mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New to Ventura and looking to ride

Hi, I just moved to Ventura last week from VA and I'm looking to meet some people to ride with. I ride an Giant Anthem 0 or a Trance X what ever the trail calls for. Post up and let me know when your ridding!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Here's a good resource for trails in your area.

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T.../MapsHome.html

I'd start with Pt. Mugu State Park, Los Robles (west) and maybe Wildwood Park to start out. Pt. Mugu SP has some of the easiest trails in SoCal, but also has several intermediate level trails, so it may be the best choice to start and go from there. It's also near the coast and generally a little cooler.

Maybe you could report back after that and let us know if you're wanting more or less difficult trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode pt Mugu and found it "ok" I would like something a little more challenging. I race expert/pro in the XC class and would like to meet up with some racers out here to ride with at near that same ability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    what part o' town did you move to?

you do any UA? there's some good chit in ventura. and a slew of killer watering holes in each part of town.

have fun.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    what part o' town did you move to?

you do any UA? there's some good chit in ventura. and a slew of killer watering holes in each part of town.

have fun.

I'm living right in downtown Ventura. I do a little UA riding but am up for any type of riding.

Is there much of a XC race scene around here?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is a new bike shop at 1987 E Main Street you can check out. The guy runnning it seems to know alot of the trails around Ventura and also he can tell you about the road rides. He hooked me up with a Saturday and Sunday group ride that goes pretty good and a Tuesday night ride that will pretty much rip your legs off. (Well mine anyway)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    is that the bike shop next to Bench Warmers?

i don't live in town anymore. but i visit at least 6x year. UA strictly.

"scene".. lol. the only "scene" ventura has is surfing.. and it's just barely a scene.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm an expert XC racer living in Thousand Oaks. Here's a link to my team's web site. Their based in Santa Barbara, but have riders from all over So Cal.

http://www.platinummtb.com/team.htm

The schedule tab will give you an idea of some of the local races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No, its a couple doors down from Petes breakfast house. Half a block west from the Ventura High School would be my best guess...Just a small little shop and a 1 man operation from what I could see. He is a good mechanic though, best one I have found in Ventura anyway....

REALLY?
    I live in Oxnard, I'm down to ride, PM me for my phone number Mikecking

I ride a Pro Flex 856 for XC stuff or a Iron Horse Yakuza Chimpira for DJ stuff.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 07-17-2008 at 05:45 AM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecking
    I rode pt Mugu and found it "ok" I would like something a little more challenging. I race expert/pro in the XC class and would like to meet up with some racers out here to ride with at near that same ability.
    Which trails in Mugu did you ride?

Define "challenging". Longer, steeper, rougher, ...?

Get a GPS and have fun here
    Last edited by pacman; 07-17-2008 at 07:50 AM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    From Ojai: Try the Gridley/Pratt trails.

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...AreaTrails.htm

If this leaves you wanting:

Ride up Gridley, turn right at the top of Gridley and ride up Nordhoff ridge past Sisar to Whiteledge. Descend Whiteledge to Sisar Rd. Ride up Sisar and descend Nordhoff back down and then down Pratt.

Remember: You're in the mountains, but bring lots of water because it gets hot up there.

Several other routes in the Ojai area too. The ones above should satisfy you for now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    From Ojai: Try the Gridley/Pratt trails.

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...AreaTrails.htm

If this leaves you wanting:

Ride up Gridley, turn right at the top of Gridley and ride up Nordhoff ridge past Sisar to Whiteledge. Descend Whiteledge to Sisar Rd. Ride up Sisar and descend Nordhoff back down and then down Pratt.

Remember: You're in the mountains, but bring lots of water because it gets hot up there.

Several other routes in the Ojai area too. The ones above should satisfy you for now.
    Those trails sound pretty sweet. Anyone ridding them tomorrow (Friday) or this weekend?
    Are they well marked?

That's gonna leave a mark
    Hey Mike, we have a local bike club of road and MTB riders/racers. We'd love to have you join us for some rides. SoCal Colavita is the name of the local chapter. A couple are Expert XC, 5 Sport XC and some pretty strong roadies. A few of us also do the MTB endurance races.

We meet every Wednesday night in Simi Valley for a 2 hour XC training ride and every Sunday in Simi for a 50+ mile road ride.

We also ride the surrounding XC trails in Thousand Oaks on Saturdays.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    any ride to shuttle to the top???

Quote Originally Posted by tmfc21
    any ride to shuttle to the top???
    Not sure who you're asking. If it's to me, we don't shuttle.
    Fat fanatic.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    we don't shuttle.
    shame on you Vince
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wasnt to anyone specific just a general quesiton if anyone knew of some cool rides that can be shuttled

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    shame on you Vince
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Gridley Norduff etc

Rode in Ojai today and the trails out there are pretty sweet. Tons of climbing and some pretty fast decents as well. Thanks for the input on where to ride! I rode out there solo today but would like to meet up with some folks next round. One mistake I made was not going early enough, damn it gets hot in the mountains.

REALLY?
    Rode in Ojai today and the trails out there are pretty sweet. Tons of climbing and some pretty fast decents as well. Thanks for the input on where to ride! I rode out there solo today but would like to meet up with some folks next round. One mistake I made was not going early enough, damn it gets hot in the mountains.

Sent you a PM a few days ago.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

I have yet to ride Gridley/Cisar. I'll have to figure out when I can meet you up there.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How long did it take you to ride Grideley? You walk the lower section?
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode what I could of the lower section. It took a while, not sure on the exact time since I didnt have a watch.

I rode what I could of the lower section. It took a while, not sure on the exact time since I didnt have a watch.
    That won't do Mike. Won't do at all. I'm definitely going to find a weekend that I can meet up with on at the trailhead and bring my Garmin unit so we have proof of how long it took us to ride the lower section. I might even have to bring my helmet cam...
    Fat fanatic.