mtbr member

New question here. New to SD.. Any trail suggestions?

I'm new to San Diego and have only ridden La Costa reserve and Iron Mountain(courtesy of mountain bike bill). Any suggestions on which trails I should be riding instead of the above mentioned? Some info.. I'm not a fan of trails that consist of mostly fire roads, since they are more roads than trails.. Also, the more technical the better, prefferably going downwards. And I understand that in order to descend, you must ascend. I'm not afraid to climb, as long as there's something deliciously gratifying on the other side. Thanks!

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005

Elfin Forest

I would hit up Elfin Forest. I think it is one of the most over looked systems in SD.
    The "Way Up" trail keeps alot of people away. I take "Way Up" to "Tykes" to "Mariposa"
    to the Ridgeline Maintenance road to "Manaznita" to the Elfin Forest look out to "Equine Incline" to "Me-xal" and hook back up to the "Way up" trail for the descent to the trail head. You can throw in the Hodges Overlook to add some miles but it was closed the
    last time I was up there due to the fires we had last Oct. Very fun, middle of the road tech single track. It can also get very hot up there so pick times when it will be cooler.
    Also check out www.mtbbill.com .
    No paper mache bikes allowed.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member

Good deal!

I'll be sure to check these trails out. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    What part of town do you live in? I'd say add Ellie Lane to your Iron Mountain ride. Check out Mt. Woodson (Lake Poway), Ted Williams (Meadowbrook), Cleavenger (out past Wild Animal Park) and "trail in the Alpine area" (I'm not saying a word).

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt
    What part of town do you live in? I'd say add Ellie Lane to your Iron Mountain ride. Check out Mt. Woodson (Lake Poway), Ted Williams (Meadowbrook), Cleavenger (out past Wild Animal Park) and "trail in the Alpine area" (I'm not saying a word).
    Cleavenger is not a legal MTB trail unless things have changed. http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-rec...npasqual.shtml

mtbr member
    Thanks for showing me that, that is interesting and I honestly did not know that. I really don't think that the "no bikes" thing is posted anywhere out there and I have seen and spoken to rangers in the parking area before and after rides and none have said a thing. In fact, when the lot was closed off after the most recent fires a few of us bikers asked a Park employee in a truck if we could park outside of the gated area to access the trail and he was fine with it. Hikers have always been friendly out there. Place seems grossly underused and it takes some occasional riding and trailwork to keep the trail clear of overgrown brush.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Anderson and Noble

you have to hit Anderson truck trail- its kinda short but its got a fun descent. Noble Canyon is a San Diego classic- its 50 miles east, but its well worth the drive!

mtbr member
    I'm going to try out Anderson tomorrow. I just scoped it out on Mt Bike Bills website and looks like a good call. Thanks for the references guys/girls!

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    yo how was the noble run ?

im also new here in sd and i kinna wanna hit up noble one of these days, so let me know when you riding it again.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

Think Circles!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

riding buddys?

Also new to the SD area and need a riding buddy. Love fast xc and all mountain type trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkeyparts
    Also new to the SD area and need a riding buddy. Love fast xc and all mountain type trails.
    I've started a MTB forum that is mostly SD/OC peeps: http://www.dirttreaders.com. We post rides now and then. There's also the SD mountain bike meetup group and socaltrailriders.org.
    Last edited by el_d00der1n0; 07-03-2008 at 08:37 AM.