Thursday)....probably around 6ish. Anyone else interested?

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Figure it is time to bump this one back up to the top! I plan on riding Cooks/STT/Luge tomorrow night (Thursday)....probably around 6ish. Anyone else interested?
    FX - count me in for a 6PM ride tonight (Thurs 11/4). Look for me in the Cooks Corner parking area. I'll be in a white Toyota Sequoia.
    I plan on taking it fairly easy tonight. Got to adapt to the night riding thing again.
    MCM# 2007.1

I've got a Stiffee
    Sounds good, I'll be at a nice easy pace also since it will be my first night ride out there. I'll be in a silver Civic.

Be about it!
    Sounds good, I'll be at a nice easy pace also since it will be my first night ride out there. I'll be in a silver Civic.

Thanks for the invite Rob -- I plan on being there and my buddy is tenative. If I have to cancel I'll shoot you off an email or call ahead of time. I'm in a white Expedition (old body style).

Peace!
    -Moe

I've got a Stiffee
    Cool, sounds like there will be a lot of people out there since the Team Basso ride is at 6 also.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Cool, sounds like there will be a lot of people out there since the Team Basso ride is at 6 also.
    There was a crew doing trail maintenance on the Luge Sat so it should be in pristine shape for tonight. Looking forward to it.
    MCM# 2007.1

I've got a Stiffee
    Yep, we rode STT/Old Camp/Luge on Sunday and the Luge is in awesome condition right now!

stay thirsty, my friends
    Anybody ever do Turnbull at night?

I've got a Stiffee
    Hey guys, I'm out for tonight unfortunately...family issues. I'll definately be able to ride next week though....sorry.

King Lurker

I'm in for 6:00pm

I ride every Monday and Thursday @6:00pm from Cooks. Look for a Grey Dodge Dokota with a pink Truth. It will be nice to have some company on the ride. Ever since the Mtn. Lion attacks, I feel alittle leary of riding alone.

CYA Krash
    Krash

My name says it all!

ss poser

san juan!!

SJ at night is a blast!! was out there about a month ago on a fri & we didn't run into a single person on the trail. headed up again tomorrow. be sure & charge your lights! my battery died 3 miles from the bottom! finished the ride w/a chem light!

ss poser

luge loop

hey rob,
    my schedule just opened up & i'm ready to start riding on tues/thurs. i can be at cook's by 1800. still need a partner? i'm just about cat food size, so i don't want to ride solo either.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Rob - too bad about tonight. Maybe we'll see you next week?

I'm still going. I hear that there's rain on the way and I gotta get out there before it hits this weekend.

See me tonight...
    MCM# 2007.1

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Rob - too bad about tonight. Maybe we'll see you next week?

I'm still going. I hear that there's rain on the way and I gotta get out there before it hits this weekend.

See me tonight...
    I'll definately be there next week, I'm bummed I couldn't go today

Be about it!

I'm gonna cancel also...

I already emailed you Rob -- again I know that family is always priority -- hope things get better.

But I'd like to get out there next Thursday -- good to know that sometimes I could also catch a Monday night ride at Luge.

San Juan would be super-cool at nght. I've only been on that trail twice during the day and it was a blast -- I can only imagine night riding there. Must've sucked TinkBell when you ran outta juice on your lights 3 miles from the end -- hitting those switchbacks with your backup light must've been crazy.

Since the mountain lion attack I don't ride alone at night except for some street riding -- but you still got the other beast to contend with: crazy drivers.

Feel free to hit me up when you all do night rides or weekend rides -- Thursday nights are best for me for weekday rides -- I usually do a light street ride on Tuesday due to time constraint and then I do a morning ride on one either Sat or Sun.

Peace.
    Last edited by MoeChedda; 11-04-2004 at 04:57 PM. Reason: because i'm ingiant.
    -Moe

ss poser
    yeah, i used my bd headlamp for a bit, but then that batt died! so, out came the chemlight! i had one light left. a measley blue led key chain, gotta hold the button down, light!! my buddy had a crappy 4D batt cateye & he'd never been on san juan OR night ridden before. i don't think he was too thrilled w/me having to lead us out! fortunately i've had some experience riding w/o lights! my old niterider had faulty wiring & used to short out, once the entire ride...

my group is doing san juan, or san juan/viejo tie again sun, if anyone's game...

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    yeah, i used my bd headlamp for a bit, but then that batt died! so, out came the chemlight! i had one light left. a measley blue led key chain, gotta hold the button down, light!! my buddy had a crappy 4D batt cateye & he'd never been on san juan OR night ridden before. i don't think he was too thrilled w/me having to lead us out! fortunately i've had some experience riding w/o lights! my old niterider had faulty wiring & used to short out, once the entire ride...

my group is doing san juan, or san juan/viejo tie again sun, if anyone's game...

What time on Sunday are you guys doing San Juan? I've been wanting to get out there again (only ridden it once). Hopefully we don't get too much rain

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Where do you guys meet for Marshall????

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    we do a weekly night ride in the claremont area. marshall canyon/claremont wilderness trails. lots of people from the oc ride it every wednesday night around 7 pm.
    Where do you guys meet on Wednesday nights? At the school on Emerald or the parking lot by the towers? I love Marshall Canyon. What pace is the ride? Let me know I would love to join you guys.

