Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    b a n n e d

New (sorta) to SoCal riding

So now that my bike is here (finally!) I wanna ride!

I'm looking for trails in the West LA/Santa Monica area (I live in Westwood). I work M-F from about 8-5 and its pretty tough to get out during the week (I need lights!!!) but the weekends are definitely an option.

I come from Michigan where we have tight, twisty single-track through the woods. I've never ridden an actual mountain before and my lungs (as evidenced by my failed climb this past weekend) are NOT in climbing shape!

official eMpTyBRain
    Welcome to So Cal, its all hills and mountains out here...

Keep at it and you'll grow some good lungs before you know it.

You can ride any section of Dirt Mulholland to catch some trails. The trails I like are Caballero, Broken Arrow, and off Kanan Dune road.... Backbone. You've also got Chesebro in Agoura Hills and Big Sycamore in Newberry Park....Wildwood Canyon in T.O.

I recommend GeoLadders for all the info you'll need...

http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php

Have fun!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    bad arse. welcome to the neighborhood. don't forget about north la as in the san gabriel mountains. that'll get you a lung workout

b a n n e d
    Thanks! I went again this past weekend and once again failed to make it to the top . . . I have, though I did get fair bit further! Progress rigth? NO idea what trail I was on . . .

And yeah, GeoLadders is awesome. I want a Garmin now to play the games! Not that I'd ever win, but competition is always good

I'm always looking to ride, and meet some new people . . . so post here if you want to show me around! And yeah, north LA looks great . . . but we only have 1 car so I'd have to carpool with someone from out here.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Thanks! I went again this past weekend and once again failed to make it to the top . . . I have, though I did get fair bit further! Progress rigth? NO idea what trail I was on . . .

And yeah, GeoLadders is awesome. I want a Garmin now to play the games! Not that I'd ever win, but competition is always good

I'm always looking to ride, and meet some new people . . . so post here if you want to show me around! And yeah, north LA looks great . . . but we only have 1 car so I'd have to carpool with someone from out here.
    No idea which trail, huh? Explain to us where you catch that trail or use Google Maps and or GeoLadders to cross reference your trail and find out it's name.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

b a n n e d
    I think its the Sullivan Ridge Fire road . . . I basically take 26th to Sunset, turn left, then right at the first light to the top. Turn left, follow the road, through a gate and up I go . . . never made it all the way

I think I need to find a new trail (I know there's lots of em). This trail just isn't doin' it for me right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Geoladders is a great to find trails.
    I did a ride called Bulldog this past weekend...it's fun one lap is 15mi with about 3,200ft of climbing. I like to do 2 laps and it takes about 4hrs for the entire ride. The beginning is flat then you go through the creek then end up at the old M*A*S*H (the TV show) site. That is where the fireroad climbs and you can turn around if you feel like it.

mtbr member
    Hey ptfmb71, could you point me to a map of that Bulldog loop maybe on geoladders? I live in T.O. and havent done that ride yet, maybe this weekend if I have time. Thanks.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    Geoladders is a great to find trails.
    I did a ride called Bulldog this past weekend...it's fun one lap is 15mi with about 3,200ft of climbing. I like to do 2 laps and it takes about 4hrs for the entire ride. The beginning is flat then you go through the creek then end up at the old M*A*S*H (the TV show) site. That is where the fireroad climbs and you can turn around if you feel like it.
    Looks like a great trail! Where's the trail head? Is the route relatively well marked?

mtbr member
    I think this is the Bulldog loop he is talking about: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...1&route_id=339

You can take Malibu Canyon Rd up from the PCH and just park at Malibu Creek State Park. Or if you don't want to pay for parking it looks like there are a number of other parking areas. This site has tons of great info for riding in the Santa Monica Mtns.
    http://venturacountytrails.org/Trail...viewLocal.html

b a n n e d
    Hey, if anyone is interested, I plan to go riding at the Bulldog loop tomorrow . . . anyone interested? I am likely to go tomorrow morning (hopefully early) so as to make it back to the bar in time for the Michigan vs. Mich. State football game (12:30 kickoff).

Go BLUE!!!

