Soy Chingon

New to San Diego

I just moved to San Diego, CA and I'm looking to hook up with people to ride with. I haven't hit the trails here yet and I'm starting to get a very bad itch. If interested let me know.
    Rody.

mtbr member
    Go over to two places, register and post. You'll get contacts and results from:

Ridemonkey.com, in the SoCal section

SoCalMTB in the general section (the ride section is slow)

dead sailor

What kind of...

...riding do you do? And where do you live specifically??? East county, north county, etc? btw, most of the good rides are up north, around Escondidio
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Most of the good rides?

Quote Originally Posted by PickledFish
    ...riding do you do? And where do you live specifically??? East county, north county, etc? btw, most of the good rides are up north, around Escondidio
    the only rides in North County are Flightline, Daley, and Elfin Forest.

everything else is further south.

Granted, most of the good stuff is still closed from the fires but everythign should open this spring.

YR

Soy Chingon
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    the only rides in North County are Flightline, Daley, and Elfin Forest.

everything else is further south.

Granted, most of the good stuff is still closed from the fires but everythign should open this spring.

YR

Thanks for the info.

Soy Chingon
    Quote Originally Posted by PickledFish
    I live in Linda Vista.
    I like riding XC, single track, with some degree of dificulty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gallorody
    I live in Linda Vista.

Going to Mission trails saturday morning if you wanna meet up. It's usually myself and one other guy.

Trail Rider

Is Mission Trails open?

Quote Originally Posted by Big J
    Going to Mission trails saturday morning if you wanna meet up. It's usually myself and one other guy.
    I thought the only part open was on the south side of the road that goes by the dam?(Cowles Mt.?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mission Trails-Foruna

I was out there two weekends ago and spoke with one of the Rangers and said the trails up to Fortuna wouldn't be open until April. Cowles is still open.

fireroads

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I thought the only part open was on the south side of the road that goes by the dam?(Cowles Mt.?)
    are open but that's about it. none of the trails joining the east and west side of the park are open. Soycutt wash is stil closed so if you ride the west side you just do out and backs on the fire roads.

YR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gallorody
    I live in Linda Vista.
    Well, then here's a suggestion: go up the 15 to Los Penasquitos Canyon and ride the north trail (not the singles) out to the waterfalls, then take the singletracks and two-tracks all the way out to Sorrento Valley. The first singletrack you'll get, "Bridges Trail" is fun, just be a good citizen about it. The second singletracks you'll hit are SOON to be razed and removed, so ride 'em while we got 'em!

The El Cuervo Norte river rehabitation project will close (to everyone) the entire north side of the creek from Wagon Wheel crossing to Sorrento Valley and will entail the grading of a service road to allow the trucks and such to reach the rehabitation area. When they're all done, several months or more later, we'll get a multiuse service road out of the deal, but the singletracks over and around the washouts will have been eradicated.

Of course, you can mix the Del Mar Mesa singletracks into this for a longer ride with more singletracks. Oh, did I mention that the DMM singletracks will be eradicated by bulldozers in early 2005? Ride those while we got 'em, too.

RLX
    mtbr member

Smile Visiting San Diego SOON....

I will be in the Scripps Ranch area...any good riding out this way?????
    I like to ride Single track and Rock gardens...
    Plan to bring my bike on the plane....
    I would like to get on the bike and ride where ever.
    Thanks,
    RL

Penasquitos Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by RLX
    I will be in the Scripps Ranch area...any good riding out this way?????
    I like to ride Single track and Rock gardens...
    Plan to bring my bike on the plane....
    I would like to get on the bike and ride where ever.
    Thanks,
    RL
    is the closest thing to Scripps Ranch. most of the stuff around here has a mix of fireroad and ST but almost all of it is littered with babyheads and other nice rocky goodness.

YR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Re: North County rides...

Don't forget Discovery Hills which still has some decent amount of riding - although you have to climb through a couple of housing developments to get there nowadays (I actually live in Disco-Hills, San Marcos). Actually, there's several places around the San Marcos area to ride - behind Palomar College and around Lake San Marcos. Also, Lake Hodges has some decent single track - in the last 5 years I've probably seen 10 people while riding those trails - the majority of people seem to stick to the fire roads out there. Calaveras Lake in Oceanside has some fun trails.

There's gotta be some decent trails up in Valley Center - anyone ever ridden up there?

