mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Newhall rd off the 14

I got off the 14 on Newhall last weekend to go to a funeral. I noticed quite a few bike rider like cars and a few riders going to the east side of the 14. Anyone have info on trails there?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You can climb up the Santa Clara Truck Trail (also known locally as 'the beast'). At a little over 4 miles, there is a restroom at kind of a saddle area. From there, you can descend the Placerita Trail (aka: Los Pinetos), which is a fun singletrack, and then turn left at the bottom onto the Nature Center Trail that heads into the Placerita Nature Center. Head to the left again on (paved) Placerita Canyon Road for a mile or so, under the 14 Fwy, and then turn left onto Sierra Hwy, down to Newhall Rd, left one more time, and up into the P-N-R where you started. A little over 12 miles round trip with a little under 2,000 feet of climbing.

There are several longer options as the Santa Clara Truck Trail (it's a fire road) goes a loooong way up into the mountains to the east from there. You will only be limited by you legs and lungs if you want to keep going.

I'm your density
    If you get up into the burn areas from the Station fire, watch out for this ****:

Beware of Dog: The Little-Known Story of the Poodle-Dog Bush and Its Nasty Bite

We just finished hiking most of that section of the PCT and it's everywhere west of the Three Points trail head on SR-2 -- again, in the burn areas. We had to take a detour on Pacifico Mountain Rd. (dirt) and the plant is growing out over the sides and even square in the middle of the road.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Newhall rd off the 14

I agree, that's an awesome ride. Just watch for poison oak and hikers coming up the trail. On weekends their can be a lot of traffic on the trail.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2