Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2

    New question here. Night Riding in So Cal

    The days are short, sunlight is gone around 5pm, and I've just gotten my lights...

    Where is it legal to ride at nights?

    So far I've been told Fullerton Loop and Marshall Canyon are night-ride legal.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    101
    There is a lot of night riding that goes on at Bonelli Park. In fact, there are two decent night riding groups that use Bonelli.

    Monday nights: JAX bicycles.

    Wednesday Nights: Mountain Bike Buddies

    Both groups alternate between Marshal and Bonelli Park. I just rode with JAX tonight. You may want to check that out.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    19
    Definitely Fully Loop. We ride it every Tuesday after work. STR does a ride every Thursday night. Also anything in the Cleveland National Forest is legal, Blackstar, STT, etc.)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Boy View Post
    There is a lot of night riding that goes on at Bonelli Park. In fact, there are two decent night riding groups that use Bonelli.

    Monday nights: JAX bicycles.

    Wednesday Nights: Mountain Bike Buddies

    Both groups alternate between Marshal and Bonelli Park. I just rode with JAX tonight. You may want to check that out.
    didn't know about the Monday night ride, good to know.

  5. #5
    Beer Please! Moderator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,527
    We ride the Lake Calavera Preserve(Carlsbad/Oceanside) every Tuesday from 4-6,and I know the local Performance Bike Shop hosts a night ride on Monday's. There are no mentions on the Park use sign about times, so it is legal.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    81
    Calavera is far from legal night or day. Not heavily enforced, but not legal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    We ride the Lake Calavera Preserve(Carlsbad/Oceanside) every Tuesday from 4-6,and I know the local Performance Bike Shop hosts a night ride on Monday's. There are no mentions on the Park use sign about times, so it is legal.

  7. #7
    Beer Please! Moderator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto View Post
    Calavera is far from legal night or day. Not heavily enforced, but not legal.
    How is that? Sure there are some area's that could be considered illegal.... but much of it is Very Legal:

    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    81
    I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder. A half mile of trails is not much in my eyes.
    City of Carlsbad - Calavera Hills Village H

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto View Post
    I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder. A half mile of trails is not much in my eyes.
    City of Carlsbad - Calavera Hills Village H
    go back the to the list and you see Lake Calavara at 6.24 miles

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    81
    My bad, I missed that. Hey everyone Mayor Hall say we have lots of legal trails to ride in Calavera. Just make sure you stay on the pavement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    go back the to the list and you see Lake Calavara at 6.24 miles

  11. #11
    Beer Please! Moderator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto View Post
    My bad, I missed that. Hey everyone Mayor Hall say we have lots of legal trails to ride in Calavera. Just make sure you stay on the pavement.
    I have actually spoken with the Carlsbad Land Management guy who drives that Tacoma around out there before. There are plenty of trails that are not "official" but they also are not illegal..... a very large amount of grey area out there, and as long as there are no big signs and no enforcement we as the public can only assume they are fair game to ride. I have been riding out there for 7 years now and have only seen problems when dirt jumpers go out and build up big jumps and actively create new trails.

    A few years back a big group of Mountain Bikers worked with Fish n Game to improve the water drainage on the trail known to many as "The Spine" Also called "lower Calavera MTN DH", that is not an official trail by any means, but Fish n Game said they are not going to enforce it, and it is a widely used trail by Bikers, Hikers, and Trail runners alike.

    Just don't cut new trails and don't build jumps and Fish n Game will leave it alone, they literally have better things to do, like catch Lobster Poachers and the like who are actually doing harm to the environment.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I have actually spoken with the Carlsbad Land Management guy who drives that Tacoma around out there before. There are plenty of trails that are not "official" but they also are not illegal..... a very large amount of grey area out there, and as long as there are no big signs and no enforcement we as the public can only assume they are fair game to ride. I have been riding out there for 7 years now and have only seen problems when dirt jumpers go out and build up big jumps and actively create new trails.

    A few years back a big group of Mountain Bikers worked with Fish n Game to improve the water drainage on the trail known to many as "The Spine" Also called "lower Calavera MTN DH", that is not an official trail by any means, but Fish n Game said they are not going to enforce it, and it is a widely used trail by Bikers, Hikers, and Trail runners alike.

    Just don't cut new trails and don't build jumps and Fish n Game will leave it alone, they literally have better things to do, like catch Lobster Poachers and the like who are actually doing harm to the environment.
    Oh, but haven't you heard, Klure? MTB's are the #1 Scourge of the environment. We're just rippin' it up on those trails. The horses are complaining, the Sierra Club said so!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  13. #13
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    516
    Funny, last time I was out at Calavera, hiking a month ago, I saw a guy (in his mid 20's) building jumps on a trail just south of the white concrete divider, north of the water tank. I was going to go over to him and pretend to be a dumb hiker and inquire what he was building, but passed. Those trails on the south side all around that water tower area are unofficially legal and more are popping up. All of them ST, too....I'm probably going to have to check them out soon...on my new av8or-inspired fat bike!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,595
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Funny, last time I was out at Calavera, hiking a month ago, I saw a guy (in his mid 20's) building jumps on a trail just south of the white concrete divider, north of the water tank. I was going to go over to him and pretend to be a dumb hiker and inquire what he was building, but passed. Those trails on the south side all around that water tower area are unofficially legal and more are popping up. All of them ST, too....I'm probably going to have to check them out soon...on my new av8or-inspired fat bike!
    I found your fat bike for you, Chief...and yes, she delivers it and helps with the initial setup.
    For the price, I'd say it's a real steal!

    Xtreme Warrior 750 Watt Electric E Buffalo Fat Tire E Bike | eBay
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  15. #15
    Beer Please! Moderator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Oh, but haven't you heard, Klure? MTB's are the #1 Scourge of the environment. We're just rippin' it up on those trails. The horses are complaining, the Sierra Club said so!
    oh jeeze, my Main Office is just upstairs from the San Diego Chapter of the Sierra Club, takes all I have to not throw a rock through the window everyday that I have to walk past it.... lol.

    Speaking of horses, the Trails around the lake specifically prohibit horseback riding, but the trails at the very south end of Calavera that connect to all the Farming fields off Sunny Creek have fresh horse poop on them from time to time. I have never run into a horseback rider over there, I do not think they are very common, but there are out there too.

    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Funny, last time I was out at Calavera, hiking a month ago, I saw a guy (in his mid 20's) building jumps on a trail just south of the white concrete divider, north of the water tank. I was going to go over to him and pretend to be a dumb hiker and inquire what he was building, but passed. Those trails on the south side all around that water tower area are unofficially legal and more are popping up. All of them ST, too....I'm probably going to have to check them out soon...on my new av8or-inspired fat bike!
    That is the exact area I am talking about, those guys have built big jumps and such over the years, and then the Fish n Game brings out a mini-tractor and mows them down... a few months go by and they start building again... I am not sure what is more damaging to the environment, the Jumps or the Tractor belching fumes and noise as it tears em down and replaces them with hug flat patches of loose dirt that can wash away in the next storm....


    and now we are getting a bit off topic are we not?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Similar Threads

  1. Night riding
    By cptjack in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
  2. Riding San Tan at Night
    By hyknbykaz in forum Arizona
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
  3. Night riding?
    By druber in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
  4. New to Night Riding
    By Matty0401 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
  5. why did nobody tell me about night riding?!?
    By sdmtnguy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •