mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Newport Beach/Laguna Beach Trip suggestions

A group of us are coming to Newport Beach for 10 days and would love to hit the trails we ve heard so much about in Laguna Beach. Can anyone tell me where we can get a map on where the good trails are? Local bike shop possibly? We re looking for some climbing and descending rocky/tech type stuff if possible.Beach views would def be a huge plus. Thanks to anyone that can lead us in the right direction. We typically ride tech/rocky trails in Phx at South Mt if you all are familiar with our area at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some shops to hit up are the Path (either location) and the Bike Co. They will be able to get you maps and give you input on trails to hit. From Newport Beach you are relative close proximity to plenty of trails to keep you busy for 10 days. Most of which will be just South of Newport and perhaps a bit inland. Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Newport Beach/Laguna Beach Trip suggestions

Hit up LCWP, Aliso Woods, Santiago Oaks, Whiting Ranch, STT/The Luge and don't forget the world famous Fullerton Loop :-)
    You can find most the maps online.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys. That gives me something to go on. Can't wait to check out what Laguna has to offer.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Bmaster7 from this forum came out to Newport Beach last weekend in I gave him a tour through Aliso Wood Canyon. He lives in Scottsdale and rides Phoenix trail so he could give you guys a good comparison.
    As mentioned above the trails of Aliso, El Moro, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park and Whiting should put smiles on your faces both up and down. By a small margin over the rest I prefer Aliso.
    Let me know the days you want to ride and I might be able to give you the local good stuff. I just spent the last four days in Sedona with my son and Hangover kicked my butt. The rest of the rides were real fun;-))
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Newport Beach/Laguna Beach Trip suggestions

Forgot to add the Whiting and STT/the Luge are fairly short rides. If you looking for a nice long ride I suggest combining them. It's about 15.5 miles total

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Do a search for San Juan Trail to Viejo Tie to Chiquito (Cleveland National Forest). It's a 10-minute shuttle--maybe an hour drive from Newport--but probably the closest to South Mountain in the area.

There are a bunch of fun moderately tech trails in Laguna Coast and Aliso, but you'll need a guide to find the best ones. You might want to cross-post this on STR/socaltrailriders.org to find somebody. Have fun!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Pachaven we might take you up on the offer. We re gonna be in on the 18th and our hoping to ride at least a few days during the week in the Laguna area if you can make it.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Great pm me your email and I will shoot over some Garmin rides from around here for you to check out.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!