mtbr member

Newbie MTBR - Looking for places to ride

I just recently purchased a mountain bike and went on my first ride last weekend. I had a really good time and I am looking for other places to ride in Orange County near Anaheim. My first ride was in Fullerton at the Fullerton loop. I have three other beginners that will be joining me and they could not complete the Fullerton loop. Could anyone point me towards an easy trial for a fun ride? Does anyone know if Irvine Regional Park has bike trails?

"so pitted"
    Whiting Ranch just reopened (well, opens Saturday July 12th) and is a good newbie ride. There is some climbing so those who couldn't ride Fullertion might feel the burn but it's worth it. Also Alyso Woods has a good run for beginners called "Coyote Run". Basically you take the fire road to the trail head. There's other great trails in Alyso but some of them require a bit of bike handling skill. Not sure about Irvine Park. Definitely check Whiting and Alyso. Also El Moro can be fun for the newbies.

If you need maps or directions check geoladders.com or mountainbikebill.com

Smile, say hello and have fun
    Last edited by The Crza; 07-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For beginners try Carbon Canyon off the 57 and Lambert. Take Telegraph to 4 Corners and back. 5 miles up of easy, rolling climbing, take a break at the top, and a nice fast 5 miles downhill all the way back. By easy climb, I mean you'll be able to climb the first part alternating between the middle and small chainrings up front. I took some total noobs there for their second ride (the first was Fullerton loop) and they enjoyed this much more. Much easier, and much more of a reward because once you've made it to the top, you have this nice fast and fun descent all the way back.
    Last edited by Tetsujin808; 07-11-2008 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check out those spots. I went to Irvine Regional Park this past weekend and found it quite enjoyable. The trails are not too demanding and are perfect for newbies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Next to Irvine Regional Park is Santiago Oaks and Peters Canyon is down the street. Wait till you get your skills up before trying the Oaks!!

Peters is small and has some great areas for beginners. So ride from Irvine RP to Peters. If you are cheap, park by the taco bell in between the two parks!! This will save you some gas money.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to add another post regarding Irvine Regional Park. They have a detour trail open right now and if you take it down far enough you can get to the dam where it has a pretty sharp drop to the bottom. If you dare to take the drop and continue riding further you actually enter another regional park. I can't remember the name right now but you can ride on several other trails when you get there. Three of us went yesterday and had a blast. I think it is a perfect spot for new riders. They do have some more challenging trails but they have so many that you can pick and choose which way to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think that other park you are referring to is Santiago Oaks.