smokers can ride too

newbie in san diego

Hey, I'd really like to get into mountain biking but basically I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm out of shape and have been riding my crappy little bike around in Paradise Hills where I live trying to get my legs and lungs used to the work out. However, I'm having trouble keeping myself disciplined enough to do it as often as I should be, so I'm looking for someone to ride with, either another beginner or someone more advanced that doesn't mind putting up with the ridiculous amount of times I need to stop going uphill and whatnot. I expect to get in shape pretty quickly (I'm not fat. I just have absolutely no muscle), and I think having someone to keep me company and yell at me when I'm being lazy would help a lot. My bike sucks (it doesn't even have shocks!), but I don't want to invest in something nicer until I know enough to know what's right for me (not to mention I'm broke). So it would be nice if there was someone around to teach me a bit too. I'm a pretty mechanical person, so I just need to someone to get me started a bit on what is and is not good to look for in a bike and I can run with it from there. Eventually, once I'm in shape, I'd like to start hitting some trails and hopefully have someone with me to show me how to go about it. Anyone up for the challenge?

used to be uno-speedo....
    I ride with my friend Dominique mostly at Lake Hodges. Its more or less a beginners trail. Your welcome to join us both for an easy ride.

How tall are you? I have a friend selling a Specialized Hardrock that is two years old and virtually brand new. She's looking for about $150. Its a great bike to start on.

PM me if you want to ride or are interested in the bike.

Good luck!

Jus' Ridin' Along
    Check out the San Diego Mountain Bike Assoc. (easily found through a search engine); they may have beginner rides scheduled in your area.
    I teach a new rider class here in OC (free) but it may be a bit far for you. It ends up being mostly women, with a few guys. We not only cover riding skills but choosing bikes and gear as well.
    PM me if you want more info.
    And my GF has a bike for sale as well; great starter FS for some one about 5' 7"

29er Hater
    The San Diego Mountain Bike Association is basically a trails advocacy group, if you are looking for group rides czech out http://members.cox.net/garyfox/. If you are looking to get involved in trailwork then www.sdmba.com. Even if you are not interested in trailwork, becoming a member helps support keeping your local trails open and maintained.

We do skills clinics twice a year, look for SDMBA's 2006 calendar of events coming soon.

mark@sdmba.com

smokers can ride too
    Yeah I did run across SDMBA earlier today. They don't seem to have much going on this month but I'm going to be keeping an eye out for when they do. It's too bad there isn't a newbie class around here. I'm a Bay Area kid, so commuting isn't a big deal to me. OC doesn't seem that far. The only problem is gas prices and my empty bank account :P

Thanks anyway though!

smokers can ride too
    I should also mention for anyone else offering me a bike for sale. I'm 5'3" and can't afford anything until mid-December.

smokers can ride too
    Looks like I've been doing my research properly! I did already find Gary Fox's site, and plan on hitting up the Thursday ride next week, and hopefully every week from then on!

29er Hater
    Awesome! Gary's group is very easy going, I'm sure you'll have fun. When you are ready for something more adventurous, you'll have to come out to Noble Canyon.

mark@sdmba.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

mechmann_mtb
    Shasha...

hit up aword4you (allison, my wife) on here. she is pretty new to MTB. she and i ride daley ranch quite often and wouldn't mind having someone else along to enjoy the scenery. PM allison and she will get back to you with the rides that she has planned.

smokers can ride too
    sweet! thanks! that would be the perfect combination of a another newbie to learn with and someone more experienced to teach us

MTG
    mtbr member

Late Post

Don't know if you'll even see this but, down at the Performance Bike Shop off Bonita road they have a Sunday morning ride at 8 am. There's a beginner group and the crowd is really nice. Tons of fun trails in that area and it's really close to Paradise Hills. Just get there early as they leave right at 8.

Mike

smokers can ride too
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG
    Don't know if you'll even see this but, down at the Performance Bike Shop off Bonita road they have a Sunday morning ride at 8 am. There's a beginner group and the crowd is really nice. Tons of fun trails in that area and it's really close to Paradise Hills. Just get there early as they leave right at 8.

Mike
    Ahhh good to know. This is the first I've heard of it.