'nother good site w/ some San Diego rides... http://members.cox.net/garyfox/index.htm
    Last edited by Juliius; 05-23-2004 at 10:18 PM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    Don't forget Discovery Hills which still has some decent amount of riding - although you have to climb through a couple of housing developments to get there nowadays (I actually live in Disco-Hills, San Marcos). Actually, there's several places around the San Marcos area to ride - behind Palomar College and around Lake San Marcos. Also, Lake Hodges has some decent single track - in the last 5 years I've probably seen 10 people while riding those trails - the majority of people seem to stick to the fire roads out there. Calaveras Lake in Oceanside has some fun trails.

There's gotta be some decent trails up in Valley Center - anyone ever ridden up there?

'nother good site w/ some San Diego rides... http://members.cox.net/garyfox/index.htm
    I also live in the Disco Hills area. That was a great place to ride and trail run before the houses up Via Vera Cruz were built. Remember that single track that would it's way along the contour where the houses are? Very nice piece of trail. The plowing of the trail and installation of a decomposed granite trail bed and railroad tie water bars really messed with that trail. It was way better with all the rocks. Even though I live right there, I haven't ridden there for about a year (shame on me). Linking Discovery Hills with Elfin Forest is a healthy ride too. Or going East from Discovery Hills to the radio tower overlooking Escondido Auto Park ads some miles to the ride - just watch out for the dogs.

The climb up Bernardo Mtn. at Lake Hodges is a good section with few riders.

There's also Elfin Forest - not sure about the open status since the Olivenhain dam project went in.

Valley Center - no riding that I can think of. Most of that area between Escondido and Pauma Valley is either private land or reservation land.

In North County, but further inland there is riding in the Warner Springs area - Hot Springs Mtn (tallest peak in SD County and on Reservation land so it costs a few bucks to get in), Palomar Truck Trail, a bit of riding north of Fallbrook in the De Luz area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I also live in the Disco Hills area. That was a great place to ride and trail run before the houses up Via Vera Cruz were built. Remember that single track that would it's way along the contour where the houses are? Very nice piece of trail. The plowing of the trail and installation of a decomposed granite trail bed and railroad tie water bars really messed with that trail. It was way better with all the rocks. Even though I live right there, I haven't ridden there for about a year (shame on me). Linking Discovery Hills with Elfin Forest is a healthy ride too. Or going East from Discovery Hills to the radio tower overlooking Escondido Auto Park ads some miles to the ride - just watch out for the dogs.

The climb up Bernardo Mtn. at Lake Hodges is a good section with few riders.

There's also Elfin Forest - not sure about the open status since the Olivenhain dam project went in.

Valley Center - no riding that I can think of. Most of that area between Escondido and Pauma Valley is either private land or reservation land.

In North County, but further inland there is riding in the Warner Springs area - Hot Springs Mtn (tallest peak in SD County and on Reservation land so it costs a few bucks to get in), Palomar Truck Trail, a bit of riding north of Fallbrook in the De Luz area.
    "Thanks for the memories" That Discovery single tract from the lake to the top was my old favorite trail back in the days before that developer tore up the whole middle section put in that lame double track with water bars.

Knots Berry Farm at the end of La Costa Ave and Box canyon area are others which have been raped. Although, I still ride there under the radar because those rock garden single tracts are still worth it.

The top newer single tract off the fenceline at Flightline is always keeps you honest with off camber loose turns and some short steep gullies. I heard the man is going to extend the trail next winter for more thrills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah, that bit of single-track where the latest development is was really cool. When they first started developing that I couldn't believe there were going to try and fit houses in there - o well. Even tho ALL of the single-track on the way up is gone it's still a pretty good climb - just not as fun as it once was.

neway - we'll all have to hook up for a ride sometime...

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdbike
    "Thanks for the memories" That Discovery single tract from the lake to the top was my old favorite trail back in the days before that developer tore up the whole middle section put in that lame double track with water bars.

Knots Berry Farm at the end of La Costa Ave and Box canyon area are others which have been raped. Although, I still ride there under the radar because those rock garden single tracts are still worth it.

The top newer single tract off the fenceline at Flightline is always keeps you honest with off camber loose turns and some short steep gullies. I heard the man is going to extend the trail next winter for more thrills.
    Memories like that always make me cry. That new trail off the fenceline is a good one - needs a good rain to pack it down. That one downhill, off-camber left turn is a good one.

That "lame double track with the water bars" is dangerous, in my opinion. Ball bearing surface with sharp edge water bars - perfect scenario for a big crash by a beginner.