mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New to the Scene, recommendations please. Santa Monica area

This is my first post, My name is Thomas. I just got into mountain biking and going to try dirt jumping when i get more comfortable with my new bike, I picked up a Kona Scrap, got it from a pawn shop needing a new shifter cable and the chain is rusty. Really nice bike, been riding it for the past few days to get to the gym and stuff. Been loving it.

Id like to get recommendations for places to ride near the santa monica area. Also a good bike shop. When I was a kid id bring my bmx to Wheel World in Culver City but open to other places.

thanks for any help

mtbr member
    May 2008
    welcome to the adventure of mountain biking, be safe. closest trails to you are in the malibu hills, there are good maps of malibu sold by bike map dude (worth trying but i dont think those are very good trails). ive only been in that area once, when i looked around and the best site i found for trails near there is http://venturacountytrails.org/. also, there is a trail called hummingbird with shuttle access and a sweet half hour singletrack downhill. your not too far from santa barbara either which has excellent trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfreestyle
    Id like to get recommendations for places to ride near the santa monica area.
    The closest trails to you are Sullivan Canyon/Ridge and Westridge. I'm sure you can find them on the trail review section of mtbr. The other trails are a bit farther away. For starting out, Cheeseboro Canyon is a good place, and there are a bunch of other trails branching out from there. The Simi Valley trails (Chumash and Hummingbird) are great and fun, but farther away from you and more advanced, something to work up to.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by omouradi
    welcome to the adventure of mountain biking, be safe. closest trails to you are in the malibu hills, there are good maps of malibu sold by bike map dude (worth trying but i dont think those are very good trails). ive only been in that area once, when i looked around and the best site i found for trails near there is http://venturacountytrails.org/. also, there is a trail called hummingbird with shuttle access and a sweet half hour singletrack downhill. .
    Hummingbird is under 15minutes if you keep a good flow...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days