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    riding at the Bulldog loop tomorrow
    Don't want to come off sounding negitive, but if Sully Ridge was a challange for you, well just let us know how Bulldog goes.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Don't want to come off sounding negitive, but if Sully Ridge was a challange for you, well just let us know how Bulldog goes.
    + 1
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like he's on his bike from SM. If you were to ride up Mandeville/Westridge to the start of Sulli, then continue on, I could see how a newbee to the area could get wiped out.

Hang in there and keep at it. My suggestion, at least initially, is to park at the start of Sulli or Westridge and ride up the fire roads to dirt Mulholland, then explore. Lots and lots of great riding in the area. If you have an iphone, there are a number of GPS apps that work well.

Topanga Bikes also do a weekly ride from their shop. Good guys and great riding in Topanga.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz
    Sounds to me like he's on his bike from SM. If you were to ride up Mandeville/Westridge to the start of Sulli, then continue on, I could see how a newbee to the area could get wiped out.

Good point, I didn't think of that. H3ll, that would wipe me too - even after 20+ years riding the SM's! Again, not trying to be negitive, just when "Bull Dog" came up...

Stuff

b a n n e d
    Well, I went to Malibu today . . . I started at the Grasslands trail off of Mulholland and rode that to some unknown trail, then out past the M*A*S*H site and up Bulldog. I have no idea how far I made it up Bulldog (I really need to get a Garmin) but at some point I turned around and rode back down and out the way I came. I loved this trail, much more than the other trail I was on . . . I rode through a creekbed with lots of rocks etc. Much more like the trails I'm used to. It also gave me a really good feel for the bike. I am still trying to dial in the suspension though.

And yes, I'm riding basically from Sunset Blvd through the neighborhood up Westridge (?), then up a looooong fire road to Sullivan.

b a n n e d
    Although I'm sure many of you have seen scenes like this before, its (obviously) new to me . . . I just love the scenery, and I'm sure it will be even better when I'm finally able to make it to the top

Team Fearless Descender
    Good job 007. Nope, never get tired of those kinds of pix. We were out in the Westridge / Sullivan, etc. area today. Tomorrow likely will be out on Backbone. Nice bike, I'll keep a look out for you!

Stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi,
    I just arrived at Thousand Oaks and I'm really looking forward to ride your nice trails.
    But first I have to rent a bike (could not bring my bike with me)
    I think about renting one at Newbury Bicycle Shop.

Maybe I can join any of your tours? That would be great.
    What do you think would be the best choice for rent....front suspension or full suspension allmountain bike?

Daniel

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Good job 007. Nope, never get tired of those kinds of pix. We were out in the Westridge / Sullivan, etc. area today. Tomorrow likely will be out on Backbone. Nice bike, I'll keep a look out for you!
    Thanks! I remember when I first started riding and how challenging it was building up the endurance . . . it's even harder here with the climbs, but I bet I will get back in shape faster. Each ride, I feel a little bit better than the last.

I'd love to join you guys some time. I'm really looking to meet some people out here to ride with who can show me some of the better trails. I must admit that I do worry about getting lost . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice pictures and good job on your ride.

Bulldog is a test (I did not make my first attempt without walking). Keep at it and you will make it.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    007- you can make sullivan fireroad into a nice loop by head west (once you get to the top) until it intersects with the backbone trail, then dropping it to will rogers state park. i'd be up for doing it later in the month...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert
    007- you can make sullivan fireroad into a nice loop by head west (once you get to the top) until it intersects with the backbone trail, then dropping it to will rogers state park. i'd be up for doing it later in the month...
    Sounds great! Send me a PM when you wanna go. I'm kinda limited to weekend riding until I can get some lights, but I try to get out every weekend.

b a n n e d
    Bulldog got me again . . . BUT! I made it much further this time before I had to walk, and even then I kept going a bit more. I can feel myself getting stronger with each ride . . . .

I just keep telling myself that the further UP I go, my downhill will be that much longer

mtbr member
    Sweet, I also live around Westwood. I usually keep my bike up north so I've only managed to actually get out on the local trails a few times, but I definitely want to get out and explore the area more this year. This book helped me figure out the general layout and what's available, although ironically some of the maps are slightly wrong. I should be getting my bike down here this week if you'd like to check out some trails on the weekends.

I'm intrigued by the sound of this bulldog trail haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast