Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newbie to Mountain Biking

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  kegrun 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the world of mountain biking. I have been wanting to try it for a few years and finally spent the money to buy a bike. Now what I have is probably not the best, but I was talking to the guy at the shop who said he was a rider and stated for beginners, what i got is a great bike and a great deal.

I picked up a 2007 Diamondback Response. I road it once on Sunday around the neighborhood and I like it.

I'm on here to maybe get some pointers and maybe some spots that are good for beginners. Im in Long Beach and work in the Irvine area.

I thank you in advance for the responses!!! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Don't worry too much about the bike at this point, just focus on getting used to it and making sure you have it set up right...saddle position, bar height, etc. Hopefully the shop helped you with that, if not, I'd go back and ask them to help you. My friend started me out riding in Peters Canyon in Tustin Ranch...its a good place for beginners. But depending on how much riding experience you have, you might take a few rides on paved bike paths first just to get a feel for the bike, build up some fitness, and make sure you are comfortable with balance, etc. Hopefully you got a helmet and either a camelback or a water bottle holder. It's getting hot out now, so make sure you drink enough water when riding. Enjoy!

#4 ·
Thanks for responding guys. I really really appreciate the information. I'm glad that there is a fellow LB'er here too. Maybe in the near future we can get together for a ride. I'm always looking for new friends and now riding buddies.

Thanks again guys.

- Just picked up a camelback for this nasty nasty heat!!!

#7 ·
pedalingnowhere said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the world of mountain biking. I have been wanting to try it for a few years and finally spent the money to buy a bike. Now what I have is probably not the best, but I was talking to the guy at the shop who said he was a rider and stated for beginners, what i got is a great bike and a great deal.

I picked up a 2007 Diamondback Response. I road it once on Sunday around the neighborhood and I like it.

I'm on here to maybe get some pointers and maybe some spots that are good for beginners. Im in Long Beach and work in the Irvine area.

I thank you in advance for the responses!!! :thumbsup:
Congrats! Where did you pick up the bike?

#8 ·
TeamRoundBoys said:
Congrats! Where did you pick up the bike?
well it's not anywhere cool. I got the best deal at Sports Chalet. Actually the guy I talked too knew plenty since he's a rider too. I saw that bike and went to a few shops to compare prices. I went down to 2nd St, some shop on Bellflower, and then another shop (i can't remember), and the best deal was the one at Sports Chalet.

#10 ·

In re: to starting out MTB the best thing to do after the bike is all set up for you is to invest in a nice camelbak as one other post suggested...on the road you can always stop somewhere but a nice camelback will only help. i actually bought the classic because i was very hesitant to leave the bottle, just got used to it, i have had the classic camelback for about 2 months, love it, but i am thinking about the MULE for the space. Good luck in your new hobby you'll love it, PS. Whitting Trail is a good place, if you go there invest in a bell or ride with a partner..at certain times during the day there is a lot of traffic on that trail.. good luck

#11 ·
alexderbez said:
In re: to starting out MTB the best thing to do after the bike is all set up for you is to invest in a nice camelbak as one other post suggested...on the road you can always stop somewhere but a nice camelback will only help. i actually bought the classic because i was very hesitant to leave the bottle, just got used to it, i have had the classic camelback for about 2 months, love it, but i am thinking about the MULE for the space. Good luck in your new hobby you'll love it, PS. Whitting Trail is a good place, if you go there invest in a bell or ride with a partner..at certain times during the day there is a lot of traffic on that trail.. good luck
I just bought the mule and I love it. It holds all of my gear plus 3 liters of water (or alcohol when going to the beach!):thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.