mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Newbie Going on First Ride Saturday

Does anyone want to recommend any good intermediate trails(just cuz its my first time doesnt mean im not up for a challenge) in the pasadena area. Ive been on Geoladders.com which has lots of trails and info. but i would like to get some first-hand feedback on a fun/fast trail for my first time out this saturday. thanks guys.

Aldo

mtbr member
    go to: socaltrailriders.org, they sometimes set up beginner rides there

FTM
    Mt Biking in the Pasadena area (San Gabriels) involves a lot of climbing. Might want to consider going up the Brown Mt. fireroad for your first outing. While it's not technical it will help you evaluate your fitness level and help you work on shifting gears etc. It looks easy but it tends to take a toll on new riders the first few times up.

Probably a better alternative would be to take the fireroad up from Millard campground to the Brown Mountain saddle. It's not as continuous a climb, has more shade and the ruts will give you a little more technical challenge on the decent just be mindful of the hikers. Hikers, horseback riders, and people biking uphill have the right of way and in that order.

Have fun, be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    FTM thanks for the reply. Just a few questions...

Could you give me some directions to either of those trails. From the info i have is Brown Mt. Fireroad a.k.a Ken Burton Trail? and is the Millard Campground to Brown Mt saddle a.k.a El Prieto Trail? I have a very rough map of some trails in the San Gabriels that i got from my LBS, but has no info on the trails or how to get there exactly. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Death By Snoo Snoo
    Chino hills/Carbon canyon might be a good beginner run, alot of climbing but you can get some training on some fireroads that will give a little bit of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Morales1320
    Does anyone want to recommend any good intermediate trails(just cuz its my first time doesnt mean im not up for a challenge) in the pasadena area. Ive been on Geoladders.com which has lots of trails and info. but i would like to get some first-hand feedback on a fun/fast trail for my first time out this saturday. thanks guys.

Aldo

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morales1320
    FTM thanks for the reply. Just a few questions...

Could you give me some directions to either of those trails. From the info i have is Brown Mt. Fireroad a.k.a Ken Burton Trail? and is the Millard Campground to Brown Mt saddle a.k.a El Prieto Trail? I have a very rough map of some trails in the San Gabriels that i got from my LBS, but has no info on the trails or how to get there exactly. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    For the Brown Mtn. Fireroad follow the directions on Geoladders for Brown Mtn - Ken Burton. The main differance is to turn around at the top and take the fire road back down. Ken Burton is quite technical, rarely used (no easy way to get help if you get in a bind) and the bottom part is a total mess from the stoms last year (even people who know the rout have gotten lost).

For Millard fireroad:
    Take Chaney Trl off of Loma Alta dr north about a mile until it ends at Millard Campground parking lot. Park in the lot and bike up to the campground. The fireroad starts on the other side of the campground across the stream. The first short section is the steepest but mellows out pretty quickly. After about 2 miles, the fireroad meets up at the saddle with the Brown Mtn fireroad which you can take up to the top (The start of Ken Burton) for another 2 miles of nice climbing. The first section of this road is also pretty steep but then it gets more rolling and faster - nice views and worth it if you feel up for the additional climbing.

Remember, don't get too discouraged if the climbing gets to you. I used to road race years ago but took about 15 years off before starting mountain biking. I was still in pretty good shape but blew up on my first mountain bike ride climbing these mountains. It takes a little time to get used to finding the right gears and pacing yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions and let us know how it went for you first time out.