mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Newbie with questions?

I am interested in starting to mountain bike but there are some questions that I need answered before I can totaly commit. First off are there many Downhill riding areas similar to Snow Summit? I live in Riverside but am willing to drive an hour or so to get to a good place. I have been to Snow Summit a couple of times and really like it (mainly because I don't have to pedal at all). But they put a damper on that when they closed it down. Second what kind of bike would you recommend. I am currently looking at Giant's Faith 3 and Giant's DH Comp but don't know if they are to hard to pedal for the riding around here. If you are wondering I don't care what brand of bike it is just how it performs. I want something that I can ride around here then take to Mammoth, Brain Head, or Whistler without having to worry about breaking it. I don't plan on racing but I still like going fast. I am about 6'-0" and weigh about 170 lbs. and want a bike for under fifteen hundred. My dad knows somebody that could get me anykind of bike at cost so that helps a bit. I also want to know how much time and money I need to devote to keep my bike in good shape. The last thing is I was wondering how often people ride by themselves because so far I don't know anyone else that rides. If you have any questions feel free to email me. My email address should be in my profile. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Glad to Be Alive
    first of all check this site out

www.southridgeusa.com

go enter a few races or just meet people....look at different bikes (maybe even try them)

that is a step in the right direction for you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! Other areas

I am going to visit there today on my lunch hour. I was wondering if buying a first year bike is the best thing to do. I usually think that the first year is a test year. With motocycles they pay close attention to the bikes so that they can make the changes before the next year models come out. Could this a problem with mountain bikes or do they have less problems because the have less parts and the parts that theyy use are not first year parts. Is their any other places to ride that don't involve a lot of hard pedaling.