Tu/Thur I try to hit the Fullerton Loop , usually I do a street ride on the O.C. Riverbed out to Newport then turn right and head west towards Long Beach. That ride is usually 2.5 hrs. I am on a base training mode right now so I ride easy for slow twitch training.

Hit me up if any one wants to join me.

Peace!
    Live to ride...Ride to live....
    The hardtail is not dieing...it's just going underground

ss poser
    What time on Sunday are you guys doing San Juan? I've been wanting to get out there again (only ridden it once). Hopefully we don't get too much rain
    just got this reply now. sorry. no puter at home. turnout was much smaller than planned. 2 bailed cuz of the rain, 1 (+friend) family emer & other group did lower portion to do some trail work sandbagging the ruts- thanks larry!! 3 of us ending up doing a very, very short upper loop- 7 miles. blue jay, down SJ to viejo tie, up chiquito & back up SJ to blue jay. beat the rain, but it looked risky!! sky was pretty dark. finished just after 1100. where the hell's all that promised rain??

I've got a Stiffee
    My bud and I did Holy Jim yesterday, didn't get started till about 11 and it was raining when we got there. Rain let up about a mile into the ride and it didn't rain again the rest of the ride although it sure looked like it was going to. Trails were tacky but not muddy, turned out to be really good riding and nice cool temps. Lots of hikers out there, only a couple other bikers that we saw.

ss poser
    My bud and I did Holy Jim yesterday, didn't get started till about 11 and it was raining when we got there. Rain let up about a mile into the ride and it didn't rain again the rest of the ride although it sure looked like it was going to. Trails were tacky but not muddy, turned out to be really good riding and nice cool temps. Lots of hikers out there, only a couple other bikers that we saw.
    you riding luge tomorrow if it doesn't rain? you ever do old camp or joplain? i'm looking to do a bit more mileage...

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    you riding luge tomorrow if it doesn't rain? you ever do old camp or joplain? i'm looking to do a bit more mileage...
    I'll probably do STT/Luge either Wed or Thursday night. I've done Old Camp several times, but not really looking to do that at night unless we got an early start....just too time consuming. Never done Joplin.

_
    Mar 2004
    I'll probably do STT/Luge either Wed or Thursday night. I've done Old Camp several times, but not really looking to do that at night unless we got an early start....just too time consuming. Never done Joplin.
    YO, lemme borrow a light mang, I'm down to do this at least ONCE.

Holy Jim was pretty nice yesterday, that trail still manages to work me, all that elevation gain/hike-a-bike sections (creek crossings).

Beware of ticks, I dunno how the heck one got on my stomach, but i got home and saw it 1/2 way lodged into me, yuck! I pulled it out, wiped the wound down with Hydrogen Peroxide, then some anti-itch cream, and then some aloe, cause the match kinda burned me.

I've got a Stiffee
    So who all is in for a STT/Luge ride tomorrow (Thurs.) night?

ss poser
    So who all is in for a STT/Luge ride tomorrow (Thurs.) night?
    i'm in. silver saturn vue, blue santa cruz superlight. 1800?

I've got a Stiffee
    6ish sounds good Any more takers?

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    OK, I'm in too. White Sequoia, silver 5 spot... 6PM.
    Make that a black Maxima, still on a 5 spot.
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 11-11-2004 at 07:44 AM.
    MCM# 2007.1

King Lurker

I'm there.

Look for the pink truth.

Ken
    Krash

My name says it all!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Thursday night ride....

If I'm in the area I'll join you guys at 6:00 sharp. Silver Honda CRV/Polished Titus Switchblade. I'll be doing a quick tune up on the bike.

If I'm in LA, I'll ride Beaudry to the bench in Burbank. I'll know where I'm riding by tomorrow morning.

out of control only 25%
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Anybody ever do Turnbull at night?
    hey man. i have never done it, but i live about 3 miles from turnbull so i go there often. i would actually go there anyway. but i have seen numerous people riding up there with lights. you can park on the street there until 10pm so i guess you can stay as late as you want. i see teenagers going up there after dark to smoke out and drink a good bit.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Haha, that's funny about the teenager thing. It's a lot of fun at night. I wouldnt go there alone cause a friend of mine has seen a lion there. Do you wanna meet up sometime and try it at night? You have a light?

here's a pic of the bike before a night ride at turnbull. I usually park on beverly right before beverly hills dr.

edit: might ride Tuesday night. Details here http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...topic.php?t=60
    Last edited by LBguy; 11-28-2004 at 01:36 PM.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

out of control only 25%
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Do you wanna meet up sometime and try it at night? You have a light?

edit: might ride Tuesday night. Details here http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...topic.php?t=60
    Actually, I dont have a light. i have a headlamp but i dont think it would fit on my helmet. ill see. i never plan it but i have been there after sunset everytime i have ridden there for the last month. its never been too bad, but some areas of the trail are hard to see. but sure, im always down for riding. its just that i dont have a light. as broke as i am, i dont think thats gonna change soon. email me if ur up here during the day tho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Sycamore Canyon- Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay

Team Dirty Work, Riverside Bicycle Club's mtb division does night rides, I am never able to make it, but you can find ride times and directions on their website.

www.teamdirtywork.com (i hope its the right addy)

www.riversidebicycleclub.com

mtbr member

luge

how long is the tues or thurs night rides for the luge group rides?

i only do night rides once in a while so i only have a NR trail rat. i think it only has a burn time of about 2 - 2.5 hrs

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast